VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    [EDIT]: Note this is a follow-up to this older thread I posted on a problem, solution at the end.

Windows7: I am on the track of random reboots in my computer; it's not overheating, I triple-checked that and even had a small, hi-volume fan blowing in the open case just to check, but it still rebooted several times with the CPU registering 32°C under load. My case is clean of dust. The last dump file I have is Sept8th and it reports procexp113.sys as causing a system crash, but these reboots do not register dump files, so....? I have tried to find procexp113.sys and can't find it. I have Googled my fingers raw and there are various discussions but no actual path. One "iffy" website referred to the system32 folder, but I can't find anything there, not even under the Drivers folder under System32. Windows searches yield nothing. Does anyone know where this file is in Windows 7?
    Thanx
    Last edited by ranchhand; 28th Dec 2012 at 15:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried debugging the dmp files? windows/minidump
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2 things pop up right away searching one is "process explorer", do you or have you used it? the driver can be part of it. or a virus/trojan in c:/program files(or (x86))/common files
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't use *Process Explorer* on a regular basis, then probably that .sys file is a malware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys.
    "process explorer", do you or have you used it
    You may have a point; I used Process Explorer once this year to test but deleted it. Maybe that is where the old dump reference got the entry. I usually use Who Crashed to read the mini-dumps and it is pretty dependable, but I am not getting any dump files on these blasted reboots. I have tested all hard drives and memory, all passed. I swapped the hard drive, no joy. I think I am going to tear this box apart and test part by part. I am beginning to suspect a motherboard problem. Pray for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck with the rebuild. Could the file have the hidden attribute set?
    Perhaps try the command prompt,
    DIR procexp113.sys /S /AH

or similar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try it Dave, thanx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Follow-up and solution to my random rebooting and failed startup problems. Probably nobody remembers me posting this long-time problem I was having, but I have been wrestling with this up to the present.

Well, I finally found the reason. Unbelievable. In my searching, I ran across an offhand comment (not the actual subject being discussed) on one website that said an uncommon but documented problem with unstable Windows 7 systems was too many letters in the computer name.

Heck, why not try it? I knocked off 4 letters on my computer name in Control Panel, which put it at only 7 letters instead of 11. Glory be, all the system instability stopped. I can now shut down and boot anytime I want with no problems, and all random reboots have stopped. Unit has been rock-stable now for over a solid month.

All that trouble over the number of letters in your computer name??
    Good grief.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Give Microsoft a break, they have only been building operating systems for ~25 years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for coming back and sharing the solution. Not only am I devoting a couple of synapses to tucking this unexpected tidbit away for future reference should the need ever arise, but you have added to the knowledge of mankind and it is now documented for someone to stumble upon in the future and finally stop tearing his hair out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you have added to the knowledge of mankind
    Holy Cow! Now I'm really impressed with myself! Albert Schweitzer, Einstein and Ranchhand. Who Wuudof thought??
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    The Microsoft employees still live in the 16-bit era

(read: "names shall not be longer than 11 bytes").

Oy Vey
    Quote Quote