VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I am a newbie here and had a question about a problem I am having.

I have been using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter for sometime now. I recently ran into a problem trying to rip a movie I have shrank with DVD shrink. When reauthoring, at about 75%-80% I get a I/O error and the process stops. I have tried to use DVD decrypter with the same results.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bad burn, bad media, or badly looked after disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, whenever I have had problems copying a copy, it was because of a bad first copy. That doesn't mean it wouldn't play in my set top DVD player. Set top players are often more foregiving of certain types of disk errors. They will ignore the errors and play the disk. However, your DVD ROM drive will not do so when trying to copy a disk. It needs to be able to read every bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say a majority of my backups would display this symptom, was I to try to create a backup of the backup. Yes, I use cheap media, and don't give a damned, as the backup plays without problem, and I can go back and create the second backup from my original, should the day come when the backup doesn't play.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    bryano29 - You might go to http://www.nomorecoasters.com and look at your media. I have a friend who every now and then sends me stuff on DVD (it's very old stuff that is out of print on VHS and was never released on DVD) and asks me to send a copy to my brother (he's interested in it too) and I have just a horrible time making copies of his DVDs. He uses CMC made DVD-Rs and they pure 100% crap from the moment they are burned. I have to use multiple DVD drives reading each DVD in pieces on each drive and then reassemble them back to form the DVD before I can burn it because none of my drives can read the entire DVD it has so many errors on it. If you, like many people, buy crap media without knowing it's crap, this can certainly be your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The media I am using is Sony DVD-R's. I did not think they were crap but maybe.

It was a good burn and it is a brand new disc.

I am scratching my head on this one because everything that everyone is saying is not any of the issues I'm having other than not being able to rip a copied DVD...

Thanks for the help anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One other problem i found is the dvd burner cant read it due to there being another burner on the same computer,seems to cause problems with ide transfer,found this with a few systems i built,also the burner is a single one it might not be reading it due ide problems anyways,via is know for this problem.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Two things you can try...

1. Try ripping the disc with DVDFab HD Decrypter. It's helped me out on a few discs that had read problems. It may take some extra time as the program will slow down over the difficult areas.

2. If possible, try a different DVD drive. I have a Pioneer external drive that could not fully read a disc I created that I was trying to copy. Same type of I/O errors. I then used the Phillips drive in my laptop to rip and it did the job without a hitch.
    Quote Quote