VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=FAQ:Installation_and_Plug-Ins#installffmpeg

Might be old news to some, but I recently discovered this functionality.

With the FFmpeg plugin Audacity can open 5.1 AC3s, AVI's, AAC and many other formats. Unfortunately it can't save 5.1 AC3 but you can mix down to stereo and save as AC3.

Here's how to set it up. First you need to install Audacity 1.3.11 beta, and then find the preferences menu under the edit tab. Next, click the Import / Export option. If you already have FFmpeg on your system, click the find library button and locate the avformat-52.dll file. If you don't have FFmpeg yet, click the download button and a web browser window will open up with instructions for downloading and using the plugin.

BTW, you need to use the FFmpeg version written specifically for Audacity.

Source
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/10/29/audacity-1-3-6-beta-adds-support-for-editing-w...4a-audio-file/
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Unfortunately it can't save 5.1 AC3 but you can mix down to stereo and save as AC3.
    Yes you can. It has to be set up correctly in the preferences

Quote Quote  
  3. I hope that they will add a videoplayer some day, so it will be possible to work with audio in sync with video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How does ffmpeg ac3 compare to aften ac3?If its as good i might try this setup with audacity.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Yes you can. It has to be set up correctly in the preferences
    Nice!

Originally Posted by johns0
    How does ffmpeg ac3 compare to aften ac3?If its as good i might try this setup with audacity.
    Aften is based on FFmpeg source code, although there's been a lot of features added to Aften. Soundwise, at a high enough bitrate it'll be very difficult to hear a difference.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    My understanding is that Aften generates better quality/more compatible AC3, but I've used ffmpegGUI for AC3 for quite a while and it always worked well for me.

I've always liked Audacity, and with the Lame and FFmpeg libraries, it's even better. They have also improved the workings of the noise filter in the newer versions and it's a lot more useful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info Soopafresh and redwudz,the only reason i like to use it is to normalize the ac3 when you do the backups where the original ac3 is really low in sound and eac3to doesnt have the normalize option in its gui.

Update-I just loaded a 5.1 ac3 into audacity with low audio and normalized it and saved it as a 5.1 ac3 file,great way to fix low sound on 5.1 ac3 without having to downmix it to 2 channel stereo.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote