VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,

iam simply trying to convert avi movies which are around 800MB each on dvd so i can watch on my dvd player.
    hoping to put around 2 avi movies on a single dvd (4.5GB) so i can maintain the quality of the movies.

iam lking for a program that gives me the option of choosing file size, bitrate, resolution, so i can put higher bitrate for action movies and lower bitrate of others, and also choose the end movie file size.

TPGEnc 4.0 XPress" is highly recommended but it only makes mpegs not vob?? from what i know.

TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX Authoring lks good aswell

iam confused as to whats the diff. btw these 2 programs.

also since it takes about 6.5hrs. to convert 1 avi movie to dvd movie on my mediocre processor i want to know if these programs have the option of resuming since i wont be able to encode more than 1 movie at a time.
    Can i encode 2 movies at diff. time and then make a single project/DVD out of them with title and tracks list???

also if someone can tell me the "how to use guide" for both these highly recommended programs id be very thankful.

Hoping to get a reply soon.
    thanku for answering.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tmpgenc 4.0 is an Encoder, and TDA is an Authoring tool.

The latest TDA, v3, can import and encode .avi files, with a simple control of output file size. The output is a standard DVD. You can add multiple files, and then add a menu.

Tmpgenc 4.0 does not offer any authoring, but allows much more control over the encoding than TDA 3. You also have more options for file types to work with, like Windows Media, Flash Video, and QuickTime.

If all you're working from is .avi's, I would just go with TDA 3. But you might not really need to, since many recent DVD players are capable of playing DivX .avi files. Two things to watch out for doing that are: (1) No menus, unless you have one of the few "DivX Ultra" players, and (2) At least on the Panasonic I have, when the file index is viewed on-screen, the filenames are truncated to eight chars, DOS-style, with lots of tildes and mysterious numbers, so keep the filenames short (eight chars or less).

The big plus for going the DivX .avi route is being able to have more hours of video on a single DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use convertxtodvd. It will automatically give you best quality based on the amount of video you add. 2 movies you will be fine. Keep the encoder quality at medium not high, you will get better quality output. Also unless your source files are from a camcorder, uncheck the Deinterlace option. And the best part about this app is that it is fast, the fastest I have ever seen. I can convert 4 hours of avi (2 movies) in about 1 hour and my machine is not super fast. I have tried HC encoder with 1-pass to do the same job and it takes about 3 hours.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your footage is from a DV camera, don't deinterlace when going to DVD. ConvertXtoDVD is wrong to recommend you do so. Also, use the higher quality setting. Or better yet, use FAVC instead. The current version uses the previous version of HCEnc, which isn't multi-threaded. The new version of HCEnc is multi-threaded, and will use all cores on my quad core PC (although not to their fullest level, it must be said).
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks guyz.

My question is related to what "Semaphoric" wrote: "many recent DVD players are capable of playing DivX .avi files"

i dont have dvd player that supports avi.divx but iam planning on getting one, so pls. tell me that if i buy one that supports avi.divx will i be able to play my avi movie files that i download form torrents just by downloading avi's and burning them onto the dvd??/ or will i still have to convert those avi's in someother format??
    meaning if iam burning 2-3 movies that i downloaded from torrent in avi format, onto a dvd disk using "make data dvd" option in nero, will that play in divx supported dvd player??

pls. let me know and thanks again for replying
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can anyone help me out here???
    Quote Quote