VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I though I would get Virtualdub a try to edit some videos that I have. I used mediainfo to get the info from one of the videos
    General

Code:
    General

Format                           : Windows Media
    File size                        : 6.47 MiB
    Duration                         : 34s 550ms
    Overall bit rate mode            : Constant
    Overall bit rate                 : 1 570 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate         : 1 564 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-12-21 19:03:00.522
    Cover                            : Y

Video
    ID                               : 2
    Format                           : VC-1
    Format profile                   : MP@ML
    Codec ID                         : WMV3
    Codec ID/Info                    : Windows Media Video 9
    Codec ID/Hint                    : WMV3
    Description of the codec         : Windows Media Video 9
    Duration                         : 34s 535ms
    Bit rate mode                    : Constant
    Bit rate                         : 1 500 Kbps
    Width                            : 426 pixels
    Height                           : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Compression mode                 : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.490
    Stream size                      : 6.18 MiB (95%)
    Language                         : English (US)

Audio
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : WMA
    Format version                   : Version 2
    Codec ID                         : 161
    Codec ID/Info                    : Windows Media Audio
    Description of the codec         : Windows Media Audio 9.2 -  48 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR
    Duration                         : 34s 550ms
    Bit rate mode                    : Constant
    Bit rate                         : 48.0 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth                        : 16 bits
    Stream size                      : 203 KiB (3%)
    Language                         : English (US)
    I read bout plugins and installed the correct x64 plugins for WVM called WMV64.vdplugin and I also installed WMV9VCM (Windows Media Video 9 VCM) and also ffdx64show.

I'm running windows 7 x64 SP1. I can play the video using VLC and I get audio with out any problem, but just get this error.

Any ideas?
    -S
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	5795
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	10235  

Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Description of the codec:

Windows Media Audio 9.2 - 48 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR
    IF MediaInfo is correct, THEN

VirtualDub cannot play the audio part.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're using the 32 bit version of Virtualdub, it can only use 32 bit codes. Similarly, the 64 bit version needs 64 bit codecs.

Are you running the 64 bit version of Virtualdub?

In general, it's better to run the 32 bit versions. You'll get much less trouble in the long run.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If you're using the 32 bit version of Virtualdub, it can only use 32 bit codes. Similarly, the 64 bit version needs 64 bit codecs.

Are you running the 64 bit version of Virtualdub?

In general, it's better to run the 32 bit versions. You'll get much less trouble in the long run.
    So you must have missed that part after the output from media info because that is where I stated that I was using x64 version of everything (plugins, virtualdub, etc.)

BUT will say that I also tried the 32 bit version of everything and came up with the same problem.
    -S
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Description of the codec:

Windows Media Audio 9.2 - 48 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR
    IF MediaInfo is correct, THEN

VirtualDub cannot play the audio part.
    Could there be a chance that Media Info was wrong? Should I check it against something else or did I miss something when I was setting up virtualdub?

-S
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could always try the directshow input plugin if the other fails.
    http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.91.zip

quote :
    "So you must have missed that part after the output from media info because that is where I stated that I was using x64 version of everything (plugins, virtualdub, etc.)"

I reread your post, and unless I've been looking at the screen too long, it does not explicitly say which version of Virtualdub
    you're using.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I reread your post, and unless I've been looking at the screen too long, it does not explicitly say which version of Virtualdub
    you're using.
    This is correct. It also does not say the I am using the 32 bit virtualdub. I implied it when I should have stated it given the plugins and OS were x64. Sorry about that. Thanks for the help. Will try the plug in you mentioned but think it won't work.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You would be surprised how many posters either don't know or inadvertently mix-up these combinations
    of the application, codecs & plugins.

I tried the plugin with a WMV file of my own and had a success.
    As long as you enable the FFdshow WMA8/9 audio filter it works.

When you select the file in the Virtualdub file/open dialog,
    in the "files of type" pulldown, select the directshow input driver.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @ nzdreamer55: Apologies, I really should have taken the time to explain what I said

Unless you feed VirtualDub through the mentioned DShow Input driver, or through an .AVS file, it will require VfW and ACM codecs for working properly. Until now, there is no ACM decoder for WMA 9, WMA Pro and WMA lossless. Even when using the WMV / MKV / FLV input plugins, you'll still need the VCM codecs. Besides, possibly there will be troubles if an MKV file was NOT muxed in the so-called "VfW-compatible mode".
    Quote Quote  
  10. As was pointed out, VirtualDub needs an ACM WMA2 decoder to read that audio. ffdshow does not provide ACM decoders and the 32 bit version of WMV9VCM doesn't supply one for 64 bit programs. Is there a 64 bit version of WMV9VCM? I haven't seen one. VLC uses its own built-in decoder for everything. So being able to hear the sound with that only means VLC has a built-in decoder for WMA2. No other program will be able to access that. Just use the DirectShow source filter.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I gave the directshow input filter and the video played, but it was choppy and I couldn't do anything with the video (couldn't edit it). So while it did work (kind of), the resulting experience was less than what I was expecting. Bummer.

Does what Jagabo said mean that the 32 bit version of WMV9VCM has ACM decoder but the 64 bit does not? Could that mean that I could get this working if I use the 32 bit version of everything? I say I tried this before and it didn't work, but maybe I missed something.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  12. BUT will say that I also tried the 32 bit version of everything and came up with the same problem.
    If you are running 32bit version of vdub, you can install divx wma audio and it should work

0x0161 (or 161 is the codec ID as in mediainfo in your first post)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure why the video handling is choppy using the plugin.

I must admit, in the rare times I wanted to do something with a WMV file,
    I've always used Avisynth/directshowsource and I've never had a problem.
    Did you try this?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by nzdreamer55 View Post
    Well I gave the directshow input filter and the video played, but it was choppy
    VirtualDub isn't optimized as a player. But the video file it produces should be fine even if the source doesn't play properly in VirtualDub's preview.

Originally Posted by nzdreamer55 View Post
    and I couldn't do anything with the video (couldn't edit it).
    What do you mean by that? Was it slow seeking? Hard to get to the exact frame you want? Were you not able to apply filters? Not able to cut/paste? Not able to encode?

Does what Jagabo said mean that the 32 bit version of WMV9VCM has ACM decoder but the 64 bit does not?
    No, it means there is no 64 bit WMV9ACM -- as far as I know. If you need WMV9ACM you need to run 32 bit softare.

Could that mean that I could get this working if I use the 32 bit version of everything?
    Yes. 64 bit VirtualDub isn't significantly faster than 32 bit VirtualDub anyway.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Dec 2011 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am really at a total loss with VD. I can not get wmv files to play , always getting install missing audio codec. I have downloaded so many times the ffdmpeg aand k-lite pack it`s driving me nuts.

I place the folder in plugins or plugins32 ? Either way - no go.

Help Pleaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Atotaloss View Post
    I am really at a total loss with VD. I can not get wmv files to play , always getting install missing audio codec.
    Figure out what audio codec you need with MediaInfo. Download and install an ACM decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the delay.

I have smplayer which tells you what the codec is. I installed that sw you suggested but nothing happened. I apologize for my ignorance as it is clearly showing.

The audio codec is :
    DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg) (wmav2)

video :
    FFmpeg WVC1 (vc 1)

I thought i`d mention the video codec too as i see a static image.

BTW, I have VD 1.9.11 stable and 1.10.2 intalled in windows profiles i.e. same directory. should I omit one ? is this having a negative effect ?

Should I uninstall k-lite and FFdirectshow and delete all the plugins in plugins and plugins32 ?

Help .......
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Absolutely clueless. Extract this, extract that - WHERE ? PLUGINS ? is this where the codec folder goes ?

Quote Quote  
  19. Assuming you're using the WMV source plugin for VirtualDub: Install WMV9 VCM. That will get you the VFW video codecs and ACM audio codecs that VirtualDub requires.

Or switch to using the DirectShow plugin for VirtualDub. Then DirectShow will do all the A/V handling for VirtualDub. Windows comes with DirectShow source filters and codecs for WMV. DirectShow isn't always frame accurate though.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Nov 2012 at 06:45.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've installed wmV9vcm and 1st of all, I don't see any place on the web where 32bit and 64bit versions are offered. Microsoft just shows me one version. Secondly, no ACM audio decoders are installed that I can see.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you install the divx wma audio codec as poisondeathray suggested? It's a known problem for missing codec 0161.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/295962-WebEx-WMV-file-can-t-open-in-VirtualDub-says-missing-codec
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/divx_mpeg-4_audio_compressor.htm

Since I installed it, I have no problems with this error in VirtualDub. You might also reference:
    http://www.brilliantcode.com/virtualdub-is-showing-missing-codec-when-i-play-a-wmv-mov...gins-directory for setting VFW codecs if you have ffdshow installed.

Pay particular attention to the line in red to be sure you set the VFW decoders not the regular video decoders.

If all else fails, I would use the directshow or ffmpeg plugin (in the VirtualDub/plugins32 folder for 32bit VirtualDub) as jagabo suggested.
    Quote Quote