VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm new to video, or at least special effects and animated graphics. I've seen a lot of footage clips on stock sites with money (coins or bill), falling, or bouncing around or otherwise animated. How do they do that? Is it done with After Effects? I'm sure they don't actually use a camcorder to record actual money falling, so it must be animated. I can find similar animation presets for titles in AE, but I can't figure out how to get those effects on imported images, such as a coin or bill. If it's not done in After Effects, what program is used for that. It must not be that complicated or time consuming, because the people on the stock sites generally say they don't spend too much time on one clip or photo. But when I asked on one of the forums, nobody would tell what they used (I guess they don't want to give away their "secrets." If anybody knows of a tutorial that would be similar, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure they don't actually use a camcorder to record actual money falling, so it must be animated.
    I am curious as to why you are so sure they did not do something so simple? Is it clearly animated? If so it is likely done in something like Maya or 3d Studio Max. Which are not exactly cheap.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are also a lot of freeware 3D rendering software out there, that does a fine job (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_computer_graphics_software). So 3D rendering does not have to be expensive, but 3D rendering software normally requires some basic understanding how 3d rendering works and depending on the tool a lot of work on how to use the software.

Blender for example is a nice software with tons of tutorials&co out in the wild.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by connierebel View Post
    I'm sure they don't actually use a camcorder to record actual money falling, so it must be animated.
    A link to an example would be helpful.

Generally, the type of footage you've described is computer generated. Although there's no reason why it couldn't be shot for real.

The general process would be to create a few different coins/notes in 3D, then use a particle system to generate a large number of duplicates falling to the ground. I don't know if AE can do this, but any 3D program should.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, a better description would be helpful.

AE would normally not be used, unless it was a 2D "cartoony" effect. You need 3D geometry, and a physics engine (to calculate gravity, bouncing off objects), both which are lacking in AE without 3rd party plugins.

If it was meant to look realistic then, a 3D program would be used like those listed above (perhaps with AE afterwards to embellish)

It can be done in AE with 3rd party plugins e.g. with Trapcode Particular you can import obj files, and it has a decent 3d engine with physics, gravity, etc . Newton Motion Boutique also has a physics engine for AE

You can fake it in AE, and there are some examples with falling coins
    http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/motion-graphics/discover-a-lost-treasure-using-the-ne...hysics-engine/
    http://maxafter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=57
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Ethlred View Post
    I am curious as to why you are so sure they did not do something so simple? Is it clearly animated? If so it is likely done in something like Maya or 3d Studio Max. Which are not exactly cheap.

Ethelred
    You can tell it's not real, by little things like the way the coins bounce, lack of complete detail, etc. I mean, it looks realistic, but not completely real life.
    Here is a link to an example:
    http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-627406-stock-footage-gold-bars-and-euro-coins-fal...a-channel.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They've got a few free ones at footagefirm
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!