VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Dear VideoHelpers,

I recently moved, and the shape of the living room in the new place makes the 39'' of my current Philips 39PFL4008/98 HDTV a bit too small, so I'm considering an upgrade. I would like your advice on which brand/model will play most video files via the USB port without giving me the loathed "unsupported audio format" message. I know there is no one brand that will play absolutely anything I throw at it, but I am sure some come closer than others.

When I bought my current Philips HDTV I checked the specs to make sure it would play all kinds of video files via the USB port. But in reality, it only plays mp4 files. I get an "unsupported audio format" message for most avi and mkv files.

Just to clarify, I know how to convert the audio format so that my TV will play the darn thing, but I still like the convenience of being able to play a video on the fly, especially when I have company.

I appreciate any suggestions that you might have for me.
    eligen
  2. Then you come across new format like HEVC and you would not play it again,..., imho, TV should be just a good "monitor" where player could be obtained separately, today even android devices, where you make sure they have good enough CPU.

You might even save money to do that, getting TV that is not smart (perhaps just Netflix or some basic network apps). If there is a new format out there or 4k videos that your player would not handle, you can get new player, keeping your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to agree that, at best, TV media players will most likely be limited to basic audio formats like MP3, LPCM, WMA, AAC, MPA, and AC3, some of which are also used for over-the-air broadcast TV. TV manufacturers have to pay a license fee for each supported audio format, so they are unlikely to include audio formats that are expensive or less common like the various DTS formats or Dolby True HD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question: you definitely gave me a lot to think about.

Cheers!
    eligen
    Search Comp PM
    My mother wanted a new LED TV, so I helped her pick one (a 2015 1080p 32-inch Samsung smart TV) a few days ago. My choice was based on the good marks a larger TV in the J5500 series received for picture quality, SD upscaling, and audio on a TV review site, rather than the fact that it is a smart TV. I wasn't even sure it had a media player until I set it up for her. It is considered a budget TV and as such has viewing angle issues, but Mom is pleased with it.

I finally had a chance to go through the manual today. Unfortunately no PDF manual exists. There is only an e-manual stored on the TV, and the information about supported media types is well hidden. The TV supports a surprising number of audio and video formats, more than my 2011 LG TV. The TV does apparently decode regular DTS, which surprised me.

If you don't want or can't use a dedicated media player, Samsung's smart TVs could be worth looking at, although TV media players are still not on par with a good media player or PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Aug 2015 at 13:45.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My mother's 46" samsung bought in 2013 plays mkv,mp4 and avi(xvid) with aac,ac3 and mp3 with no issues as long as there is no head stripping and profiles higher than 4.1.Haven't tried files with dts yet.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look at Samsung HDTV's and LG HDTV's that are "Smart TV's"

Find a model you like using Amazon or Best Buy or whatever then go to the Samsung and/or LG site and download the manual. It should tell you what formats that model can handle.

My family bought a Samsung Smart TV a few years back and it can play MKV's but it's limited as to the audio (pretty much has to be AC-3) and it can't do embedded subs. My mom just bought a Samsung Smart TV for her bedroom end of 2014 and it's newer and can handle all kinds of audio in a MKV including embedded subs. My point is newer TV = more functionality. Also I suggest Samsung and LG Smart TV's since they seem to offer the most in terms of file compatibility. Still, be sure to check the manual.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote