VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have AVI files from my camera that are M-JPEG and PCM. They play in Media Player classic, Virtual Dub, media player 6.2. Graphedt and gspot confirms I have all needed codecs.

I can not open this in a avisynth script. Its a simple script the first one they teach you to build actually. AviSource("file path") I put the entire path and it fines the file but I get the error:
    AVISource: couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc mjpg
    (file path, line 1) yes file path is an actual path like c:\file.avi
    When I read that AviSource() uses Video For Windows I enabeled mjpeg in ffdshow's vfw codec, didn't help.

I tried DirecthShowSource() and it worked however-

I have a AVI with WMV3 (version 9) Video and WMA2 codec audio. Opening this with DirectShowSource() doesn't show video but gives audio in everything except for virtualdub oddly, it will display the video.
    Loading this via AviSource() give an audio decompression error.

Booth source files will play in all players with no issue.
    Quote Quote  
  2. AviSource() requires vfw based video decoders. Media players use DirectShow based decoders. You can use DirectShowSource() intead of AviSource() or you can get a VFW MJPEG decoder. Ffdshow has a VFW MJPEG decoder. You may need to enable the VFW MJPEG decoder though.

AVISource() requires ACM audio decoders. So you'll need a WMA2 ACM decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did enable ffdshow to do mjpeg and it did not work.

Is ffdshow's audio decoder ACM? That I am not sure about, I do know though that it doesn't list wma2 sepcifically but it does list wma 7 8/8 explicit.

Also what about the DirectShowSource() problem with the files that play correctly directly?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bigstusexy
    I did enable ffdshow to do mjpeg and it did not work.
    Did you enable the VFW decoder or the DirectShow decoder? You want the VFW decoder: Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration... You could also try another MJPEG decoder like PicVideo.

As for getting no picture in VirtualDub via DirectShowSource() try forcing ffdshow to output YUY2 or RGB. Add Info() to your script to see what AviSynth says about the video stream. Does GraphEdit show that ffdshow is doing the decoding?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigstusexy
    When I read that AviSource() uses Video For Windows I enabeled mjpeg in ffdshow's vfw codec, didn't help.
    Yes I did enable the VFW version and its also the reason why I tried DriectShowSource() for the wmv avi because ffdshow doesn't seem to offer WMA for VFW.

I can try adding info have to read how to use it. When you say does graphedt say ffdshow is working, do you mean on the source or on the avs?

The only time VirtuDub didn't show picture was AviSource() on the mjpeg avi and it gave the error in a message window before loading the file but I'll still try and see if I can change its rendering.

Mjpeg
    AVS:No
    Source: Yes but I let the system default codec handle mjpeg because ffdshow doesn't display all the frames.

WMV/AVI
    AVS: can't render.
    Source: Not for video just audio. I adjusted so it would do booth still can't render the AVS's video just the audio.

VirtualDub is actually the only program that will render the WMV/AVI AVS script with DriectShowSource()
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I have the WMV/AVI AVS issue solved, I changed the pixel_type output to "RGB" and that seemed to make it open up in everything everytime. Now as for the fourcc issue with mjpeg when its set in ffmpeg...

Anyone know any other vfw only players? I use to be apble to launch the old movie player via a DLL but that was take away in NT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can we see your script ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure this is the mjpeg avi.
    AviSource("C:\DSC_0011.AVI")

this is the wmv avi avs but its not an issue anymore.
    DirectShowSource("I:\keep\That 70s Show\Gits_opener.avi",pixel_type="RGB24")
    ShowFrameNumber
    Quote Quote  
  9. That is odd. So you are still getting the error in vdub with

AviSource("C:\DSC_0011.AVI")

Even though mjpeg is set to libavcodec in the vfw configuration?

Do you have a recent version of avisynth, ffdshow, and vdub?

What does mediainfo say about your .avi file (view=>text)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do you have Panasonic DV codec installed? That codec sometimes interferes with others. If you do, try removing it and using Cedocida instead. Cedocida is much better anyway.

DirectShowSource("I:\keep\That 70s Show\Gits_opener.avi")
    Info()

That will show you what colorspace the decoder produced by default, along with other information about the video.

Rendering the AVI file in GraphEdit will show you the filter chain that DirectShow uses.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here you go poisondeathray:

General #0
    Complete name : C:\DSC_0011.AVI
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format/Family : RIFF
    File size : 10.1 MiB
    PlayTime : 14s
    Bit rate : 6030 Kbps
    StreamSize : 17.7 KiB

Video #0
    Codec : M-JPEG
    Codec/Info : M-JPEG including Huffman Tables
    Bit rate : 5843 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 424 pixels
    Display Aspect ratio : 1.509
    Frame rate : 24.000 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    StreamSize : 9.75 MiB
    BitRate_Nominal : 5733260.680

Audio #0
    Codec : PCM
    Codec/Family : PCM
    Codec/Info : Microsoft PCM
    Bit rate : 176.4 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 11.025 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    StreamSize : 301 KiB

I have no codecs starting the P according to G-Spot, there is another one on the system that can decoded mjpeg I'm attempting to find out what it is.
    EDIT: Apparently quarts.dll can decode mjpeg does a better job than my current install of FFDshow.

FFDshow is Tryouts version 2135 Sep 17, 2008 I'm checking to see if there is a newer version.

I will try the info() avs soon.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, Microsoft recently added MJPEG decoding to quartz.dll. I doubt there's been any change to MJPEG decoding in ffdshow for years now.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm guessing its the mjpeg with "Huffman tables" that's causing the problems. There is also "other mjpeg" that you can toggle on in ffdshow that might help

Normal mjpeg files from your average camera (e.g. kodak, fuji) work fine. What camera was this from? Perhaps you can upload a small sample?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Yes, Microsoft recently added MJPEG decoding to quartz.dll.
    recently?
    :P
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is from the new Nikon D90... I'll try to upload a sample soon.

I'll try the other option, After working with you all yesterday I was thinking that perhaps either mjpeg was somewhat broken or this implementation was different and not really support by ffdshow and thus I had no acceptable VFW codec.

The videos play horribly in FFDshow by the way, ffmpeg can transcode them just fine however.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone wanted to know the WMV AVI file has info of:

ColorSpace: YUY2
    Width: 480, Height: 360
    FPS 25 (25/1)
    FieldBased (Seperated) Video: No
    Parity: Bottom Field First
    Video Pitch: 960
    Has Audio: Yes
    Audio Channels: 2
    Sample Type: Integer 16 bit
    Samples Per Second: 16000

I didn't know that we had space here before I uploaded the file somewhere else.
    http://files.filefront.com/DSC+0169AVI/;11953975;/fileinfo.html
    Click download file and you should get the original. The MD5 should be:
    426D4B907CDD1D97A87911330AEBE3FC
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by bigstusexy
    http://files.filefront.com/DSC+0169AVI/;11953975;/fileinfo.html
    I got an AVI file with MJPEG video and PCM audio. I had no problems opening it with VirtualDub using its internal MJPEG decoder, VirtualDub+AviSource() using ffdshow's VFW MJPEG decoder, VirtualDub+DirectShowSource() using quartz.dll, VirtualDub+DirectShowSource() using ffdshow's DS decoder, GraphEdit using ffdshow's DS decoder, and GraphEdit using quartz.dll. Audio was fine in all of them too.

Just tried AviDemux -- no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    likewise
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hrm, must be me then, I can't do anything but virtualdub using avisource for this file.

Graph Edit gives me "Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found." and mplayer 6.1 and classic give me an error from avisynth about nothing for the fourcc. I do have mjpeg and other mpeg set in the VFW portion of ffdshow, I'll check for and update to a newer version after I get back from some rounds today.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I used VirtualDub 1.8.2, VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2, AviSynth 2.58 Jul 29 2008, AviDemux 2.4.3 (r4276), ffdshow rev 2033 Jun 27 2008, and XP Pro SP3
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mine are:
    Virtualdub 1.7.8
    FFDshow tryout 2135 Sept 17, 2008
    AviSynth 2.5.7 I just downloaded at the start of this post.
    Don't have AviDemux haven't thought about using it but its going to be installed soon.

If you all tell me that I have to cleanup my codec mess on my own I'd understand as I'm am too completely baffled by this especially since I don't add much more than ffdshow these days.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I've also got a problem with mjpeg avi's that I aquired with my Hubsan X6 quadcopter.
    I've gone through the suggestions above and now I don't get this
    "AVISource: couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc mjpg" error anymore, but instead when I preview the avs script with mplayer I get a green screen and the correct sound.

When I try to encode the result with the x264_32_tMod-8bit-all.exe encoder, I get this error:
    fixme:avifile:AVIFileExit (): stub!
    mp4 [error]: failed to finish movie.

(I guess the first of those two lines might come from wine)

You can download a sample avi from here:
    https://koega.no-ip.org/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=72843aa0d73ab7fd85cbf21ab14c4a4c

$ mediainfo MOVI0043.avi
    General
    Complete name : MOVI0043.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 5.31 MiB

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Compression mode : Lossy

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 352.8 Kbps
    Channel count : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 22.05 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves

Anybody got an idea how to get these source files into avisynth?
    DirectShowSource also doesn't work, it got a more verbose error output, which you can also find at the link above.
    Last edited by kaefert; 11th May 2014 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's 5 Megabytes in size???? If I do a screen capture in VLC and save it as a JPG I get at least a 1MB file and that's without the AVI Muxing overhead or Audio, what the hell is that supposed to be exactly?

-Edit- I can't download it as My browser detects that site as a security risk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find it easier to just convert it to lossless AVI first.
    Yes, it's an extra step, and needs more drive space temporarily, but it's less headache.
    Use VirtualDub 1.9.x for it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Thats my private server and your browser tells you it's a security risk because it's secured with a certificate from www.cacert.org and they don't have the big money because it's a free community. You could try to replace the https with http which won't be more secure but will stop your browser from complaining

What's so strange with a 5MB sample video file?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess nothing, it just seems like it would be less than 1 seconds worth, but maybe that's enough to work with.

-Edit- If I could download the bloody thing.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    I think it's 6 seconds. Maybe try a different browser or install the cacer root certificates in your system
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The link is disabled. 5MB for six seconds of video with 352.8 Kbps Audio leaves about 600kbps for video, right about equal with my X264 encode of Ben 10: Omniverse at CRF22 for my iPhone. So it's low bitrate and you're trying to re-encode it. Do what Lord Smurf says, he's the professional.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub/old-versions#download
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Ups, sorry, don't know what went wrong there, here's a new link:
    https://koega.no-ip.org/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=72843aa0d73ab7fd85cbf21ab14c4a4c
    I hope this continues to work as it does right now.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviSource don't work, DirectShowSource don't work. FFVideoSource looks fine though, if you're willing to stretch the meaning of 'looking fine' to include your video, that is.
    Quote Quote