VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My husband passed away recently. I provided the funeral home with some pictures of him which they put on a dvd to show at the memorial service. They added background music and let me have the copy they used that night.

I tried to make a copy for backup in case anything happened to the original. We are moving and if anything happened to the original, it would really hurt. It won't let me copy it.

I called the funeral home and was told that I can't copy it, but they would make me another copy for $75. I cannot afford it. Is there any way the dvd can be copied?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Please show the Folder/File structure of the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audio_TS (empty)
    Video_TS -ts.bup ts.ifo VTS-01-o.bup
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What happens when you try copy it to your hdd? error message? nothing?

You could always try dvd rippers and see if they can ignore any errors like dvddecrypter.

Or try vob2mpg and choose the video_ts folder and make a single mpg from the dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any way to copy it? Yes. We have members here who could do it for sure.

Is there any easy way that YOU can copy it? Maybe not.

This kind of thing goes on all the time. I get into fights here from time to time with videographers who think that because they filmed somebody's wedding once that this makes them Stephen Spielberg and they have the right to profit for the rest of their lives off the event. It amuses me no end to provoke those idiots. This funeral home is probably the same way. There are ways to put what we call "bad sector copy protection" on the DVD and unfortunately the cheap ripping programs may not be able to handle that.

Try Baldrick's suggestion and see if that works. You can also try installing the trial version of AnyDVD and that may enable you to copy the DVD before the trial runs out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Joyful Noise111 View Post
    I tried to make a copy for backup in case anything happened to the original. ... It won't let me copy it.
    What specifically did you try so far? What software did you use?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted by Joyful Noise111 View Post
    I called the funeral home and was told that I can't copy it, but they would make me another copy for $75. I cannot afford it. Is there any way the dvd can be copied?
    Now that is worse than videographers trying to copy protect and charge more for each copy of material you own just because they put it on a dvd.
    They already charged you for their work!!
    And it is even worse that a funeral home would do such a thing!!
    $75.00 for another copy ?!?!?!
    Damn crooks!!!

A friend of mines 21 year old daughter died about 6 years ago and last month her uncle had made a DVD with photos and videos of her daughter growing up and she could not copy it!
    I am not sure what she was doing but when she brought it over I just popped it in, opened ImgBurn and chose "create image file from disc" and it copied it no problem, burned it back and voila!!

The funny thing is, she already had ImgBurn on her PC and I had shown her how to use it before and she said she had tried, so I showed her again what to do and when she got home she tried it and made 5 more copies herself.

Sometimes it's as simple as doing something just a specific way.

If all else fails I am sure there are people here that you could send it to and they would make you some copies and send it back for free!!
    Myself included!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted by Joyful Noise111 View Post
    Now that is worse than videographers trying to copy protect and charge more for each copy of material you own just because they put it on a dvd.
    They already charged you for their work!!
    And it is even worse that a funeral home would do such a thing!!
    $75.00 for another copy ?!?!?!
    Damn crooks!!!
    That's exactly why I enjoy tweaking those types of people. I mean if you can't charge enough for the job to begin with to make money on it and you feel compelled to rip people off for the rest of your life for expensive copies, your business model is broken. The most expensive brand new Hollywood DVDs typically sell for under $30, maybe even under $20 for many, so to charge $75 for ONE DVD is just stealing from their vulnerable customers. On top of that, I would bet just about anything I own that the funeral home used "landfill grade" blank discs for the DVD they made, so I wouldn't bet on it lasting more than a few years even if handled carefully and protected.

Thank you for posting that part about expressing sympathy for her loss as I forgot to do that and I apologize for that. I too am sorry for your loss.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    On top of that, I would bet just about anything I own that the funeral home used "landfill grade" blank discs for the DVD they made, so I wouldn't bet on it lasting more than a few years even if handled carefully and protected.
    Great point!!
    I would not take that bet because I am sure they did!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. You may try the copy tools in videohelp forum, i think most of them allowing you to copy one for free.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DVDFab HD Decrypter is free and copies protected discs. Try it out.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!