VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive got windows media center Vista , when browsing the videos, music, tv guide with the remote it just goes to a different section, sometimes closes the media center all together.

Little letters appear when click left and right. if going up and down in the menu it will select somthing like settings.

if in the guide looking at BBC it will jump to E4 which is another channel 10 channels down.

What could be wrong its not a virus as its only been connected for updates but it starting to feel I am not in control of the system. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is someone "pulling your plonker" with another remote control??
    which remote control??
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you considered the possibility that Vista is just a piece of ____ ? You really should. I'll spare you my long story, but one of my friends tried to add some memory to a laptop running Vista. He bought the correct memory and put it in correctly, yet Vista refused to boot and it required a complete reinstall from DVD of Vista to make his laptop work again. Lovely OS, that Vista - not.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have Vista on three machines presently. No problems. I just updated my new Vista laptop to 2GB of RAM, works great.

But I don't use Media Center and I don't have a remote for it. I suspect you have a problem with your remote, or the IR receiver, or something in the IR program that's acting up. Try this: Move right up to the IR sensor and try again. If that helps, it might be interference or a weak IR signal.

I would also look into reinstalling the IR program. Does your IR receiver plug into the USB port? If so, try a different port, and try unplugging all other USB devices for a test. It could be the USB ports messing up.

BTW, is your Media Center a prebuilt computer? If so, what brand? Any other specs, such as the Media Center card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you get a remote that broadcast RF. Then have a RF receiver by the PC that translates into IR and sends the IR signal out?

I've got Vista running on my laptop - no problems, but I don't know what amazing things I was getting with it.

I installed Ubuntu+Beryl on an old machine - wow, from eye candy POV, Vista looks silly trying to pump their Aero.

Search YouTube for Ubuntu+Beryl to see a demo.
    ---
    octave systems
    http://www.octave.com
    ---
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing wrong with VISTA other than the usual idiosyncracies associated with a new platform. Dos 2.0, Dos 3.3, Dos 4.0, Dos 5.1, Dos 6.0, Concurrent Dos, Windows 3.1, Geoworks, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, OS/2, Windows XP all had their issues.

But this problem doesn't sound like an OS problem.
    Does MC work from the keyboard?

Mark
    Matters of great concern should be taken lightly.
    Matters of small concern should be taken seriously.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jpavery
    Search YouTube for Ubuntu+Beryl to see a demo.
    Why? It's irrelevant to the post. Beryl has nothing to do with HTPC. The more appropriate comparison to WMC is MythTV which seems to set out to be deliberately like WMC. And even this provides no help to the OP.
    Quote Quote