VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking at speeding up transcoding times. I'm also wanting to NOT have to shut down Photoshop after saving large files for web (Not enough scratch disk...) a setting I've played with to no avail. Here's my PC:

Win 7 32-bit OS
    AMD Phenom II X4 945
    Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
    4GB memory

NVIDIA GeForce 250 GTS

Maxtor 250GB ATA drive
    WDC 1TB ATA drive

I'm sure those are the important bits. Not sure if I left anything else out that matters. I'm hoping to trade this stuff in, add some of my own cash to it, get something to help speed things up. I'm sticking with my current OS. I've considered a Mac switch, but there's that unwanted learning curve poking me in the side saying "NO!"

Regards,
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beavereater View Post
    I'm looking at speeding up transcoding times. I'm also wanting to NOT have to shut down Photoshop after saving large files for web (Not enough scratch disk...) a setting I've played with to no avail. Here's my PC:

Win 7 32-bit OS
    AMD Phenom II X4 945
    Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
    4GB memory

NVIDIA GeForce 250 GTS

Maxtor 250GB ATA drive
    WDC 1TB ATA drive

I'm sure those are the important bits. Not sure if I left anything else out that matters. I'm hoping to trade this stuff in, add some of my own cash to it, get something to help speed things up. I'm sticking with my current OS. I've considered a Mac switch, but there's that unwanted learning curve poking me in the side saying "NO!"

Regards,
    Mac won't help unless you want the same thing at double the price.

What exactly are you doing?
    What are your input/output specs? Filters used?
    What render times are you getting?

4GB memory seems enough but are you configuring Photoshop to use memory?

First change is to use a second drive for scratch disk if you are sure scratch is slowing things down. Big file photo users that can't afford to do it all from RAM use RAID for scratch disk.

Alternate is a dedicated SSD for scratch but what size?

If CPU is limiting render speed then buy more CPU or split work to a render farm like the movie studios do. Is Task manager showing your CPU pegged?
    Last edited by edDV; 20th Jun 2011 at 21:58.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm working with RAW files, convert to TIFF files (After some PP in Lightroom) and then bring them into Photoshop. When I save-for-web at their size, I can save maybe 5 or 6 in a row but then get the scratch disk not enough message. I close Photoshop and re-open it. I have it set to use my 2nd HD which has plenty of space. I just upped the amount of memory it can use. Hopefully that will work.

I want to improve my transcode times when applying color grading to my flat images. I use Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista in Premier Pro CS4. I'm sure my times aren't that bad. I'll have to do a quick check. What I'd love to do is import and edit native Canon HDSLR files. Right now I run them through NeoScene first.

While I didn't list it, my screen sucks. Depending on the angle I view it from, it changes in contrast. Makes editing a bit hard not knowing what it will look like on another persons computer. Any idea on a good monitor that doesn't make my wallet scream?
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any time I've used Magic Bullet it was all about pegged CPU.

As a Photoshop sys op you need to evaluate the weakest link ...

CPU will be pegged in Task Manager

Scratch disk wil be running full sustained rate.

or, all available memory will be used forcing page file writes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What does pegged CPU mean?
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CPU running 100% as shown by Task Manager (Performance).

You can also see total memory usage. The resource monitor gives more detail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU99.png
Views:	237
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	7506
    Last edited by edDV; 21st Jun 2011 at 04:31.
    Quote Quote