VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually have 2 problems, possibly related. problem 1) I cant access the internet through a browser. I use Internet Explorer and I get errors whenever i try to access a web-page. this happens in Opera also, and I cant even install netscape caz it's install wont access the internet. HOWEVER, I AM able to access the internet via Yahoo messenger, i am able to instant message people through YH, and in fact, and this is weird, when i click on a View Profile link from one of my friends, it DOES open I.E. and it DOES open their profile page, and from that point using that browser instance I am then able to browse the internet with no problems. This has been happening for months, even before I re-installed windows XP (sp1)

It is NOT my IP settings nor my gateway or DNS settings, as I use the exact same ones on 3 other PCs on the same cable connection and THEY all work PERFECT...

problem 2) this is a new problem, but now I get random blue-screen errors associated with NDIS.SYS. this happens when I do certain things over the internet, but not always, and I am not sure just what triggers it, but it always happens shortly after I have begun viewing different pages. I am using a belkins wired pci network card, and I would like to install the latest drivers, but of course cant get to their website to even download the drivers from that PC...

Patrick
    Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1 w/4.00gb Ram, INTEL i3-550, 3.2ghz, WIN7 home premium 64bit
    hauppauge 950q, 1600, 1250
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a good restore point you can use? Something that pre-dates the problems?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What does your HOSTS file look like?

It may also be a metwork card problem.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, if I had a restore, I wouldnt be having a problem with the NDIS.SYS likely

the HOSTS file is still default, only thing in it is
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1 w/4.00gb Ram, INTEL i3-550, 3.2ghz, WIN7 home premium 64bit
    hauppauge 950q, 1600, 1250
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can try winsock fix to see if it's a registry problem and restore your socket connections.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

Often works for problems like you describe, sometimes it doesn't.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just wondering why you haven't moved to SP2. You may get many conflicts using an old service pact. Installing the pack will also replace any drivers that have become corrupted.

That said:
    Try Firefox. It's really good. Sometimes my IE has locked up but firefox get's through with no problems. Are you running a software firewall like Zonelarm? If you blocked one service or dll it may be causing you issues when you try to access a site that needs that service.

You seem to already suspect the Ethernet card or drivers. Unless you can pull another pc over and wire them together via usb, serial or parallel ports, you will have to copy the latest ones to a disc and transfer them to that system manually.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pglenn
    well, if I had a restore, I wouldnt be having a problem with the NDIS.SYS likely
    Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You might have to reformat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try running Portable Firefox from a USB flashcard, it may bypass the problem.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote