VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I'm searching to know how could be done an effect that move the camera but keep the people static in the action, like this sample. This is "In One Breath - Philips Carousel" video. The entire video can be found here. And there is a Making Of explaining how they did it here.

But I'd like to know if there is a software where I can do this:
    1 - take 2 pictures of the same subject, but moving the camera some meters around it
    2 - use this pictures, as keyframes, to make a small video
    3 - the software renders the absent frames between the 2 pics.

I'm not interested to make a big scene, but a small one, just using software to render the intermediate frames between only 2 keyframes. At the Making Of they said that were used many other technics.

I know that. But the question here is if there is a software to render intermediate frames like described above?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. But I'd like to know if there is a software where I can do this:
    1 - take 2 pictures of the same subject, but moving the camera some meters around it
    2 - use this pictures, as keyframes, to make a small video
    3 - the software renders the absent frames between the 2 pics.
    Nope, not with any accuracy from 2 static frames

There was another thread describing other ways to achieve this effect. In summary - they all involve clean plates, or taking video take of a background (with camera move locked down on apparatus), then compositing objects in after with multiple passes. If you only have 1 take, then you can do 3d camera tracking to composite things in afterwards

"The Other Guys" movie also uses this effect, there are some videos and discussions on how that was done as well
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Nope, not with any accuracy from 2 static frames
    I suspect that.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    There was another thread describing other ways to achieve this effect.
    Do you know the name of that effect? There are to many effects around, time-lapse, bullet-time, etc., pehaps there is a name for this one.

BTW, I may take a video shoot of the background and overlay the foreground later (chroma key?). But I think I'll never get the rotation of the actors looks right, unless I make a 3d model and render it using 3dmax or similar. Right?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jairovital View Post

BTW, I may take a video shoot of the background and overlay the foreground later (chroma key?). But I think I'll never get the rotation of the actors looks right, unless I make a 3d model and render it using 3dmax or similar. Right?
    It depends on the specific type of camera movement. The software used and the method you choose depends if there is scale, rotation, x/y translation , perspective, parallax effects, lens distortions.

If it's a simple camera movement, like a linear pan, then you don' t need (very) expensive software. A simple 2D track will suffice and you can composite elements in afterwards

The way they do it with unlimited budget is setup the camera on a mechanical rig, so the camera movement is 100% identical between takes, so that generates your "clean plate". It makes it a lot easier in post production to do whatever you want (lots of flexibility and very fast)

But if you only have 1 take or don't have expensive rig, and the camera motion is complex - you need to do a 3D motion track and re-create the scene in a 3D program. The cheapest way is blender (free). The next is probably After Effects with the Foundry Camera Tracker Plugin . More expensive ways are like boujou, PF Track, NukeX -these are used in big budget productions

I don't know if there is a dedicated name. It's referred to the "Phillips Carosel" or "The Other Guys" effect Bullet time is slightly different technique used in the matrix
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is a nice effect. Links posted by tin2tin, it might be useful to you: Camera Mapping.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/336283-Blender-Tutorials-for-the-Video-People?p=209...=1#post2093212
    Quote Quote  
  6. To poisondeathray:

Do you think it might be possible to tween different angle shots this way in Blender, using the clone tool to fill between static images to give the illusion of a tracking shot? I don't know much about Blender, but the fact that movie clips can be imported, must give credence to the possibility of a 3D montage. It's a fascinating program...looks damn hard to use though!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Camera mapping techniques are quite limited - it depends on the type of shot you're going for and the extent and type of camera movement you have planned

For example, camera mapping from a pair of stills would be very difficult to produce this something like this:
    http://red.cachefly.net/Glidetime.mov

or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5niaBQEpVQ
    Quote Quote  
  8. Cool clips! Yes, I see your point.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It depends on the specific type of camera movement. The software used and the method you choose depends if there is scale, rotation, x/y translation , perspective, parallax effects, lens distortions.

But if you only have 1 take or don't have expensive rig, and the camera motion is complex - you need to do a 3D motion track and re-create the scene in a 3D program. The cheapest way is blender (free). The next is probably After Effects with the Foundry Camera Tracker Plugin . More expensive ways are like boujou, PF Track, NukeX -these are used in big budget productions
    Man, you master everything here!!! (clap clap clap) {I couldn't find smiley for applause...}

No, my goal was very simple and modest: just to make some tricks with the camera using wife and kid. Domestic toys. And, of course, to learn a little bit more.

Your suggestions gave to me many ideas. Time to study.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. For who are interested in such kind of phenomena like Philips Carousel, an example where the water seems to be static. Here, the guy could synchronize the frame rate and shutter of the camera to the get the right effect.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote