VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone point me to a good HD-DVD conversion tutorial. I have my obsolete XBOX360 HD drive hooked to my computer. I just want to save the movies. I tried many of the guides I could find on the internet but when I load the video it doesn't seem to work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to what?

You can use MakeMKV to make one single MKV file from the HD-DVD. No video/audio reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used MakeMKV and this is what I get:

VC-1 video stream without TFCNTR information is not supported, sorry. Few HD-DVDs use it anyway.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #0 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    VC-1 video stream without TFCNTR information is not supported, sorry. Few HD-DVDs use it anyway.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #4 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #8 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #10 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #11 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #17 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #18 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #21 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #22 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #23 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Failed to decode audio/video data for title #24 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
    Operation sucessfully completed

So I don't know if I don't have a codec or something installed properly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Don't rule out it simply being MakeMKV behaving badly. I'm very glad it's currently available for free (temporarily) while in beta test because I think it's craptacular. I've yet to get it to produce anything for me. I always get an error when using it.

I looked on the official forum and I see that for some people it works great, for others it basically doesn't work at all and if it doesn't work at all for you, nobody seems to have any ideas on what to do about it.

I don't think there are any free HD DVD rippers. Basically if you can find a way to rip the disc to your hard drive, you can convert it at that point to some other format such as MKV. It's possible to use something like MKVMerge to create the MKV yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VC-1 is not supported. Then try something else.

Try rip the hd-dvd to your hdd using dvdfab decrypter and play the evo file with mpchc,vlc,kmplayer. If you want to shrink I gues you can use ripbot264(click on it for guides).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD-DVD is supported by eac3to for demuxing video streams to mkv and demuxing/converting audio streams to ac3, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If VC-1 is truly not supported by MakeMKV, then that essentially rules it out for HD-DVD use. The vast majority of HD-DVDs used VC-1 video.

Perhaps GeeForce11's suggestion is the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I got DumpHD to work very nicely. I found the Key.cfg at doom9.org, installed the Java runtime (server) and UDF 2.5 drivers and worked like a charm on Grand Prix and Dune.
    I am no trying to decide whether to go straight to DVD Video or try to make a Blu-ray on a DVD...
    Quote Quote  
  9. You may find some useful information in the post that I started here, https://forum.videohelp.com/topic378404.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dvd3500
    I got DumpHD to work very nicely. I found the Key.cfg at doom9.org, installed the Java runtime (server) and UDF 2.5 drivers and worked like a charm on Grand Prix and Dune.
    I am no trying to decide whether to go straight to DVD Video or try to make a Blu-ray on a DVD...
    Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. And I see you have the same Blu-Ray set-top player as me, it'll play BDRB re-encodes just fine, either full disc or movie-only.

Maybe I'll have another go with DumpHD, it defeated me the last time. Is there a thread at Doom9 with a Key database?

[EDIT] Before I get accused of being too lazy...found it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. My ripped HD-DVD .evo files all "play" well in VLC and MPC, but the AUDIO is completely garbled. I don't get why those same programs can decode just about anything Blu-Ray, but can't handle HD-DVD audio... isn't it the same format, basically?
    Quote Quote  
  12. My own solution was to use Clown-BD to convert the ripped HD-DVD into a Blu-Ray structure (you can then just copy out the .m2ts movie file if you like). This solution has worked perfectly on every disc I've tried thusfar.
    Quote Quote