VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I do weddings and I'd like to move to offering USB pen drives with my films on. The problem is I output currently as HD m2v and 5.1 ac3 using premiere surround sound plugin surcode. I know the most compatible format to putput to for USB is probably 1080p h.264 .mp4 file but there is no way that I can see to export these in 5.1 sound, only stereo.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I can't seem to find anyone who exports for USB without using stereo sound.

Also I don't suppose there is any way to get some kind of menu structure in place via usb is there?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's easy enough to output your video and audio streams separately and mux them with ffmpeg, for example. But the bigger issue is universal compatibility.

Right now I deliver on DVD, Blu Ray and adaptive online streaming, simply because there are "universal" standards for these and folks can watch with minimal grief for them and me. With shows like weddings especially, which are consumer oriented, you have no idea what kind of gear they are going to be playing it on, you will spend a lot of time fielding phone calls because the video "doesn't work."

I'm generally happy to deliver on USB sticks to commercial clients, but I wouldn't bother with it at this point for end users.

This is a really important question, because DVD and Blu Ray are being phased out on the hardware and software side of production (see Apple and Adobe) but nothing fully adequate, fully compliant is taking its place.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    Also I don't suppose there is any way to get some kind of menu structure in place via usb is there?
    For all practical purposes, I think the answer is "No". There was software available at one time (DivX Author) for creating DivX Ultra files with menus, but it was discontinued and there are few consumer devices that support the menu feature. MKV is supposed to have the ability provide menus, but I don't think the work on the specification for it was ever completed, and there is no authoring software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks chaps I'm going to look into ffmpeg and run some tests.
    Quote Quote