VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there,

I am certainly a newbie to this but here's my dilemma.

I bought the MLB.TV package on MLB.com, which allows me to watch baseball games on my laptop. I have a strong connection and they run fairly smoothly. Here's my issue. I have a fairly small screen, apx. 13 inches on my Sony Vaio SZ series laptop, running Windows Vista Business. I have a very nice, 30 inch television that I would love to hook my laptop up to. This would enable me to watch my baseball games on my television, through the streaming MLB.TV.

But, my laptop has no S-Video slots. So, I can't just hook up an S-Video cable. I also found that my TV does not have a VGA spot. It's got the red, yellow, white cable slots (RCA I believe?) and an S-Video spot. Is there anything I can do?

The TV is a Memorex, fairly old, but it's got a good screen. I can't afford a brand new TV with the VGA spot. I looked into getting the VGA to RCA/S-video cords but I hear that isn't enough. I need some sort of adapter for my video card? Ugh, I have no idea. I'm not sure what my video card is. Whatever comes standard with the SZ laptop. It has two, an integrated one and I THINK an NVidia one.

Can I do anything?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this component in another thread.

http://sewelldirect.com/PC-to-TV-Converter.asp?altProduct=SW-4262

Would that work for me?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also found this product on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Notebook-VGA-to-AV-S-Video-TV-Converter-Switch-Box-1_W0QQitemZ2...QQcmdZViewItem

It's cheaper with free shipping. Would something like that work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by eadavis
    I also found this product on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Notebook-VGA-to-AV-S-Video-TV-Converter-Switch-Box-1_W0QQitemZ2...QQcmdZViewItem

It's cheaper with free shipping. Would something like that work?
    It's the same as the sewell product but it's shipped from Hong Kong and they only accept PayPal...buyer beware.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, would these products work, given my situation?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, those type of VGA to s-video scan converters should work. Note that the cheaper ones require the VGA output be set at 1024x768 or less. For example, the device eadavis linked to says:

Input VGA Resolution 640x480 @ 60/ 72/ 75/ 85Hz , 800x600 @ 60/ 75Hz, 1024x768 @ 60/ 75Hz
    So you might have to change your resolution (leaving you with a degraded desktop) to watch on TV.
    Quote Quote