VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Possibly not a question that can be definitively answered, but...

I've just gone to the trouble of backing up a 20-disc boxset of DVDs to MPEG-4, encoding all episodes, deleted scenes and other bonus material to individual video files. The set is 'Travels by Palin', compiling the various travel series Michael Palin did for the BBC. The DVDs include subtitles as a menu option, but I never went to the bother of checking to see if any subtitles were "forced" (and consequently should have been encoded into my back-ups), and since encoding to MPEG-4, I have deleted all the VOB files.

Do I need to re-rip everything to check for forced subtitles? Or can I assume that DVD releases of TV series don't include forced subtitles? My feeling is that any such subtitles (if present) would already be burnt into the original TV video even before transfer to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just check for a scene where forced subs are needed,that will tell you.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's a problem for foreign TV stations too. US and British TV shows shown here in Germany on TV have that same problem. Original English and German dubbed are available, but when a third language is involved you are left clueless as to what they are saying.
    Quote Quote