VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello guys, i love this forum and i need you to help me a little bit with encoding

always when i try to encode a REMUX bluray .mkv which i have downloaded via torrent to avi via staxrip i get a iostream error or something, ALWYAS! do you know why and do you know how to fix this?

also i would like to know whats the sense of x264 xvid Movies, are they better in quality or what?
    whats a H264 Movie, i saw this option in some encoders.

can someone give me a guide how to rip a complete bluray to 720p bluray?

what is better, AAC audio or ac3, because many use now AAC.

thanks and have a nice day
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nero AAC is the best audio codec out there. AC3 blows ****, even MP3 scraps the floor with it.

always when i try to encode a REMUX bluray .mkv which i have downloaded via torrent to avi via staxrip i get a iostream error or something, ALWYAS! do you know why and do you know how to fix this?
    So you are trying to remux a H264 .MKV to AVI? I haven't used staxrip, but you should try AVC2AVI and see if it works. The reason it might be failing is because it might contain HE-AAC audio which AVI does not support, and I'm not sure about other formats like DTS.

You might have to reencode the audio to MP3/AC3. Why are you remuxing to AVI?

also i would like to know whats the sense of x264 xvid Movies, are they better in quality or what?
    H.264 is a format which is higher quality at the same bitrate as XviD. Ditch XviD completely, it's outdated and it sucks.

can someone give me a guide how to rip a complete bluray to 720p bluray?
    Do some searching, there are plenty out there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. h.264 (AKA MPEG 4 part 2, AVC) is a more advanced video compression technique than Xvid/Divx (MPEG 4 part 2, ASP) which is a more advanced than MPEG 2. So h.264 can compress video more/better than those other codecs.

AVI is not a good choice of container for h.264 video. Stick with MP4 or MKV which are better designed to support advanced video codecs.

The best quality audio you will get is to retain the audio in whatever format it is on your source. Any re-compression with a lossy codec can only reduce the quality. So if you're ripping a DVD, keep the original AC3 audio track intact. If you're ripping a BD keep the original DD or DTS track(s).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The best quality audio you will get is to retain the audio in whatever format it is on your source. Any re-compression with a lossy codec can only reduce the quality. So if you're ripping a DVD, keep the original AC3 audio track intact. If you're ripping a BD keep the original DD or DTS track(s).
    I agree with jagabo; Any re-compression of audio will degrade the quality of the track.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 27th Apr 2012 at 17:51.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nero AAC is the best audio codec out there. AC3 blows ****, even MP3 scraps the floor with it.
    Nero is good but not the best my friend.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161957
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    Nero AAC is the best audio codec out there. AC3 blows ****, even MP3 scraps the floor with it.
    Love how Nero has the lowest bitrate on nearly every sample in that test.
    Love how few participants it had.
    Love how that is the first and only listening test on that site where Nero scores so low.
    Love how it triumphs on every single previous test.

Love how you base your opinion on one single flawed test without the tiniest skepticism.

Besides, if I were you I would follow more reliable sources, like http://soundexpert.org/encoders-96-kbps where the testing methodology is considerably more rigorous and removes a lot more variables. Hydrogenaudio is full of autistic queers living in their moms basements and I would sooner trust my cat's ears than theirs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    Nero AAC is the best audio codec out there. AC3 blows ****, even MP3 scraps the floor with it.
    ... Hydrogenaudio is full of autistic queers living in their moms basements and I would sooner trust my cat's ears than theirs...
    That's certainly the stupidest thing I've heard today, but it's still early ...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Actually, cats have much better hearing than humans. Getting them to take ABX tests is the hard part.
    Quote Quote  
  9. They can hear much higher pitches, and that's it. Our hearing is superior in every other way, so I certainly won't care about "high quality" 192 kHz DVD-audio, but I still buy them for my cat.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for all questions, will now use x264 Codec + AAC.

I try to encode now with Handbrake.
    Can you explain this options for me:
    Detelecine
    Decom
    Deinterlace, important?
    Denoise
    how much bitrate should i always use, 1500 is enough i guess?
    there are many aac types, ffmpeg, passthru, faac, which one is the best and how much bitrate (448?) and samplerate (i think 48) should i always use?
    Quote Quote  
  11. wouldn't be simpler to just start encoding with ripbot264 ? It is very easy to use.

Handbrake uses FAAC which is not very good in terms of quality/size.
    RipBot264 uses Fraunhofer AAC encoder (Those guys invented MP3 if you didn't know So you don't have to worry about quality at all 64kbps for one channel is really enough. (128kbps for stereo and 320 kbps for 5.1)

Regarding video bit-rate. Take my advice. DO NOT USE 2-PASS mode unless you are aiming for specific size (CD / DVD)

USE CONSTANT QUALITY MODE instead !!! You will save time (only 1-pass!) and space. Encoder will automatically adjust bitrate according to video complexity and selected CRF value.

Good starting point is CRF@20

VERY IMPORTANT! LOWER VALUE means HIGHER QUALITY AND LARGER SIZE!
    Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 30th Apr 2012 at 05:09.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i tried ripbot already and its great my friend
    the only problem is i cant select multiple languages
    i always make DUAL LANGUAGE rips and in ripbot i cant select 2 audio files otherwise i'd use it.
    which profile should i use for good constant quality? progessive?
    and 128 kbs fhg-acc-lc for best audio quality or?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by inject0r View Post
    i tried ripbot already and its great my friend
    i always make DUAL LANGUAGE rips and in ripbot i cant select 2 audio files otherwise i'd use it.
    If that's your only problem then just use some other tools to demux audio tracks from the original and add the file you made.
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Apr 2012 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by inject0r View Post
    i tried ripbot already and its great my friend
    Before deleting finished jobs from you computer. Search your ripbot264 temp folder for the audio track you wish to add and use mkvmerge to add it to your file. This is how i handle it, and have had no issues thus far.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote