VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

maybe this is a uncommon question,
    but I'm very interested in the backgrounds of a platform like Youtube, Livestream, Ustream etc. concerning technics and funcionality.

The thread is about: What is necessary if I wanted to build a very simple video streaming platform on my own where people can login and simply create (live) streams so that others (or the person itself) can watch the stream? The stream should be stable without transmission errors.

I know some basics like the need of an encoder software (e.g. Wirecast) for the streamer and a CDN (Content Delivery Network) to deliver the streams to endpoints like computers, mobile devices etc.
    But where are the limits, where is something needed that I can't develop on my own as a programmer?
    Is a CDN essential or can my server send the stream directly to all clients? I think the problem is the amount of data that video streaming requires. But where exactly is the problem (let's say I have several Terabytes of webspace), is it more the upload, so getting the stream of the clients or is it more the delivery to all clients?
    The point is, I know that it's probably not possible, but I don't know where my system would fail without help from bigger solutions.

I would appreciate your input a lot!
    I'm not a super ambitious programmer and I know about alternatives like Youtube, but I'm really interested how it works.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by the.cult View Post
    What is necessary if I wanted to build a very simple video streaming platform on my own where people can login and simply create (live) streams so that others (or the person itself) can watch the stream?
    First and most important thing: Money!

Basic hardware setup would be roughly $8000 - $10,000 and then you have your monthly recurring fees from your ISP.

If you try to do it on a shoestring your customers will drop you within a month and never come back.

Quote Quote  
  3. First of all, thanks for your reply.
    Okay, but what exactly would I need the money for? Let's say the user of the platform uses a common encoder software to send the livestream to my backend over a common streaming protocol like RTMP, RTSP or RTP and my backend would be able to read the stream. Is this already one part of the live streaming chain that would make problems regarding latency and stability? How would you (or Youtube etc.) do this, is it hardware or software that would handle the incoming stream? And is this (the receiving) already the part where expensive components are needed or is it rather the delivery to all other clients who want to watch the stream?
    Quote Quote  
  4. maybe you can try Flash Video Server, or use Windows Media Server, they are good to use

Here sth you need to know.
    1. Video Server: which can allow your users to upload videos, and you can mange the video data and users.
    2. Stream video to Video Server: you need a software to stream the live video from user to the video server

As the Flash Video Server use RTMP, Windows Media Server use mms, the live video always has latency problem, but it does not influence the stability.
    VLC Player can stream rtsp, and I know a program Goe Video Mx Pro that could capture video from webcam and stream wmv video to Windows Media Server.

Hope this will help you.
    Quote Quote