VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Since this is my first post, let me just say, I'm very angry at all the posters here for having such a great wealth of knowledge. I was perfectly happy with my crappy captures to my sandisk v-mate I made from my home 8mm and hi8 recordings, until I stumbled accross here and digitalfaq.com (I feel like I know you already LordSmurf) and now I realize what I was made was crap.

So I've been reading for a few months, but before I receive the equipment I ordered (mentioned in subject) I was wondering if someone could tell me the following.

In my workflow, all items have s-video except for the DPS-220, is it worth it to convert from S-Video to composite into the 220, then again on the other side?

I only ask before I get my gear as those adapters are expensive local, and cheap on monoprice. I hope I'm not posting a double question, and promise to update with pics of each workflow if more than one is suggested. (Though probably not for a month or so)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The TRV-330 is a Digital8 camcorder. You will get better performance using the IEEE-1394 (aka iLink, Firewire) port to WinDV.

The analog out on most Sony D8 camcorders are marginal and levels are off (black and gain).

The Digital8 decks that I have tried cap analog to correct black levels. Also Video8 and Hi8 playback is at correct levels (if the TRV-330 supports analog tape playback). Expect hot whites from Sony consumer camcorders (digital levels 16-255).
    Last edited by edDV; 27th Feb 2012 at 17:53.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick response, Your postings have always helped to give the grain of salt needed to read others

I had thought that DV was a bad codec for use in archiving analog media?

Also, the DPS-220 has a proc amp which allows for setup to correct the black levels (at least I think so if I've read correctly) to adjust the IRE to NTSC specifications. <~~ might be out of my element with that statement.

My goal was to capture in lossless yuv2 (which i'm not 100% sure my ati 600 will allow) I have a ton of storage, (6TB on my SAN) I want to compress later, but only after researching the proper ways to compress... i've only scratched the surface on those threads..

Is there a better playback device? I don't mind spending money if there's a better way, I had thought that the sony does line tbc, which fixes horizontal sync issues, as opposed to the dps 220 which is full frame and will help with vertical sync issues.

I went with the digital8 deck as opposed to a es10/15/20 for line tbc because I thought the closer to the analog source it was the better. I went with the dps-220 because I won the auction, though I wasn't expecting to (it cost me 50 bucks shipped). I was going to go for an avt-8710, but maybe I'm just drinking the kool-aid a bit too much on that advice as the only negatives I've seen on the older DPS models are their size.
    Last edited by Frank_aspen; 27th Feb 2012 at 18:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The DCR-TRV330 has a built in TBC and DNR circuit for analog Hi-8 tape playback. As others have said, just use the firewire. I have a DCR-TRV840 here, and the firewire output from analog playback is rock solid in terms of sync. Sony did a good job with these cameras in terms of firewire conversion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    The DCR-TRV330 has a built in TBC and DNR circuit for analog Hi-8 tape playback. As others have said, just use the firewire. I have a DCR-TRV840 here, and the firewire output from analog playback is rock solid in terms of sync. Sony did a good job with these cameras in terms of firewire conversion.
    I have a DCR-TRV350K, occasionally used to capture 8/Hi8/D8, and yes, it's a fine piece of equipment. I suppose it's near the apex of the 8/Hi8/D8 category because features slowly got removed over the next models (8/Hi8 playability, etc) until the format died a kvetchy death. Same with DV: earlier consumer and prosumer models had more and better features than later ones. It appears this trajectory didn't stop with DV: a friend regretted he didn't buy an HDR-CX550V (which had superior OIS, among other things) when it was normally available because its successor in the form of the CX560 (or even CX700) are worse in nearly all respects. It seems Sony follows a bizzare pattern here when introducing new models, no?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so I have to admit I'm a little lost. I've been reading here for a while, and I had thought my workflow was the general consensus for the best quality. I worked on the following assumptions and reasoning for the equipment I purchase.

1. You have to start with a GOOD source player preferably with TBC
    -- From here I determined the TRV-330 was the best analog 8mm player due to it's built in TBC, at least the best one that isn't > $900 like the walkman or professional digital8 decks

2. The Line TBC that's included in that Sony Deck, as well as DVD burners / passthrough devices / canopus advc is not a replacement for a full frame tbc / frame synchronizer
    -- From here I decided on the DPS-220, it's a full frame tbc and frame sync devices

3. You should use a PROC amp to adjust for proper black levels / saturation / so on
    -- This added to my reasoning for purchasing a DPS-220 as these controls are included

4. You should capture in a lossless codec in YUV2 color
    -- I read alot and it appeared that the ATI 600 was a very inexpensive card that allowed for this. On top of that, since it's used commonly there are guides for capture window, configuration, drivers, and so on and so forth. I had highly debated with myself to go the canopus route, but thought the ATI 600 would (even though a much bigger pain) give better results.

So... I'm wondering if I maybe i'm looking at the law of diminishing return. Is the REAL general consensus that converting through a DV camcorder is 99% of going the other route? or is it that it's actually better than going the other route?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try the DV capture directly from your camcorder and capture using your other equipment with the TV Wonder 600 PCI-e and see what you like best.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    eDV -- I re-read your post, and it makes more sense, thanks again for the reply. Just curiosity, would y/c separation make a difference in that case? or is it better to not convert > convert > convert?

usually_quiet -- yup, I'll give both methods a shot for sure since I'll already have the stuff, interested to see how it all pans out. I refuse to feel bad if I wasted some cash as I figure I can use it for VHS caps later down the road for others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frank_aspen View Post
    eDV -- I re-read your post, and it makes more sense, thanks again for the reply. Just curiosity, would y/c separation make a difference in that case? or is it better to not convert > convert > convert?

usually_quiet -- yup, I'll give both methods a shot for sure since I'll already have the stuff, interested to see how it all pans out. I refuse to feel bad if I wasted some cash as I figure I can use it for VHS caps later down the road for others.
    The recommended connection is TRV-330 > IEEE1394 > computer (WinDV capture software).

The result will be an exact digital copy of the data on tape. Black level will be correct when playing Video8*, Hi8* or Digital8 tape formats. In all cases expect whites to be hot (16-255) because that is what Sony consumer cameras do so you may need adjust white level down to 235 in your editor.

If you want to capture VHS, you have two options.

VHS player > composite video > DPS-220 > composite video > TV Wonder 600. (Use ATI software)

VHS player > composite video > DPS-220 > composite video > TRV-330** (result will be DV format)

* if the TRV-330 has analog tape playback capability.

** if the TRV-330 has analog input capability.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote