VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I use MPCHC to playback everything and recently I stumble upon a few .mov files that have no sound. Those files playback fine in WMP and VLC.

There are some .mov files I could play in MPCHC and some that has no sound. The .mov files I could play are decoded using CoreAVC and CoreAAC with Haali Splitter.

The files with no sound I looked up what audio codec is it uses (MediaInfo & VLC) and see if I could enable a suitable filter in ffdshow, the three audio codecs I found that has no sound in the .mov container are PCM S16 BE (twos), MPEG Audio Layer 1/2/3 (mpga) and AAC.

I found the mp3 and AAC entry weird because I have other .mov files that use AAC and mp3 codecs and they playback fine in MPCHC.

I then tried opening ffdshow audio decoder and enabling QT PCM, didn't work.

What's preventing the audio from being loaded in MPCHC?

Someone recommended me to use QT Lite, Quicktime Alternative or QuickTime DirectShow Filter (there is one by medialooks and RiverPast, don't know which one to choose)
    The further away I get from the things that I care about...
    the less I care about how much further away I get...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think this might be an issue with your splitter. Haali is meant to split *.mp4s, which are similar to *.movs, but not identical. I have had the same issue, myself. However, the internal *.mp4 splitter inside MPCHC should be able to handle *.mov files without problems. Or, the LAV Splitter (part of LAV Filters) could also be used instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks TSJNachos for the quick reply on a Friday night.

You're right about the splitter issue. I have all Source Filters and Transform Filters unchecked except for MPEG-2 Video which I use for some MPEG-TS files, I find the internal MPEG-2 more responsive.

Once I checked MP4/MOV the internal filter would properly route the audio to the proper filter.

It seems Haali isn't very popular anymore these days. Is LAV Splitter the new king of the hill?

I'm reading that the internal filter in MPCHC, depending on which version MPCHC is used, is actually the Gabest splitter/LAV splitter. Is that true?
    The further away I get from the things that I care about...
    the less I care about how much further away I get...
    Quote Quote