VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 250 GB portable hard drive which stores all my movies. I would like to henceforth attach this to my PS3 or Blue Ray player (Pioneer) and play and view movies from there. These devices only read FAT 32 format. If I create eight 30 GB FAT32 partitions will they read on my PS3 and Blue ray player and play my movies (that are all below the 4 GB limit).

Is there ANY software that can convert more than 30 GB space tp FAT32 ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The SwissKnife program can do the formatting and I think it can create partitions under FAT32 larger than 30 GB, but as I haven't used FAT32 on a disk drive in more than a decade I don't have this program and I cannot say with 100% certainty that it can do this. But I think it can.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a limit on fat32 partition size of 127gb/8tb .. the 32gb limit is the max that windows format will allow, to encourage adoption and use of the new technology filing system. Swissknife will work and possibly other linux based disk tools, maybe even tools from other vendors. A NAS might suit you better and be a more viable long term storage. Synology,qnap,netgear,DNS
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why not just use PS3 Media Server, if you download alot & the pc is on all the time its ideal.Its free, stream any movie format direct over the network wireless or hard wired,
    in currently have 8tb in total of blu-ray MKV's,DIVX, XVID & more tv/cartoon.no stutter .
    i have 2 PS3's both use it at the same tim, my pc doesnt slow down eather, or at least i dont notice.

6 core 8gb ddr3
    win 7 home prem 64bit
    blu-ray rw & dvd-rw
    gtx 460 1024
    2 x 22 inch lcd
    i have another 2 external 500gb drives attached most of the time too
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far As I Know the playstation 3 only reads the first partition found on a external harddisk. All other partitions are ignored.

You can use this utility to format a fat32 partition larger than 30 gb: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks all of you
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok guys i need help bad! i would appreciate it. i have done everything you guys have talked about. my EH is 500gb. i used easeuse partioin master home edition. 248gb is formatted as fat32 and the rest is unallocated. its is active, primary and under one partition but my ps3 will not recognize it. it says there is no free space. help PLEASE!!!???
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does your external disk enclosure have its own power? If not, get one that does. Many unusual problems are actually caused because the USB port does not have enough power to drive large external disk drives. This is such an issue that the only external enclosures I have all have their own power supply because I don't want to have to deal with lack of power being a possible problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just something that I remember from years ago when I also started to use external fat32 disks to play movies on my PS3 and my 5990 Philips DVD player. Everything played on the Philips. Almost nothing played right on the PS3. With DVDs in the Video_TS format usually the first vob played fine each succeeding one in the folder was hit or miss re: audio.

It might be worth the effort the just make sure that the PS3 will indeed play the movies you want it to.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As cal_tony hints at, the PS3 and Xbox are both really poor choices for media players, but those who insist on using them rarely are interested in facing the truth of that. Media streamers like a Western Digital or similar model are superior in every way, but you still need to worry about the powered enclosure issue I talked about earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows will format large HDD under win vista & 7 if you do it at the command prompt using the below line. type cmd on start menu, then cd/

h: is your external HDD
    /q is quick format switch

format h: /FS:FAT32 /q

max partition for ps3 is 2Tb.

To make partitions under vista-7; left click on computer and select "manage". Then click "disk management". Remove all volumes from external HDD. Create new volume on external HDD. Set to 2Tb, but do not format. Go to cmd prompt like above and format.
    Last edited by gentledragon73; 7th Nov 2013 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Great. Another one post wonder newbie who joins us to grave rob an old thread he found via an internet search because he actually believes everybody here has been waiting for years for his personal response to the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not an answer to the original. Its for new searchers looking to get an updated answer to an old question. The question still rates high according to the seo, which means their are still many hits on the post, no mater if anyone replies. So go ahead and post a reply to this; I've just redirected this site to the auto spam delete.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Late addition to this: my son's ps3 had no trouble reading (and backing up to/restoring from) an external hdd that had its fat32 partition as the 2nd on the disk. IIRC, was partitioned w/ Easus(?)

Scott
    Quote Quote