VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'd like to translate a video to another language (no subtitles: real spoken that's played above original track)

So far I thought of extracting the audio track, opening it with an audio tool, selecting eg 10 seconds of original track and then recording my text over this segment but that'd be quite difficult for a 2hour-video.

Now I'm looking for a tool, that shows the video, the original sound track and my recorded one in one single window. It would be much easier for me to separate the segments and adapt my recording to the video, that could be played simultaneously while i'm recording.
    My aim is not to produce an exact lipsynced track like dubbing actors do in their dubbing booths but at least timesync the spoken to my translated phrased like in documentaries or interviews.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start off by getting a transcription of the dialog and maybe you can get that from a subtitle file. Then methodically go through each timecode and record your voice. When you are happy it is then a matter of laying the original video and audio track and your track in an editor and check for timing and voice flow, voice flow is important like not finishing a phrase on an upward inflection etc. It shouldn't sound like a series of packets of words. Get hold of a SRT subtitle that shows timings like this. Then remux the video with your new audio

00:00:31,946 --> 00:00:32,834
    Hey.

00:00:33,937 --> 00:00:36,886
    Can I, uh,
    talk to you?

00:00:42,680 --> 00:00:43,846
    Come on, let's go outside.

00:00:43,881 --> 00:00:45,014
    Yeah.

00:00:48,085 --> 00:00:49,886
    Look, I know there's
    a slightly creepy

00:00:49,920 --> 00:00:52,088
    stalker aspect to me
    showing up at your job...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by moldevort View Post
    Now I'm looking for a tool, that shows the video, the original sound track and my recorded one in one single window. It would be much easier for me to separate the segments and adapt my recording to the video, that could be played simultaneously while i'm recording.
    The gold standard for what you're looking for is Pro Tools. I believe Reaper also locks video and allows for punch-ins. Another method is to record your new audio seperately then clip, slip and slide it into position in any basic NLE such as Vegas Movie Studio.
    Quote Quote