VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reply. I did not realize the HD audio track was that big! It all makes sense now.

The opening paragraph of your introduction (in your guide) does say you can back-up HD Audio to a DVD, might need some revision there for those like me who do not know any better!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Milotis, I follow your guide and have been able to back-up my blu-rays perfectly with my notebook that's running windows vista. I don't necessarily understand why I have to do certain steps, or what the tools actually do.. I just follow and it works.

However, I want to move away from my notebook and do the work on my desktop which is running XP. It is not working, and I figure now is the time to actually learn and ask some questions. The step that I cannot get by is the mounting step with daemon tools. When I select my image, anydvd starts scanning, everything is fine. Daemon tools tray shows that the image is mounted. However, in BD Rebuilder... It keeps saying that the source is not BD format. I am 100% selecting the proper drive letter. One thing I do notice is that in Vista, the drive letter would also show the title of the movie when selecting source in BD Rebuilder or when manually clicking on MY COMPUTER and viewing all your drives, in XP, it is not showing the movie title in BD Rebuilder nor when you manually view all your drives in my computer, but your guide says it's okay as long as we select the proper drive.

I cannot pass this phase in XP, which brings this question to mind. Why do we need to mount it to Daemon tools in the first place? In BD Rebuilder, couldn't I just select the location of where the actual ripped image is? Why do we need to put it on the virtual drive and then select it from there?

Well, I would appreciate any advice on how to get Windows XP professional working with Daemon Tools, and a little education as well regarding my why question.

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When using AVCHD patcher 1.06 I keep getting incorrect file format error. I have heard maybe v1.04 would fix this but I cant seem to find it anywhere. Can someone plese post a link.

thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  4. To siratfus: Try using another virtual drive, SlySoft for instance has one free of charge, forget the exact name. IIRC, some folks have had trouble using DaemonTools virtual drive (no idea precisely why) and oftentimes they have used a different one with success.

One other thing you might try if the above doesn't work is to re-install ffdshow and Haali media splitter.

As an aside, and in regard to +R/-R: I presume it depends on your player. I have a Sony BDP-S360, and use DVD+Rs, simply because I had a lot of them when I started doing BD backups and HDTV captures to AVCHD. They work just fine on that particular player. [shrugs]
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey fritzi93, in the forum below
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic371528.html

you had posted a note saying "Sure, use BDRB (BD_Rebuilder).

First you have to decrypt/rip the disc to your hard drive. At the moment, AnyDVDHD is pretty much the only option, and it's not free. But the 21-day trial *IS* free, and not crippled in any way, apart from not keeping settings and the nag screens. So you can try before you buy.

Here's a nice simple guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368581.html

Although it's specifically aimed at re-encoding to fit a BD-5 (or rather AVCHD on DVD-5), just change the option in BDRB to BD-25 and leave off patching the index.

Make certain you install the latest versions of: Avisynth, ffdshow, and Haali Splitter.

Good luck and post back how you're doing. And welcome to the forum"

Now my question is when you say "just change the option to BD-25 and leave off patching the index" are you saying I dont need to use AVCHD-patcher when I am doing BD-25????

Also, for some movies, I have noticed that that are extra folders besides BDMV and CERTIFICATE, should I burn all those folders or just stick with 2(BDMV and CERTIFICATE).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after br rebuilder saves my movie how do I get imgburn to burn it as the automatic did not activate?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by milOtis
    Originally Posted by cwf
    Great Guide...Thanks! Working on my first BD to DVD backup now and wondered why the insistance to use DVD-R and not DVD+R media? I've always used +R for regular DVD backups and was just curious why this is not recommended in the guide?

Thanks Again!
    DVD-Rs are more compatible than DVD+Rs.
    Bitsetting helps.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a quick guide on how to burn using imgburn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9512
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rccland

Now my question is when you say "just change the option to BD-25 and leave off patching the index" are you saying I dont need to use AVCHD-patcher when I am doing BD-25????

Also, for some movies, I have noticed that that are extra folders besides BDMV and CERTIFICATE, should I burn all those folders or just stick with 2(BDMV and CERTIFICATE).
    Well, since you're not doing an AVCHD, my presumption would be you don't need to use AVCHDpatcher. No, I'm not being a wise guy, if someone can tell me any reason to do so, I'd be interested to know. We're still in the early stages of doing BD backups, and already people are finding rather strange combinations are necessary to get their backups to play on particular players. Like *NOT* including the CERTIFICATE folder, for example. I think that applies to some Samsung players. Doom9 has several threads on suchlike.

As to which folders to burn, AFAIK, only the BDMV is essential, and I've done a good number both ways and my player (Sony BDP-S360) doesn't care one bit. But this whole business is still rather arcane. Which makes it interesting.

Good luck.

[EDIT] Correction: Delete the AUXDATA folder (not the CERTIFICATE folder) for several Samsung players. Also, you must *NOT* use DVD-ROM booktype for Samsung standalones.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re HD audio.Open BDrebuilder and click on settings at the top ,in the box that pops up there is a setting to keep HD audio for BD-25 just select it.I wouldn't try it for BD-5 as the audio file would be quite large and that would compromise the video quality.
    As for the method used to convert I use a very similar process but as I only ever use movie only mode what I do is use a program called BDinfo to see which is the playlist for the main movie and then open that mpls file in tsmuxer then select the audio track I need and save as a Blu-ray folder on my hard drive.(tsmuxer rips the files direct off your blu-ray disc with anydvd hd running)This gives me a folder with only the bits I need, saving time ripping all the extras,menus etc which will only be deleted later anyway.Bdrebuilder can use this file as its' source just like it does with a mounted iso.I've had 100% success up to now using this method.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brad2157
    Great Guide! Although what I am trying to do is not listed in your guide. I would like to back up each of my original Blu-Ray disc, each to fit onto a single layer BD-R 25GB disc. Most of the movies I have bought are over 25GB, so I am needing to "shrink" them down. I have tried to follow your guide, but I am not clear on exactly how to accomplish what I am trying to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

MilOtis - AWESOME guide! Thanks, clicks the links (don't spend it all in one place)
    Two days ago I bought DVDFab and now it looks like I needs to spend another $65for anydvd. Qestion is this. Will dvdfab rip the ISO? If it does, I haven't been able to figure it out. Thank you in adavance for your reply. Again KUDOS on the guide.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see people ready to spend on Anydvd, but honestly, I would advise to wait a little longer till backing up blu-rays becomes 2nd nature like dvds. Right now, there is just too many uncertainties. With dvds, you can experiment all you want and throw away .40 cent coasters, and not much of your time. With blu-rays, it is extremely frustrating to wait 2 days for your movie to shrink, burn onto a $3 25gb disc and get that sick feeling in your stomach when it doesn't play.

I've followed this milotis pdf exactly every time, including patching with 1.06 and it's been hit or miss. I've gotten a few good back-ups and I've gotten a few $3 coasters. I've done 4 and it has been 50% success. The 2 coasters for me are "Knowing" and the "Prestige."

Anybody else happen to have problems with these movies? Otherwise, I'm giving up! I'm going to let go my BH08 burner for $140 shipped. It's only been used for 4 sessions. PM me if interested. I'm going back to ripping main movie for TS play back.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by siratfus
    I've followed this milotis pdf exactly every time, including patching with 1.06 and it's been hit or miss. I've gotten a few good back-ups and I've gotten a few $3 coasters. I've done 4 and it has been 50% success. The 2 coasters for me are "Knowing" and the "Prestige."
    Have a look at this thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic373133.html

The OP has had similar problems, including the movie "Knowing". It's been suggested that instead of ripping to image and mounting with DaemonTools, that it be ripped to files instead. This was from a member who had no trouble with that disc. Waiting for confirmation from the OP at the moment.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="fritzi93"]
    Originally Posted by siratfus
    I've followed this milotis pdf exactly every time
    Siratfus,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have followed the pdf and haven't had any problems with 6 back ups until I came across Alien vs. Pred. BDR couldn't find audio files. Aside from that I'm very pleased. I'm suprised how clear the movie is on a dvd disk. I will save my bdr25g's for my favs that i want hd audio.

OK one other thought. I do get errors when patching but it still plays fine, at least on my ps3.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As the quality of a BD5 video is as good as the BD9 why can't a BD9 sacrifice some space to hold the HD audio track.
    This would mean excellent picture & awesome sound on a dual layer DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can Anyone Help Me... Im Confused.... I dont know what im doing wrong!

I did a few full disc back up with BDRB/anydvdHD without a problem.

now im stuck with 3 movie that make me spend a few coaster!

The Dark Knight (full disc mode) dont play at all
    What happen in vegas (full disc mode) it boot until the menu and after i press play i stay stuck at the fbi warning.
    Iron Man (full disc mode) it boot until the menu and after i press play i stay stuck at at the filmrating.

any help?

i think i should invest on BD-RE lol
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by milOtis
    When you shrink to a BD5 or BD9 (DVD sizes), then you MUST lose the HD version of the audio and let is downsample, or you will not be able to fit it on a DVD. The HD audio is like 3 or 4GB alone in size, which would fill up your whole DVD-R, so you cannot keep HD audio on a shrink down to BD5 or BD9, however you can keep it on a BD25, if you check the box in the options labeled "Keep HD Audio for BD25"

Thanks
    I've clicked the "Keep HD Audio for BD25" and it worked. Only problem is on the two blurays I have done this on, there is a slight audio / video synchronization (lip sync) problem in the BD25 created. Anyone else notice this?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, as you can see from my postings, I am totally new. I gave the guide a go, worked perfectly first time on my copy of Watchmen, however the audio is out of sync, is there any way I can fix this. Also, I was totally blown away the quality, on my 46" LCD, really couldnt tell the difference, and I went down to a BD5.

Cheers for the reply, oh, and the video is ahead of the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    milOtis

Thanks so much for all of your work trying to assist newbes like me in the rather obscure art of copying BDs. I am so impressed and inspired that I think I may have a go at this.

I note you have not posted in a few weeks now on this thread. I hope this does not imply that you are abandoning your fans out here. Please continue your efforts!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great guide - it worked fine on first try. The video on the copy (BD-25 disk) looks identical to the orig. blu-ray.
    If I keep the HD audio track (whick I know uses more disk space), instead of DD track, will it have much of a negative impact on the HD video quality?
    Also, does anyone know if Virtual Clone Drive will work in place of Daemon. Again thanks for great guide.
    W.J.Meyer, JVC 30K, Sam.T165, Pioneer 6010fd, Samsung c5500, Denon AVR-1910,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    milOtis,

The instructions you posted are awesome, except I had some small issues following instructions since the freewares you recommend to use were updated to a later version, but it didn't take much effort to figure it out.

My question is: After burning to my BD5, I noticed a huge delay on the audio playback. Is there any way to correct this problem?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have any recommendations of which blu-ray players work well with the BD5 discs? I would like to use MilOtis's method to back up to DVD due to the fact that I have a ton of DVDs and don't want to buy a Blu-ray burner just yet (and the relatively expensive discs). I was thinking of getting a PS3, but I don't know if it would play a BD5 DVD, If not, I would just get a standalone player. Are some better than others for BD5 support?

Thanks for any replies.

Mat
    Quote Quote  
  23. There are a couple of threads at Doom9 with lists of BD 5/9 compatible players. Unfortunately, their server is down at the moment. Here's one:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146339

Just going from memory here, but all (?) current Sony BD standalones will do AVCHD and BD 5/9 with menus.
    LGs AFAIK are all AVCHD compatible, but most supposedly will do movie only.
    Panasonics will do AVCHD as well, I forget if they do full disc (w/menus) or not.
    Samsungs seem to be hit and miss, depending on firmware.
    Oh yeah, PS3s will play AVCHD, and if memory serves, BD 5/9 with menus. But definitely movie only.

I now have *two* Sony BDP-S360s. Wal-Mart had a special today only from 5-11 a.m for $118 bucks. Couldn't resist that, so I got another one. :P I can say that player is definitely not fussy at all, and can recommend it.

Good luck.

[EDIT] AVCHD, to be pedantic, really means movie-only. BD 5/9 by definition means Blu-Ray structure on a DVDR.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by wjmeyer
    Great guide - it worked fine on first try. The video on the copy (BD-25 disk) looks identical to the orig. blu-ray.
    If I keep the HD audio track (whick I know uses more disk space), instead of DD track, will it have much of a negative impact on the HD video quality?
    Also, does anyone know if Virtual Clone Drive will work in place of Daemon. Again thanks for great guide.
    I have not abandoned my fans I promise. An update to this guide, as promised a while ago, will be done by Monday. It will deal with all issues so far posted here.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I answered my own question. I backed up Star Trek with the HD audio track on a BD-R disk and the video looks identical to the original, not bad for a 2-hr. movie.
    Does anyone know how to backup up a movie (only) that has both a theater and extended version on the disk?

New Problem: When backing up Night at the Museum 2, BD_Rebuilder gets a error "failure to extract audio tract" almost immediately after starting the program on the .iso file. ---------> Problem solved: needed updated 6.6.0.5 beta version of anydvdHD to rip disc without movie distortion error.
    W.J.Meyer, JVC 30K, Sam.T165, Pioneer 6010fd, Samsung c5500, Denon AVR-1910,
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, nice informative guide. I have a question for milOtis. I dont mean any offense to you. What is the advantage of using dameon tools? I wonder if I am missing something because I have made about 20 bluray to bd5 so far with bdrebuilder with no coasters by doing a similar but different way. I just use anydvd to rip the whole bluray file to hardisk and then open up bdrebuilder and mount the that file in it. Then I use the built in burn to disk option and never had a coaster this way. Is it faster to use dameon tools? Have you tried it this way? This way, it usually takes me about four hours per movie, not including 45min to rip to hardisk. So far I have been luck to not have any coasters. I dont use the avcd patcher either. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all thanks to both milOtis and Baldrick for the excelent guides. I've read most of the posts and have learned alot from all of you. Here is the result of my very first try on this Blu-Ray backup procedures and it worked for me the first time but I'm sure I'll be back to read some more. My first try was the King Kong (39 GB) title and here what I've used to create the BD-5 backup disc:

====================================
    Dell Precision 380 x86 PC with 4GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
    WDC 250, WDC 1TB - Hard drives
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    DirectX 11
    TSS Tcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q - DVD/CD Writer
    HL-DT-ST BD-RD GGW-H20L - LG BD Writer
    Sharp Aquos 32" 1080P TV - 1920 X 1080 X 60hz
    AnyDVD-HD - 6.6.0.3
    Elaborate Bytes VirtualCloneDrive
    AVCHD-Patcher version 1.04
    Avisynth_258
    ffdshow_rev3142_20091203_clsid
    MatroskaSplitter
    SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0
    BD-RBV03104 - BD ReBuilder v0.31.04
    PowerDVD version 8
    ====================================
    Took 40 minutes to create the ISO
    Took 24 hours (yes 24 hrs! , I have an old PC) to create the BD structure using BDRebuilder
    Took 15 minutes to create each BD-5 with ImgBurn (both DVD-R and DVD+R)
    No issues with audio, video and sub-title

I created the BD-5 with both DVD-R and DVD+R and they both working great . I don't have PS3 or Standalone BD player, the only thing that I have to play Blu-Ray is my LG H20L and it played both disks without any problems. Here is the kicker, these disks can also play the movie on my PC-DVD player (TSS Tcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q) using PowerDVD!!! and the video and audio is exactly the same quality as with the LG H20L. This is great but 24 hrs to make a backup to me it is not realistic but to know that this can be done is more than I can ask. I'm sure we'll get this down some day and having a better PC would help too (like 8-core PC that someone has...) I really enjoy reading these posts and do learn alot from you all and hope I can and will contribute some ideas soon. Thanks again and have a great day!

sepnotic
    Quote Quote  
  28. Compliments to MilOtis for creating such a great guide for newbies like myself.

I have read in post that it is not possible to include the HD audio when Backing up to a BD5 disk.
    I am trying to find the most cost effective way to Backup to a DVD but also including the HD audio.

My question is can a backup be made to a DVD9 = 8.5GB and include the HD audio and 1080P???

Before I go out and purchase the media just whant to find the most cost effective way to do this.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote