VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used a combo VCR/DVD, Toshiba D-VR620, to transfer some VHS and VHS-C tapes to DVD. With the few DVDs that have been created I've learned that title creation is very time consuming with the VCR/DVD and other editing capabilities are very limited. I have 20-30 more tapes to transfer, and I'd like a recommendation for editing software that is not very difficult to learn how to use. The features I'd like would be a better way to add titles, delete unwanted parts of clips, and to add fade ins/outs between clips. At this time I don't think I need a product that is very sophisticated. On the internet I've found editing software such as; Power Director, Adobe Premiere Elements, AVS Video Editor, and Corel & Roxio products. I think all of them have the capabilities I want, but it is difficult to determine which are the most reliable and easiest to use. Any suggestions?

After I've created a final copy of a DVD I want to be able to make copies for relatives. Would the editing software be able to burn copies or would it be better to get a separate product for burning? If a separate product is suggested, what is recommended?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first question, which will determine software rec, what mode did you use to transfer the tapes to dvd ?

VR-mode or Video-mode ? If you are not sure, look at the files on the dvd disk and tell us what the names of all the folders are (not the names of the files inside them)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The folder names are: VIDEO_TS, which I believe is Video-mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you do not have a 'video_rm' folder ? That is a good start.
    Firstly, you will need to extract the mpeg file from the disk. Use VOB2Mpeg for that.
    Corel Video Studio should do all you ask. It can also burn the dvd disk for you (the dvd authoring element will be quite basic)
    DVD Movie Factory will give you more sophisticated dvd authoring but more basic editing.
    I would not actually use either for the actual burning but rather create an ISO or HDD folders and use imgburn to burn the disk
    The advantage with Corel is that you can download free trials of these products and if they do not meet your criteria then you have only wasted time and no money.

Others may suggest different tools.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DB83, thanks for all of the information.
    I have some more basic questions. Is VOB2Mpeg used to convert the VOB files to Mpeg2 so Corel Video Studio or another editing product can use the Mpeg2 as input because a VOB cannot be used as input? Also, I've looked at some purchased DVDs, and they have VOB files. Is there any need to convert the edited Mpeg2 back to a VOB for the completed DVD prior to burning? Sorry for my newbie questions, but I haven't found many details about the process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by garyg45 View Post
    I have some more basic questions. Is VOB2Mpeg used to convert the VOB files to Mpeg2 so Corel Video Studio or another editing product can use the Mpeg2 as input because a VOB cannot be used as input? Also, I've looked at some purchased DVDs, and they have VOB files. Is there any need to convert the edited Mpeg2 back to a VOB for the completed DVD prior to burning? Sorry for my newbie questions, but I haven't found many details about the process.
    It's safest to convert VOB to MEPG as above before importing to an editor; especially when a video is split onto several VOB files.
    I recommend Womble's MPEG-VCR as a MPEG editor myself.

After you've edited the MPEG, then you "author". Some omnibus apps may do that as well as edit; I use GfD.
    "Authoring" combines the MPEG and menus, etc and creates the new VOB files, (in a VIDEO_TS directory) which finally you burn to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XX
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK beat me to the punch on this one. You will see that there exist seveal mpeg2 editors. You can check out the tools section on this site for all the options available to you.

No single program can do everything. Or atleast everything very well whatever their claims. The free stuff it often better than to commercial - paid for - product.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by garyg45 View Post
    There are some editors that can import VOB files directly, but you will loose nothing by using VOB2MPG. VOB2MPG just joins the VOBs and moves the video and audio into a different container.

If you just edited the VOBs, and exported them as VOBs, then put them back in their VIDEO_TS folder with the original menu and IFO files, the DVD won't play correctly because the VOBs are not exactly the same as they once were. If you want a DVD that will play correctly using most DVD players, you must to author the edited files. Authoring creates the folders and files (including VOBs) that allow a regular DVD player to play the DVD.
    Quote Quote