VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I get static across the screen on disk access.
    Anyone seen this before?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not seen anyone mention it for a while and as you haven't filled in your computer details I don't know if this might be your problem. There was an issue with HDD generated noise on nVidia based motherboards. The cure was to upgrade to the latest motherboard chipset drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Richard_G
    There was an issue with HDD generated noise on nVidia based motherboards.

It interferes with 2 of my TV tuner cards.
    They are different manufacturers using different chipsets.
    There is no interference to video card.

Oddly, this interference doesn't occur on my other PC, using the same cards.
    Both PCs use nVidia video cards, btw.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Richard_G was asking if you were experiencing interference on a computer with an nVidia based motherboard, not video card.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by KBeee
    Richard_G was asking if you were experiencing interference on a computer with an nVidia based motherboard, not video card.
    Nah, I'm scared of motherboard chipsets like that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen something similar on an older system with poor power supply overhead. Disk activity dipped the 12 VDC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mark987
    Originally Posted by KBeee
    So what do you have? Maybe you have found another similar issue with a different one. Because of this reported problem, I have always steered clear of nVidia chipset motherboards for my video machines, but have used them on others. I personally prefer VIA chipsets, but I know some people have issues with them.

If you don't give us the details of your system, we can't offer an explanation for the problem you have. All we can do is have the odd stab in the dark.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a small tv sitting next to my computer, and it does the same thing. its just electrical interference with the cable signal. the only thing you can do is run your cable as far away from your pc as possible, and invest in a good shielded cable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mark987
    Originally Posted by KBeee
    How odd. My nVidia based motherboard is a lot more stable than my old VIA based motherboard, which was always having to have a firmware update to fix some horrible problem. Maybe VIA has gotten better or perhaps you are using another type of motherboard (isn't Intel in that business too?). My nVidia is getting on 2.5 years old, but it sure has been more reliable than my old VIA motherboard.
    Quote Quote