VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I was going to do encodes as backup of one of my favourite TV shows but one of the discs seems to be damaged. I had a quick look through the main VOB's (VTS_01_1.VOB - VTS_01_4.VOB) and nothing seems to be damaged there.
    For the other discs I used DVDShrink Re-author mode to split the episodes into seperate VOB's and then encode them. What can I do to split the damaged disc into seperate episodes too and then encode them? (I would like to keep audio untouched without re-encoding it)

Files on other 4 discs:
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_0.VOB
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    Files on damaged disc:
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_0.VOB
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would be odd if both the menu ifo ( and backup) AND vts_01 ifo (and backup) were 'damaged'.

Can you actually play this disk in any player ? I guess not but pls confirm.

Without access to the ifos I can not see how you can split the disks by episode. You might be able to convert hard convert the vobs to mpeg, join them, and then split them. I have not tried this but maybe you can load the vobs in to avidemux, link them there and split/encode. But you will still need to rip the vobs to your hard-drive as a simple copy will probably fail.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Can you actually play this disk in any player ? I guess not but pls confirm.
    The disk no longer plays in my dvd player or my PC. When I put in my DVD-ROM the files that I listed above only show. It's only missing IFO's and the menu VOB so the main episodes/extras are fine.

Strange thing because I thought all the timecodes were stored in the IFO but when I opened the VOB's in DGindex the timestamp goes up to 20/21mins(length of episodes) and starts off from 00:00 again and does this 4times (4 episodes on this disc) but only outputs 1 .d2v with all 4 episodes in it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK dgindex will only output 1 .d2v - it is the result of whatever vobs you feed it.

Another thought. If you have that d2v, try loading it in to gordian knot as you may be able to encode from there.

What I do not understand tho is that the files may be damaged bit they should still appear in a folder listing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Another thought. If you have that d2v, try loading it in to gordian knot as you may be able to encode from there.
    I know that I can trim and encode them like that but that would mean re-encoding the audio. That's why I would like to split them into seperate VOB's before.

Is there any way to recreate the VIDEO_TS.IFO & VTS_01_0.IFO? Like if I copy them from another disc that has the same amount of episodes in it and just edit the timecodes with "IfoEdit" or another program. That way the audio wouldn't need to be re-encoded. Would this work?
    Last edited by Legiit; 9th Sep 2012 at 04:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO re-encoding the audio would be the least of your problems.

If the disks have a common menu structure I suppose that could work. But in my eyes it is like using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut
    Quote Quote  
  7. A little guess work.

Your using Windows with NTFS so a 4 GB won't be a problem. Use the CMD

copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_01_3.VOB+VTS_01_4.VO B c:\ALL.MPG

Use AviDemux (or the like)

Load ALL.MPG
    Mark in/out your spots, using the "<<" and ">>" to snap to keyframes
    video=>copy
    audio=>copy
    format=>MPEG Video

to cut out and save your 4 episodes as individual files from ALL.MPG.

Author a DVD with DVDStyler or AVStoDVD to make a DVD. Provided you target DVD size is the same as the source all of this can be done in "Copy" mode without the need to re-encode neither video nor audio (and fast)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    A little guess work.

Your using Windows with NTFS so a 4 GB won't be a problem. Use the CMD

copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_01_3.VOB+VTS_01_4.VO B c:\ALL.MPG

Use AviDemux (or the like)

Load ALL.MPG
    Mark in/out your spots, using the "<<" and ">>" to snap to keyframes
    video=>copy
    audio=>copy
    format=>MPEG Video

to cut out and save your 4 episodes as individual files from ALL.MPG.

Author a DVD with DVDStyler or AVStoDVD to make a DVD. Provided you target DVD size is the same as the source all of this can be done in "Copy" mode without the need to re-encode neither video nor audio (and fast)
    This worked great except for AviDemux, it is very innacurate. I have the frame numbers where I would like to split them, so what other programs can I try out?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Legiit View Post
    I have the frame numbers where I would like to split them, so what other programs can I try out?
    MPEG2Cut2 can load up all the VOBs at once so you can cut them into pieces. However, I believe it's only splits on GOP boundaries (which may be up to half a second apart), and not exactly on any frame. For that you'll need a commercial program, one such as VideoReDo. It has a trial period, so unless this is a continuing project that may be enough.

I know that I can trim and encode them like that but that would mean re-encoding the audio.
    Using either GKnot or AutoGK, it's very easy to pass the audio through unreencoded.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the frame numbers where I would like to split them, so what other programs can I try out?
    Another free option could be MPEGStreamClip or for a commercial option Solveigmm Video Splitter wich claims (I don't have much experience with it myself) to be frame accurate.

In case you use DVDStyler to author a DVD you may also add chapters to a "ALL.MPG" file eliminating the need for splitting it up either by typing the times for the chapter points or by using the visual chapter editor
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    In case you use DVDStyler to author a DVD you may also add chapters to a "ALL.MPG" file eliminating the need for splitting it up either by typing the times for the chapter points or by using the visual chapter editor
    This is exactly what I did so thanks for all your help.

First I ran that command : "copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_01_3.VOB+VTS_01_4.VO B c:\ALL.VOB"
    Then I dragged ALL.VOB into DVDStyler and manually entered 3 timecodes as chapters. Then I created an ISO and opened it with DVDShrink and split the episodes by chapters into seperate VOB's (very accurate). This way I even got the subtitles working too.
    Last edited by Legiit; 10th Sep 2012 at 19:48.
    Quote Quote