VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm on Win7 and i use the "turn off hdd" feature which is some kind of sleep for hhd's.
    All my hdd's have no problem with that except one it just disappear from the explorer, meaning i can't browse it even after a restart, only a cold start work.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is possibly because of a cable problem. Either the cable connecting this drive to the motherboard is defective or is not securely connected.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's unlikely it's a cable problem imo, it has more to do with windows, but what exactly..
    Is there a registry hack i can do to forbid this drive (this drive only) to "sleep" ?
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen "now you see me, now you don't" disk issues caused by cables. It's easy enough to check. I've also seen cable issues where a drive disappeared on a system that didn't sleep and then reboot magically made it appear again for a while. If the "fix Windows" approach doesn't work then you can either look into the cable or simply live with the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this annoying thing recently happend to me over the weekend and i wanted to post about it here but was too tired to get the words out and gave up. glad i am not alone in these things. for me, it was xp home, usb memory sticks. the first time i put the stick in, it saw the drive and assigned the usual "J" letter. then i took it out and said, "oh wait, this is the disk" and put it back in, but no drive letter would show, and the folder refreshed.

in my case, the issue occurs depending on how i put in and/or take out the memory stick. the wrong way even the slightest angle can missalign the pins somehow and this causes a short or cooruption in the chain of events and xp goes kookoo.

but i figure out how to force it to show, sort of.

go into computer management. the missing drive will show up there. but won't in explorer or any folder. then delete the drive, refresh, and reassign it back. vuala. what a pain. sure wish there was annother way to do this or stop it from happening all together. maybe there is a way to reassign drive letters through code and i just run that app anytime this happens. i or someone should research google for this and see if there is a way somehow. maybe a simple batch/script file is all we need for these special unique situations.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I should have mentioned that it doesn't appear in the disk management window either, in fact none of the 3 partitions appear. The first partition is a new install of Xp.I have thought of this assign letter trick but can't do nothing really.

I'm running since 3 hours with the" hdd turn off " feature off, the drive is still here. Maybe i'm missing a windows patch ? To continue...
    Quote Quote