VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys. I am new here. I have been trying to find an answer to a question I have been searching for and I cant seem to find the answer, ANYWHERE! I have tried on another forum to get an answer but since I was a new user to that site, I was unable to post a new topic.

I have a Sony Vaio I got back in 2012 for a graduation gift from high school. My Vaio says it has Blu ray capabilities. I have watched a Blu ray video on my computer before. My question is, is the Vaio able to burn movies to Blu ray disks? I am making a movie and I would rather see it on a Blu ray in HD than a DVD.

I am not trying to spend around 100+ dollars on a Blu ray writer. If I am unable to burn Blu-rays with a Vaio, then I will just go with traditional DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Your drive is one of three possibilities. It could be a Blu-ray rom drive, which has no burning capability whatsoever. It could be a combo drive, which can burn CD's or DVD's, but can only read Blu-ray. Or it could be a Blu-ray burner, which can burn to all three formats.

Install ImgBurn. This is a free burning program. Be careful not to install any "extras" the installer might offer.

Start up ImgBurn. Click on any of the options...Discovery will do. Then click on Tools-->Drive-->Capabilities. This will show you exactly what your drive can do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Your drive is one of three possibilities. It could be a Blu-ray rom drive, which has no burning capability whatsoever. It could be a combo drive, which can burn CD's or DVD's, but can only read Blu-ray. Or it could be a Blu-ray burner, which can burn to all three formats.

Install ImgBurn. This is a free burning program. Be careful not to install any "extras" the installer might offer.

Start up ImgBurn. Click on any of the options...Discovery will do. Then click on Tools-->Drive-->Capabilities. This will show you exactly what your drive can do.
    Thank you so much. I know it can burn music and movies to a DVD and CD. I dont know what computer doesnt do that already. haha. I havent tried to burn a Blu-ray before. Thats why I am trying to find out before I go and waste money on blank BD disks. I will try out this program and see what happens! I never install those extras. I hate them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Whats the model number of the laptop,might be easier to just Google it and see what burner comes with it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ant6622 View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

Thank you so much. I know it can burn music and movies to a DVD and CD. I dont know what computer doesnt do that already. haha. I havent tried to burn a Blu-ray before. Thats why I am trying to find out before I go and waste money on blank BD disks. I will try out this program and see what happens! I never install those extras. I hate them.
    I followed your instructions and I am unable to burn Blu-rays. Its said Blu rays are read only. Oh well. Looks like I will just have to use DVDs. Thank you again!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Whats the model number of the laptop,might be easier to just Google it and see what burner comes with it.
    I will look into that. My model number is VPCEG37FM
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I looked it up and its a blu-ray player only and dvd/cd burner.You can buy an external blu-ray burner from newegg for about a $100.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    @ant6622
    Doesn't hurt to have ImgBurn around anyway. It is one of the most capable burning programs ever made.

By the way, it is entirely possible to create a movie in HD and burn onto a blank DVD. Look up AVCHD format. You are limited in size of course, as a single layer DVD will only hold about 4.3gb and a double layer DVD will hold approximately 7.9gb. It won't play on a conventional DVD player, but many Blu-ray players support AVCHD.

Or you could make an HD mkv or mp4 file. Depends on what equipment you have and what it can play.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Its fine to burn mkv files or avchd to dvd but once you start burning 23.3 gb to blu-ray it`s like going back to using cds if you have to burn to dvd again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I looked it up and its a blu-ray player only and dvd/cd burner.You can buy an external blu-ray burner from newegg for about a $100.
    Thank you. I found the same information you did when I looked it up. It is only one movie I am making and it will be going online. I wanted a physical copy too for myself in case if anything happened to it. I just wanted to watch it in higher definition.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    @ant6622
    Doesn't hurt to have ImgBurn around anyway. It is one of the most capable burning programs ever made.

By the way, it is entirely possible to create a movie in HD and burn onto a blank DVD. Look up AVCHD format. You are limited in size of course, as a single layer DVD will only hold about 4.3gb and a double layer DVD will hold approximately 7.9gb. It won't play on a conventional DVD player, but many Blu-ray players support AVCHD.

Or you could make an HD mkv or mp4 file. Depends on what equipment you have and what it can play.
    I downloaded ImgBurn last night as an earlier suggestion and I looked at it and so far i think it is great and I didn't even use the tool yet. It told me everything I needed to know about my drive on what I can and cannot do with it. The only Blu-ray player I have is my Playstation 3. My dad has yet to go out an by one for the main tv we all use in the living room. I don't know what size my movie would be yet. I haven't started any recording of it. I only have the opening to it and an end slide show. I wont be concerned about size until I am well into making it and editing it. I will look up AVCHD to see what comes up. I know HD can be used on a blank DVD, I was thinking burning an HD movie to a blank Blu-ray disk would be even better and give a more crisp looking movie to watch. This would be my first real movie I would be making, that is why I was trying to find out if i could burn it to a Blu-ray disk.
    Quote Quote