VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ripped down my first Blu-Ray with the new DVDfab. I then loaded the 'stream' into Handbrake and compressed to an MKV file of about 7g. Then for the final, loaded MKVmerge to add back the subtitles, but can't find them anywhere in the folders with the Blu-Ray rip. I've looked in EVERY folder, what am I missing?

I even ripped the movie again to make sure I had the subtitles, and I'm sure they should be there, but I can't find anywhere!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The subtitles is inside the m2ts file/s. You must use something else to extract and ocr them to srt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, same as with DVD's, there is no separate subtitle file, you need to extract it and/or make it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The subtitles is inside the m2ts file/s. You must use something else to extract and ocr them to srt.
    What program do I need to extract them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly Blu rays do not contain SRT format subtitles, the format is similar to DVD's, however what you can do to extract the subs is load the ripped Blu Ray directly into MKVMerge. You will then see video, audio/s and subtitle/s tracks and probably chapters.

Next untick everything other than the subtitle track and demux.

The resulting file will be in MKS format.
    Then load the MKS file into subtitle edit (File->Menu->import subtitle from Matroska file) https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle-Edit
    and the OCR section will come up and away you go editing and replacing a few/lot of words or spelling.
    You can then save as a srt file.
    Probably the easiest way is to do a search "English subtitles <insert name of file>" and you might find one that matches...

After you have done all of this, then if you have to shrink the size of the file use Handbrake or whatever...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or use HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor (included in https://www.videohelp.com/download/eac3to324.zip ) to extract the subtitle streams from the bdmv/m2ts files and then convert/ocr to srt subtitle with subextractor.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Maybe here I can post my problem. I have a Bluray, I know it has 3 subtitles streams because I see them when I play de Bluray.
    But when I use "HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor", only shows audio and video streams.
    Where is the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open a m2ts with mediainfo and see if it finds any subtitle details. Or try tsmuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you load the video into handbrake you have to add the subs you want,if you didn't do that then there won't be any subs in the mkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again,
    I used tsmuxer and find the subtitle on file 00010.m2ts, but I can't make "HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor" recognize the file. Is there another way to extract the .sup?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote