VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. my dvd player won't boot or play discs after me failing to upgrade the firmware. does anyone know a way of rewriting the firmware to the chip when it won't boot. all i get is the blue philips screensaver. i've noticed that there's no rs232 connection to do it like on the old players.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You may have bricked the player. This is why firmware upgrades are VERY dangerous and should only be attempted if you have a compelling need for them. If it's under warranty you can try to get a new one. If not, you'll either have to pay for a repair or buy a new player. Honestly it's probably cheaper to just buy a new player. Learn from whatever you did wrong in the upgrade and don't do it again if you attempt this in the future. If you can't get the player to boot enough to try to redo the firmware upgrade, then it's either time for a repair or a new player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sacrificial1 View Post
    i've noticed that there's no rs232 connection to do it like on the old players.
    Can you take a good photo of the mainboard? I saw the mainboard of the BDP2600 and at first it appeared that there is no rs-232 on it but it's actually there, the connector is just not soldered to the board. If rs232 is there it should not be hard to unbrick the player (you will have to use an RS232<-->TTL converter, 3.3v. levels.).
    Last edited by marlboro_man; 1st Dec 2012 at 08:36.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Kind of a moot point there, marlboro_,man. His player won't boot at all, so getting RS232 working won't solve that issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Kind of a moot point there, marlboro_,man. His player won't boot at all, so getting RS232 working won't solve that issue.
    He said "all i get is the blue philips screensaver". The blue philips screensaver appear at the last stages of the boot process. This means that the bootloader is still operational and that's all he need to flash the player via an rs232 port.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sacrificial1 View Post
    my dvd player won't boot
    This is why I said he said his player won't boot. If you want to argue that his player has in fact booted and is fine even though he clearly stated he can't play discs, then I'm sure he'd welcome any help to get him going.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    If you want to argue that his player has in fact booted and is fine...
    Huh?...What? I said that the bootloader is obviously functional, otherwise he wouldn't see any blue philips screensavers.
    Even if player does not show ANY signs of life, it can still be unbricked, as long as the bootloader is intact and TTL communication port is present on the mainboard. But you wouldn't know anything about it, would you?
    Last edited by marlboro_man; 1st Dec 2012 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i have the .bin file to upgrade the player. how do i transfer it to the player via rs232. i mean what software do i use?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sacrificial1 View Post
    what software do i use?
    A serial terminal emulator.
    Last edited by marlboro_man; 4th Dec 2012 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  10. is it possible to connect through the lan connector. i don't see any rs232 connector on the board.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0095.JPG
Views:	1046
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	15003  

Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by sacrificial1 View Post
    is it possible to connect through the lan connector.
    No.
    i don't see any rs232 connector on the board.
    I don't see it either... Maybe under that sticker? It's supposed to be a 4-pin connector: pin1: +3.3v.; pin2: Rx; pin3: Tx; pin4: GND. Here's how it looks on a BDP2600 board:

Name:	BDP2600.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	15005  

Last edited by marlboro_man; 4th Dec 2012 at 13:29.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i've found a connector thats 4 pins, but i thought rs232 connectors were 9 pins. its bottom left corner.

Name:	DSCF0096.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	15007  

Quote Quote  
  13. how do i use the emulator to transfer the .bin file and which is the best one to use? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by sacrificial1 View Post
    but i thought rs232 connectors were 9 pins
    The mainboard is supposed to have TTL communication ports. It should be connected to a computer RS232 port through a TTL<-->RS232 converter like this one.
    i've found a connector thats 4 pins
    I don't think this is it. Those MT85xx mainboards have 2 TTL ports - "front end" and "back end". The one that is usually located near the optical drive connectors is the "front end" port. We need the "back end" port.
    how do i use the emulator to transfer the .bin file and which is the best one to use? thanks.
    Jump that bridge when you get there
    Quote Quote  
  15. i have a ttl lead that i used to unlock mobile phones. what do i have to type to transfer the .bin file to the blueray player?
    Quote Quote  
  16. i have a rs232 lead with an in line chip powered by a 9v battery that converts to ttl. how do i transfer the file to the blueray player?
    Quote Quote  
  17. i am using putty like you said. the lead is working but im not receiving anything on the screen from the blueray player. ive selected com session and the settings you said but what terminal type and id should i select? ive touched the rx wire with my finger and i'm receiving characters on the screen, so the lead is working ok.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1397
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	15013  

Quote Quote  
  18. Putty 0.62

Name:	putty2.JPG
Views:	1197
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	15024  

Click image for larger version

Name:	putty.JPG
Views:	1201
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	15025  

Last edited by marlboro_man; 5th Dec 2012 at 00:51.
    Quote Quote  
  19. i still can't get anything to come up in the console unless i touch the rx wire, then i get random text. i have connected rx wire to tx on board and tx wire to rx on board and gnd to gnd on board. no joy! are you sure that you can't connect to the lan connector?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by sacrificial1 View Post
    are you sure that you can't connect to the lan connector?
    I am sure.
    I see 2 possible reasons why it does not work:
    1) Wrong TTL port. Unfortunately, I don't have a service manual for this player, so there is no way to tell.
    2) Your self-powered converter use 5v. instead of required 3.3v. I successfully used a MAX232-based converter - I connect all 4 wires, so it is powered from the mainboard.
    Quote Quote