VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I've been following this tutorial: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217500-How-to-add-your-own-subtitle-to-DVD-%28keep-...u-multi-pgc%29 Except that I did not use Sub Tool or Subtitle Creator. I merely used Subtitle Workshop to convert my .srt subtitle file (which I'd backed up first) into .sst Sonic Scenerist subtitle which Muxman will accept. I did everything as directed in the tutorial up to checking the Muxman output in the Remuxed file: 1. Ripped original DVD with Decrypter 2 Demuxed with PGCDemux 3. Remuxed with Muxman But when I tried checking subtitles in MPC and PowerDVD none appeared to show. I was trying to play VOB Then I read this: "Don't count on getting any subs by playing a VOB (unless you want external subs). You'll need to play it as a DVD." So I burnt output to DVD RW but still no subs. Do I need a bitmap of the subs as well as .sst file loaded in Muxman?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A DVD has to have bitmapped subtitles.
    I wasn't aware that Muxman could make those.
    Subtitle Workshop only deals with text formats.

Personally I think it's a lot easier to demux the video from the DVD, and then reauthor using GfD. I can add SRT subs and GfD will generate the bitmaps. and make the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers Alan, Thought it was lack of bitmaps....... I read elsewhere that Muxman can accept .sst, didn't mention bitmaps though so a bit puzzled (I'm new to Muxman.) Used SRT2SUP I'm just trying this method: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/143070-How-to-backup-and-add-new-subtitles-to-a-DVD . Your method sounds easier though!
    Last edited by bahjan; 23rd Mar 2012 at 12:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I managed to create subs following method above, but subs appeared first in green, when I used 'Srt2Sup' global settings, then black with a blue background when I tried copying sub colours from another DVD which displayed white subs on tranparent background which is what I'm looking for. Was there another step I missed out when I opened IFO/VTS_PGC>ITI/VTS_PGC1 - subtitle colours 'copy' and then opened my generated video files and pasted them into the same file using ifoedt Yes I did save it before closing ifoedit. I see the developer of Srt2Sup did write a hex editor, but it seems no longer availiable, Therefore, can anyone guide me as to the ifoedt hex values for a. Transparent background b. white lettering and if possible - how to position subs lower on the screen. (If I can do this in ifoedit?) I used Srt2up settings for this, but they still seem too high in the picture.......
    Quote Quote  
  5. Fix the sub colors using either PGCEdit or DVDSubEdit. DVDSubEdit has a guide (actually a part of the included and very good manual). It can also easily adjust the positioning of the subs on the screen.

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/Guides/ChangingColors/Guide.htm

Muxman doesn't give green subs. Only IFOEdit does that. That guide you followed is old and obsolete. A much better way to create subs is to feed SSA subs into MaestroSBT for the creation of SST subs for later authoring with Muxman.

I read elsewhere that Muxman can accept .sst, didn't mention bitmaps
    It does accept SST files. An SST includes, besides the text file, all the associated BMPs, one for each line of dialog.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ' manono' DVDSubEdit sounds like the tool I need! I'll give MaestroSBT a go too....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bahjan View Post
    Hi. I managed to create subs following method above, but subs appeared first in green
    If you've got a working DVD with subs and the only problem is the colours, use DVDsubedit to change them in the VOB fileset.
    Very easy and fast.

You can also move subs up and down, singly or en masse.
    (Edit /Apply last modification to all.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Using this guide https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217500-How-to-add-your-own-subtitle-to-DVD-%28keep-...u-multi-pgc%29
    The subs created but first subtitle was the wrong colour and font compared to the rest - is there an easy way to repair this?

So I decided to run Baldrick's method 2 again but - Odd problem which I have read about elsewhere. Having copied, demuxed, remuxed, but this time when I got to checking Muxman output with PowerDVD, there were no subs. I didn't add back the menus using vobedit. I used an srt file converted to Sup with Srt2Sup, seemed to work with no errors.

Original DVD has no subs 1 video stream, 2 audio streams, format NTSC 16.9 WS Framerate 29.97

I have read that as the original video format is 16.3 WS, that I have to add two subpic streams in Muxman (one for LB and one for Wide) is that correct? Do you have to add 2 stream of the same file one of LS and the other for wide? If so that might be my problem· Is there a guide for WS format subbing somewhere?

What I did next
    1.. Checked Muxman log for errors - there were none.
    2. I opened it in PgcEdit and the subs were there. 0000 in subpic streams. It seems they are already 'switched on'?
    3. As suggested tried opening file with DVDSubEdit 'open full domain' - seems to load okay, but here an odd thing happens, below the view window no play bar appears so I can't play the video. Subpic colours are uniformly blue.

In version 0.16.8 of Muxman the screen is a little different to that shown in the guides: Pref NTSC 720x480 (as original) then a box where you can select picture format ie, none, 4.3,16,9 p/s & LB, 16.9 Only Panscan, and 16.9 only letterbox. I wasn't sure what to select so I kept it on 'none'.

I am going to try remuxing with two streams and LB only selected and see if I get any further. Result : Nope. Didn't seem to make any difference.... Have I missed something really obvious?

Later - I think I solved one issue at least - use a sup file created by Srt2Sup for use by ifoedit - that seems to mux with Muxman - previously I'd tried sup file created by SubtitleWorkshop - but that's not a bitmap right? So okay subs now play in PowerDVD but are all black instead of white on trans background and in the wrong place of the screen I'll try to fix with DVDSubEdit.

Played around with Srt2Sup till I fixed the text and got all the same (I think);

Import your srt file
    Tools Global Apply
    Set boxes thus
    Default Target: Use Default
    Word Wrap Don't change, ( if you word wrap any text formatting will be ignored.)
    Settings: Use Global
    Use Global: Use Global
    Apply to: All Subtitle Type: All

In subtitle Layout use Global.

Remember to apply any changes before saving sup for use by ifoedit in 'Sup File'

I'll Mux again and see what I get this time. I have white text black background in 'Srt2Sup' window at the moment.....

Later - Note: actually it produced black subs on a transparent backround. I'll get the settings for white text trans background eventually - (maybe if I get black text white background)..... in the meantime I'll use DVDSubEdit.
    Last edited by bahjan; 31st Mar 2012 at 05:43.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by bahjan View Post
    The link goes to something unrelated. Maybe you're using Baldrick's guide here?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

I have read that as the original video format is 16.3 WS, that I have to add two subpic streams in Muxman (one for LB and one for Wide) is that correct?
    Yes, that's correct. Didn't you notice a warning if you loaded them for only a single track? Anyway, if you didn't see any subs at all, I'm not sure that's the reason.

Do you have to add 2 stream of the same file one of LS and the other for wide? If so that might be my problem· Is there a guide for WS format subbing somewhere?
    I make 2 separate streams, one for LB and the other for Wide. But you can use the same one for both and that's how the majority of the retail DVDs have it - the same stream for both.

2. I opened it in PgcEdit and the subs were there. 0000 in subpic streams. It seems they are already 'switched on'?
    Yes, they would be. It's only after replacing the original subless one with the Muxman generated one that they'll have to be made available in the IFOs.

previously I'd tried sup file created by SubtitleWorkshop - but that's not a bitmap right?
    I believe Subtitle Workshop creates the text SUP files. SubtitleCreator can create image-based (BMP) SUP files from SRT. Me, I use MaestroSBT to create SST files for use in Muxman, from SSA subs originally.

The subs colors from Muxman or in a DVD which didn't have any subs originally won't be the colors you want. You 'fix' them using either DVDSubEdit or PGCEdit when you're all done. I've never used SRT2SUP so I can't help there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I also tried this method: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217500-How-to-add-your-own-subtitle-to-DVD-%28keep-...u-multi-pgc%29

I didn't use SubTool or Subtitle Creator though...

Yes, I did notice the warning and added both to the one stream so that warning went away.

As I said, I have found using 'sup file for ifoedit' created by 'Srt2Sup' in Save Sup' (it converts srt to sub files) is accepted by Muxman. It also repositions subtitles. I haven't got my head around 'Srt2Sup' colour settings yet. I think DVDSubEdit maybe better for adjusting colours and fine tuning anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't count on getting any subs by playing a VOB (unless you want external subs)
    No ... it means somethings a miss ... vlc will show the subtitle from vob directly when subtitle option is enabled after loading.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Funny you should mention that. I don't ordinarily use VLC, but after upgrading my MPC-HC recently I've also begun seeing subs when just playing VOBs. Thank you for the correction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I managed to create a DVD with no menus that has selectable subtitles on the main movie - now I'd like some help to mux these movie vobs 5 files + subs back into the original DVD structure, as I'd like to keep menus and original extras, with my new subbed version.
    Original has following Vob files with their corresponding ifo bup:

VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_02_1
    VTS_03_1 - I think these 4 are menu files
    VTS_04_1
    VTS_04_2
    VTS_04_3
    VTS_04_4
    VTS_04_5 these are the 5 main movie files I have now subbed onto a DVD which plays okay without menu
    VTS_05_1
    VTS_06_1 2 bonus tracks

The only difference is the VTS_04_5 in my subbed version is smaller(8,284.160) than the original 5,103.616 (not sure I know why) and on the subbed DVD the VOB files are VTS_01_1 to VTS-_01_5 not VTS_04_1 as in the original.

Tried using Pcgedit, but my DVD is NTSC 16:3 Letterbox.

Can I just create a new set of ifo/bup files and then replace with sub version ones - not sure about that because of increase in vob number.
    If anyone and point me in the right direction.... thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Open the original DVD in VobBlanker and then use the 'Replace' button to replace the original subless one with the newly subbed one. Then 'turn on' the subs in PGCEdit adterwards. It's all explained in the latter part of Baldrick's guide here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

Begin reading at '(Optional) Add back the original menus'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Trying to switch on subs as here using ifoedit https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217500-How-to-add-your-own-subtitle-to-DVD-%28keep-...u-multi-pgc%29

But can't see VMG_VTS_ATRT in the top window structure of my new version 'remuxed' files.

The original dvd didn't have subs.

In the root VTS_01_0.IFO shows subpicture as present.

I can complete the rest of the guide, but the subs aren't showing up when I try to play them back. The subs are obviously still not being seen - I assuming it is due to lack of VMG_VTS_ATRT ?
    Last edited by bahjan; 18th Apr 2012 at 07:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I already pointed you to a much easier way. Why are you messing around with IFOEdit from a now obsolete guide? Here's the link more directly:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD?...=1#post1685800

This assumes you loaded the subs properly when muxing using Muxman. If it's a 16:9 video, did you make sure to load the subs twice, once for LB and the other for Wide, so the red error message disappeared? When you play the Muxman authored DVD, do you see subs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Thanks for your reply. Here's what I did.

1. Created DVD witth subs with Muxman. Yes, I did load subs twice in Muxman so that there were no red warning messages. ie (in Muxman, Track 1: W20 LB21) Yes, my new Muxman authored DVD showing the subs with the colours I had set in DVDSubEdit. Then I copied this DVD to a file called 'SubbedDVD' onto my h/d with Decrypter I did the same with my original DVD (the one with no subs) into a folder called 'Original'. Using these files on a h/d:

2. Replaced new Ifo's with Vobblanker. Setting output to a new file called 'NewDVD'

3. Then followed your instructions for use of PgcEdit to switch on the subs. For NTSC 16.3 Letterboxed DVD 1 track, as you explained subpicture streams should be left at 0. The subs seemed present, but not showing. Hence my last post.

So I opened files in ifoedit and discovered that for some reason pgcedit had not copied the sub values in VTSI_MAT so I copied and pasted maunally as shown in this thread. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217500-How-to-add-your-own-subtitle-to-DVD-%28keep-...u-multi-pgc%29

Then it occurred to me that the sub colours might have been changed too, so I reloaded full domain of my 'NewDVD' in DVDSubEdit and discovered the subtitle colours had changed from those I had set originally. I changed them back again.

After these checks/changes the files in the 'NewDVD' replaced the unsubbed files with the subbed ones, and showed when playing with PowerDVD.

4. Built and burned a new DVD with ImgBurn.
    Last edited by bahjan; 19th Apr 2012 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  18. OK, it seems you did it right. Just to confirm, when doing the replacing, you first opened the original subless DVD and replaced the movie with your new subbed one, right?

And at that point you have the DVD the way you wanted it (except for the colors which are easily fixed), except that the subs don't show up when played? If so, how are you playing the DVD? On the computer with a software DVD program, and not by just clicking on a VOB? You burned it to disc and are playing it on the TV set? If the latter, did you use your remote control to turn on the subs? Often, unless you edit the IFO to force the subs to be used automatically (create a SetSTN command in PGCEdit), you'll also have to turn them on when playing the DVD.

But I still don't understand:
    After these checks/changes the files in the 'NewDVD' replaced the unsubbed files with the subbed ones, and showed when playing with PowerDVD.
    Are you saying they show up when using PowerDVD but not when watching on the TV set? If so, have you tried using the subtitle button on the remote control to turn them on? If that doesn't do it, I'm not sure of the problem as I've never had any trouble at all. But I use MaestroSBT to create subs for muxing using Muxman. I don't know exactly how you created your subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    OK, it seems you did it right. Just to confirm, when doing the replacing, you first opened the original subless DVD and replaced the movie with your new subbed one, right?

Yes, that's right. I ripped both versions (original and subbed) to separate files on a hard drive with decrypter. Then I opened the original DVD files first in Vobblanker and and replaced main movie files with my new subbed ones. Then I continued with PcgEdit. When the files were created by PcgEdit, placed all of them in a VIDEO_TS subfile and tested them with PowerDVD on my computer playing files from the hard drive.

And at that point you have the DVD the way you wanted it (except for the colors which are easily fixed), except that the subs don't show up when played? If so, how are you playing the DVD? On the computer with a software DVD program, and not by just clicking on a VOB? You burned it to disc and are playing it on the TV set? If the latter, did you use your remote control to turn on the subs? Often, unless you edit the IFO to force the subs to be used automatically (create a SetSTN command in PGCEdit), you'll also have to turn them on when playing the DVD.

But I still don't understand:
    Are you saying they show up when using PowerDVD but not when watching on the TV set? If so, have you tried using the subtitle button on the remote control to turn them on? If that doesn't do it, I'm not sure of the problem as I've never had any trouble at all. But I use MaestroSBT to create subs for muxing using Muxman. I don't know exactly how you created your subs.
    In the first version I tried, (when the subs did not appear), playing files from the hard drive, I played the full VIDEO_TS file in PowerDVD). I tried to select subtitles in PowerDVD, [right click -Subtitles] but to my surprise found the 'subtitles' option greyed out and unavailable. However, after I'd adjusted the sub colours and manually and added the missing sub values VTSI_MAT - I found the subtitles were selectable in PowerDVD on a computer (again playing files from the hard drive). I burned these to a RW DVD with ImgBurn and they played on a computer and my standalone DVD Player, where the subs were selectable via the machine settings and the handset.

I created subs the long way around !

1. First I joined the main movie vobs from the original using VobEdit.
    2. Then a converted this to an avi using AnyVideoConveter. Used this avi in Jubler to create .srt text file.
    3. Created subs with Jubler I used Jubler mainly because it's light on computer resources (unlike SubtitleCreator) and has a waveform.
    I have had trouble using VirtualDubMod (don't know why), and as the Jubler files proved out of sync with the original vobs,
    4. Resync with SubtitleWorkshop
    I imported the srt file into SubtitleWorkshop, with the original joined vobs. Having made the adjustments, I saved the subtitles output as a subrip file.
    5. Convert srt subrip to sub with Srt2Sub
    6. Created subbed DVD files with no menus with MuxMan using files created by PcgDemux from the original DVD and my new subtitle .sup file.
    7. Adjusted subtitle colours with DVDSubEdit
    8. Built /burned DVD (no menus) with ImgBurn

I found Verdana Font size 20 white with grey outline looked fine on 4:3 and 16:3 widescreen TV and on computer screen.

I would like to know how best to force subtitles, have you any links or advice for that? I noted MuxMan has a selectable option 'force' would another rip with that selected force the subs to play? I'll give it a go and see what happens this time.
    Last edited by bahjan; 24th Apr 2012 at 12:59.
    Quote Quote  
  20. To make the subs always play, open the final DVD (the one with subs) in PGCEdit. Highlight the movie so you can see the commands on the right side of the screen. Right-click 'Precommands' and hit 'Add After'. That creates a NOP. Double-click on the NOP and in the new screen hit Alphabetically followed by SetSTN. Hit 'Subtitle Set To' and 'Audio Set To'. OK your way back to the main screen and you should see something like the picture below. Save your work and test. If it works, you'll see subs automatically when playing the movie, but you'll have to use the remote control to turn them off.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	subs.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	12049  

Quote Quote