VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I'm about to encode an FLV file from a 2hr long .mov. Has anyone had any difficulty with this? It's fairly urgent that I get this file encoded and cannot afford to make a mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use ffmpeg, so I cannot help you there, but many people use it successfully so there's nothing magical about it.

Do note the following.
    1) It's early evening in the USA right now. Some of our members who live in Europe and Asia are already into their weekend. There is less readership and somewhat less response over a weekend than this type of request might get on a week day. Some of our experienced members don't participate much on weekends.
    2) Your problem may be very real to you, but it's really not urgent at all to the rest of us. Sorry, but let's be honest here. If MY car breaks down, are YOU going to pay for me to get it fixed? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    3) Nobody here is getting paid to help you. See #2.
    4) In the future you might plan better than to paint yourself into a corner where you've got one chance to do something that you've never done before AND may need help with AND have a limited time to get it done.

Welcome to the forums. If you have issues post back and maybe you'll get some help, but again, it's a weekend now so there are no guarantees as to how fast you'll get a response.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your informed response!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As you posted this in the ffmpegX forum, maybe your question is for the Mac OS X GUI app? But your thread title seems to indicate otherwise.

The duration of the movie doesn't influence the difficulty level when converting.
    You may want to double-check the sync on the output for such a long movie, as a little sync loss over 2 minutes could build up over 2 hours. But that applies to conversions with any tool.

For ffmpeg command line, to encode to FLV I would use something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i sample.mov -f flv -b 740000 -r 15 -s 624x352 -ar 22050 -ac 1 sample.flv

flvtool2 -UP sample.flv
    ... but you'd get much more efficiency (quality/size) from H.264 MP4, which is Flash compatible too.
    Quote Quote