VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I went to Staples today for something totally unrelated to blank DVDs, but they had 20-packs of "MADE IN JAPAN" Maxell media in jewel cases for $3.50 each. Lots of cheap DVD cases, jewel cases, and other media too. Maybe your store has some deals too? Check the clearance racks, these are not sales or advertised specials.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dang that is cheap $3.50 for 20 pack of maxells.....too bad we don't have a Staples in Hawaii.....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Got 4 packs of the Maxells.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just bought 3 packs of 20 Maxells -r at my local Staples. $0.175 each of made in Japan goodness.

Only 4x discs, but I'm sure they will burn at 8x fine on my modded A08.

Long time since I bought -r's in jewel cases.

Oh yeah, marked as $19.99 on shelf, not in clearance area. Clerk really surprised at price.

jb
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone posted this over at Slickdeals.net and I just got back....none to be found anywhere! I have a few more locations a little father away that can be tried tomorrow or the next day. Good luck everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I bought two packs of these on Saturday. All Maxell RG02..."Made in Japan."

Burn at 4x on my 3500a, but they work much better than the RG03s that I burned at 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's a good price. But no staples here... Houston,Tx
    "What It Do"
    Huh ?????
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbarm
    Just bought 3 packs of 20 Maxells -r at my local Staples. $0.175 each of made in Japan goodness.

Only 4x discs, but I'm sure they will burn at 8x fine on my modded A08.

Long time since I bought -r's in jewel cases.

Oh yeah, marked as $19.99 on shelf, not in clearance area. Clerk really surprised at price.

jb
    I tried Japan Maxell 4xdvd-r at 4x, 8x and 12x in a pio a108. All burns were succesful but above 8x I got a lot of errors when checking the disk with plextools (brother's drive). I just use them at 4x now, a few more minutes is worth the reliability of the disk. At 4x errors are low and I use them for archiving data. I use ritek 8x when I want speed and reliability isn't as crucial. If they are on clearance for that price here in Canada I'll grab a bunch though...

edit: It was herrie's 1.10 firmware I used

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell DVD-R historically has never been that good for overspeeding; it's best with those discs to stick to their rated speed. How are the errors at 8x compared to 4x? Burning at 8x shouldn't pose much of a problem, especially with a Pioneer burner.

Personally I've had huge problems with MXLRG03 on my PX-712A at 8x and have to use 6x. I think Maxell has different production lines judging by comparing the Maxell-branded gold-colored 8x discs and the Apple 8x MXLRG03. The serial numbers engraved in the plastic hub area are totally different numbering schemes and the Apple discs have a stack ring while the Maxell ones do not. The Apple-branded ones seem much better.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Those are 4x but Office Depot has 8x of the same manf for $4.99 for 15....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And if anyone spends $75 or more you can save $15 with this coupon.

http://www.staples.com/products/SpotLights/Marketing/coupon_15off75_023342/default.asp
    Quote Quote  
  12. anyone got any extra of these they would sell? went to staples and they had none left. leave me a pm and let me know. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The Stinger
    And if anyone spends $75 or more you can save $15 with this coupon.

http://www.staples.com/products/SpotLights/Marketing/coupon_15off75_023342/default.asp
    ...and I've got a $10 off a $40 purchase coupon I'll add to this when I get home.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gen-An
    Maxell DVD-R historically has never been that good for overspeeding; it's best with those discs to stick to their rated speed. How are the errors at 8x compared to 4x? Burning at 8x shouldn't pose much of a problem, especially with a Pioneer burner.

Personally I've had huge problems with MXLRG03 on my PX-712A at 8x and have to use 6x. I think Maxell has different production lines judging by comparing the Maxell-branded gold-colored 8x discs and the Apple 8x MXLRG03. The serial numbers engraved in the plastic hub area are totally different numbering schemes and the Apple discs have a stack ring while the Maxell ones do not. The Apple-branded ones seem much better.
    I can't remember what the numbers were, but 8x was well above the acceptable limit, and 12x was even worse. Both played in my dvd player though I never watched all the way through, I just skipped chapters and watched the last few minutes of each. 4x errors weren't great but they weren't bad, nothing to worry about. By errors I mean correctable. I had both ty and mxl branded disks btw, boguht 3 spindles of made in Japan from 2 different stores.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  15. I checked my local staples today, and they didn't have any media on clearance at all. And there wasn't a single 20 pack of maxell's. I guess I'll check another staples tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this super sale, even though I didn't get any.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a favor to ask, and the answer might help other people in the same position as myself.
    I stopped at a nearby Staples, and, while the store was out of these clearance Maxells, luckily the clerk knew what I was talking about.
    There are other Staples in my area, but they are anywhere from 5 to 20 miles away. So I asked him if there were some way that he could look up whether any other Staples had any of these left.
    He said he could, but he would need a six digit Staples code that, I believe he said, could be found on the receipt (perhaps on the Staples sticker on the packaging, too ?, if anyone still has that).
    So, if someone (who has purchased this) would be able to find that number, perhaps the rest of us would be able to bring that into a Staples store to find out if any other Staples have any of these clearance Maxells left.

Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UPC = 025215626227
    That's on the receipt, on the package.
    No other stickers, SKUs, etc.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPC = 025215626227
    That's on the receipt, on the package.
    No other stickers, SKUs, etc.
    Thank you. I'll go over to Staples and give this a try.
    Quote Quote  
  19. hey lordsmurf you got any extra of these u would part ways with. my staples didnt have any
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went back over there, and from the UPC bar code they were able to look up the sku #. It is (at least in my area) 562450

Unfortunately for me, all the stores in Arizona are out -- I had reached a real nice woman at Staples' 1-800-333-3330 phone number, and she checked each store in Arizona and also mentioned that, as far as purchasing directly over the phone from Staples, they're out.
    The guy who was at the store earlier this afternoon remembered them being marked for clearance last week, so I don't know what this will mean your chances will be for those living in other states.

A quick general question. As far as the spindles of Maxell DVD-R's, how often do they tend to go on sale at various stores ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Sometimes they keep them in the back room.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=0&catid=18&threadid=424850
    I just found and was just reading this thread -- no wonder some of us here aren't able to find any boxes. Some of the people in that thread reported buying 10 or more boxes at one time. One person even bought 30 "+"'s and 7 "-"'s.
    Posted: Jan 19, 2005 18:09
    Sometimes they keep them in the back room.
    I appreciate the suggestion. It's worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Matt_
    all the stores in Arizona are out
    That stinks. No wonder I never found any....
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That stinks. No wonder I never found any....
    As I kept reading that fatwallet thread, I found out why we never stood a chance. On page "13" back on Jan 16th, someone named "dafish" said he and two friends
    "spent 6 hours at 8 Staples today and scored 97, almost 33 each. Seemed like almost all the Stores we hit in the Phoenix area had a nice supply in stock. We were shooting for 100 but didn't have time to hit another store before they closed."
    Quote Quote  
  25. Nothing where I am in Utah.
    Quote Quote