VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Canon MH160 camcorder will no longer play back MinDV tapes other than on the camera screen itself. It won't play back through the TV using the RCA cable provided - I have tried another cable to prove that it isn't a cable fault - and it can't be recognisd by the computer using the USB cable camera to computer. It used to, until this week. I've uninstalled and re-installed the software disc on to the computer.
    No problem for 6 years, now there is. I need to play the old tapes, as well as viewing new ones.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wow, no Google hits on that camera. How old is it? I was trying to look up that camera's specs as most mini tape DV cameras use firewire from camera to computer.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, not sure how old the Model is, but mine is 6 yrs. old. My last computer used Firewire, but this one has no Firewire port, and I would have thought that was the problem of connecting to the computer if I hadn't also had the problem of no picture on the TV as well, 2 problems seem to indicate a camera failure ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi, if it uses a mini tape, the camera must have a firewire port somewhere, sometimes hidden in some strange place, and it is a Mini firewire port, not the full size you find on a pc.

dv tapes cannot be transferred to a pc or laptop using any other method, as the older usb2.0 is not fast enough to do it, and because it is tape, the video is transferred in real time, so a full 1 hour tape of video actually takes 1 hour to transfer, unlike SD Cards.

have a better look around your camera for that port.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by New Zealand View Post
    2 problems seem to indicate a camera failure ?
    Yes, but the fact you can see it on the viewfinder indicates it's not a complete failure. You must try firewire. If it doesn't work you need to pick up another camera.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The camera has a firewire port, and my previous laptop has a firewire port, which I have used successfully in the past, but the current one has only USB 3.0 (I think ) hence no firewire, but that won't recognise the camera.

My old laptop fired up sufficiently - but unbelievably slowly ! - to try it again, and this time it also failed to find the camera.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. sorry i thought you said your camera has no firewire, only usb ???

anyway, of coarse your pc wont see the camera if using a usb, not even using USB3, you just cannot transfer dv tape content to a pc or laptop using usb, it MUST use firewire, and sadly, nobody makes laptops with firewire because it is no longer required, except people like you who continue to use older standard def tape cameras.

you need to find a reasonably good laptop with firewire, or get a desktop pc with a firewire card in it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    glenpinn, thank you, For this occasion I've located a Video service that will transfer to DVD for me, but for the long term ?? Probably go back to my old 8mm cine camera !! ( 'cept I've lost the projector and Kodak don't process the stuff anymore ) If it aint' broke, why fix it !!
    Quote Quote  
  9. NZ, you should seriously consider having them do a straight DV transfer to a hard drive. That way you lose no quality and you can make DVDs yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ok, yes your other option was to find someone else with a pc with firewire, or get someone to d it for you, but generally it is not a cheap option as some professional guys charge an arm and 3 legs to do it.

even i used to to digital transfers from VHS/betamax/betacam tapes and also Mini DV tapes onto the hdd, then convert the DV-Avi to mpeg2 files reeady for authoring to dvd and the hardware needed was pretty expensive.

remember the video shot on those Mini tapes is not dvd compliant mpeg2 format, they are high bitrate DV-Avi files running at about 13.5Gb per hour of video, which then needs to be converted down to a dvd compliant mpeg2 program stream at about 6 to 8Mbps, and the audio must also be compliant.

if you get this other mob to do this for you, can you ask them to put the output DV-Avi files onto a hdd for you so you can keep them for archiving, as these will be the raw DV-Avi files shot from the camera.

if you really no longer need them, well i guess you destroy them.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpiz - I think that was suggested, sounds a good idea as there will be some editing to attend to.

Think that's as far as I can go for now, thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  12. good luck with it all.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. does your camera have both firewire AND usb ... as you have posted you have tried connecting to laptop but it doesn't recognise it
    2. does your newer laptop have a pcmcia port ? - if so you could buy a pcmcia card

check out Treatme.co.nz they often do deals on film tranfer to dvd (among other things)

or try something like this ? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGIC-STATION-SI-6800-PANNELLO-CONTROLLO-PC-3-5-PORTE-USB-F...585b249&_uhb=1

good luck
    Quote Quote  
  14. The last time you connected the camera to the TV, was turned off before you connected it? So many camera circuits have been damaged by doing a 'hot' connection. ALWAYS turn off the hardware before connecting anything. This is especially relevant with firewire. Your situation may be a similar circumstance.
    Quote Quote