Bitrate : 2.10Mbps

Audio Attribute :
    Audio Coding mode : MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 without extension bitstream
    Sampling Rate : reserved = 2
    Audio application mode : Not specified
    Number of Audio channels : 2
    Bitrate : 224 Kbps
    Number of Audio streams : 1

I have an AD-600A original version, which most people say can play SVCD's, but when I burn this file with nero or vcdeasy (mpeg2 or mpegav) it just spins for several minutes in my standalone, then displays the total time (79:01)..and when I press play it shows the busy sign (hand)..and if I press stop, then play, it says invalid entry.

Can someone with an AD600A please go through the options you've successfully used to burn SVCDs with similar attributes and played on the apex? For the record the cd-rws im using play fine when VCDs are burnt on them, the mpeg plays fine in PowerDVD, and I followed the guide for Nero to the left, the 'guide' for Vcdeasy is not there. I've been very successful burning VCDs but this is my first attempt at an SVCD, please help

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: magicmycote on 2001-12-16 01:23:42 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a 600A also and have made lots of SVCDs with no problem. I prefer the program TSCV which uses the VCDImager as its engine. I have found that when you burn them with Nero they will play fine but there have been problems with displaying remaining time and using the GOTO function.

I use TMPGEnc to convert AVI files into MPG2 using the SVCD template which comes with it.

When you close the tray with the SVCD, wait until you see the word SVCD in the upper corner before you hit play. If you don't see the word SVCD, just give it a few seconds anyway. As a last resort you could update your DVD drive's loader firmware -- I have heard this improves SVCD playing ability.

Check out this site:
    www.dvd-wizards.com/darrenk

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jazzer on 2001-12-16 12:51:36 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I heard if if you update the firmware you'll lose the ability to block macrovision..is that accurate? I would like to keep the ability to easily backup my dvds. Also, If I have a mpeg which is already in SVCD format (with settings from first post), and it won't play, would it benefit me to run it through tmpgenc with the svcd template?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I also have the AD600A. Basically it'll play everything, but it's really 'sensetive' Put the disc in and wait for the drive to recongize it as a SVCD. Wait maybe 5secs after that, and then hit the enter (not play) on the remote.
    If you try to play it before the SVCD screen comes up, you'll get nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Did you guys use the MPEGAV folder or the MPEG2 folder?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Vejita-sama is right, it is a sensitive device. You need to wait a little bit before you press the enter key.

I have been using the MPEG2 folder, not the older MPEGAV.
    There are two types of firmware for the 600a: the board firmware and the loader firmware. The macrovision part is in the board firmware. It all depends on what rev you have, the old A8 version had a loopholes menu which let you block the macrovision that way. There are newer N5/6 versions which have been patched to eliminate the macrovision permanently without need of a menu. That stuff is all on Darren K's site.

I'm not sure if you need to rerun them through if you have some other tool which created them. It's strange that you're having this problem though. You wouldn't run it through unless it was starting from AVI format anyway.

Good luck

Quote Quote  
  7. I was letting it initilize several minutes...as I mentioned it took a long time to display the time, at which point it is usually ready to play. Hitting the enter key caused it to display invalid entry. I did however solve this problem, by using regular CDRs..I don't know why the CDRW's I've been using to watch VCDs wont work with this SVCD mpeg, perhaps the higher bitrate was the culprit, but nonetheless it plays just fine using a regular CDR (was trying to save coasters *shrugs*)..Thanks for all your help!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use Nero to burn CD's

My 600a will play SVCD if they are a single file. It will not play them if a put several on the disk and create a menu.

It handles menu's on VCDs just fine. Go figure.

Multiple chapters seem to work out well since you cannot reliably fast forward and keep audio/video sync.

Quote Quote  
  9. Hey,

Though I have not done anything extensive, I have Nero'd vcd and svcd stuff from files converted using TMPGEnc with the standard templates. Plays fine on my AD600.

Patrick
    Hey! -- it worked. About time!
    Quote Quote