VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all. I have a problem with the codec pack K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. Until now I used version 7.6.0 for Windows 7 Ultimate. The same version was working normally before this and the Windows XP. I really like this version but unfortunately it stopped working on Windows 7 Ultimate, and I uninstalled it.

I've been working constantly with video editing with VirtualDub, my favorite format for output video files is MJPEG, set default quality of 85. With it, the picture quality is good and the size of the output files is small.

I installed a version of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 10.60, but with her I have problem-when I installed the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 7.6.0 from raw MJPEG video cutting out a part and her record in MJPEG format-the size of the the source video is 2.77 MB. Now when I installed the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 10.60, same video cutting out the same part and save it in a format MJPEG the size of the source video file is 5.88 MB?!?!? I tried with other versions of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (10, 30, 10,35, 10.40, 10.50)-I always get double large proportions of the same cropped part of the same video file. Why is this? The installation process has the option "RESET ALL SETTINGS TO THEIR DEFAULTS" which default is included, but clearly not all resets settings to default. After you install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, I restart the computer and I run VirtualDub, all video codecs settings decoders and encoders are like before I uninstall the previous version of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

Please help me, how and in what manner, then uninstall K-Lite Mega Codec Pack to reset all default settings, and then clear to install the new package with codecs? I want to use the newer version of the codec pack and want the output video to MJPEG format but is not maximized too much.

Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Please forget the K-Lite codec packs. At least if your goal is encode to mjpeg with VirtualDub. In this case, all you need is ffdshow.

Regarding its mjpeg encoder though, it's not impossible that the older versions were better than the recent ones...
    But I am not very sure about this, since I prefer a commercial codec for encoding to MJPEG
    (namely, PicVideo).
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK, I've uninstalled K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, and I installed the latest version of ffdshow, but despite this, I continue to receive excessive output MJPEG videos. When launching the VirtualDub, all settings were as before I uninstall K-Lite Mega Codec Pack? I'm looking for a tool or a way to delete all the other decoders and encoders and codecs, and reset all settings to default. Then install ffdshow only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. from raw MJPEG video cutting out a part and her record in MJPEG format-the size of the the source video is 2.77 MB.
    If source is mjpeg and desired destination format is mjpeg, all all you are doing is simple cuts (not filtering or other manipulations) - did you use video=>direct stream copy , audio=>direct stream copy in vdub? You can cut mjpeg frame accurately without re-encoding or losing quality because it's an intraframe format. This means output should be closely proportional to the size of the cut, will never be larger

my favorite format for output video files is MJPEG, set default quality of 85. With it, the picture quality is good and the size of the output files is small.
    When re-encoding or using other source formats, - did you consider using better compression? like x264vfw ? smaller filesizes, better quality than mjpeg largely because it uses temporal compression and inloop deblocking. But it tends to be more difficult to decode and edit, but it's clearly better for final distribution formats, easily 1/2 to 1/3 of the size with better quality
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can not use "direct stream copy" since I use multiple filters. I don't want to use another compression than MJPEG. I will try to explain why? For example, I watch my movies in this way: stop the movie on pause, and rewind with slider through all the footage. In MJPEG frequency of scroll through pictures I like, because each step is displayed frame, while x 264 I need to do a few steps to see one frame. It is very important to me. This is one of the reasons why the MJPEG is my favorite format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No one can offer me a tool after uninstall, delete all other decoders, encoders and codecs, and reset all default settings?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I see no point in setting quality as it means nothing - use fixed quantizer for MJPEG, verify results with ffmpeg (create uncompressed or lossy compressed video and verify size then compress with ffmpeg to mjpeg).
    Quote Quote  
  8. I can't work with FFMPEG. It is too complicated for me. Can anyone offer similar programs like Avidemux with built-in MJPEG Decoder?
    Quote Quote  
  9. "similar" to avidemux ? how about avidemux ?

You can overwrite the ffdshow install with and older version. Try downloading old ffdshow version that matches the revision number of the old one. Something might have changed in their mjpeg encoder
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow/old-versions#download

But it might just be that the source file you have requires more bitrate (it might be noisy, high complexity content) . Did you try that test on an older video that you already did this test on?

You can also set x264 to encode intra frame only. Quality/compression ratio still is better than mjpeg, but might only be slightly better. Seeking / navigation performance will be similar
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by pranjev View Post
    I can't work with FFMPEG. It is too complicated for me. Can anyone offer similar programs like Avidemux with built-in MJPEG Decoder?
    There is nothing complicated in ffmpeg especially in case for simple MJPEG compression - and this is only for verification of your setup.

Create text file (notepad) with extension cmd (or bat), copy bellow comandline and paste in text file, save file (use simple name for file to avoid typing many letters (for example ffmjpeg.cmd).

later write in commandline name of this file for example ffmjpeg and put SPACE then name of your file and that's all.

Code:
    @ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -c:v mjpeg -q:v 4.0 -dc 8 -an %1.avi
    Quote Quote  
  11. Quote: "You can also set x264 to encode intra frame only".

How do I set the encode H 264 to be only in the frame?

Will I be able to get the same frame rates as in MJPEG?
    Last edited by pranjev; 10th Aug 2014 at 14:26.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by pranjev View Post
    Quote: "You can also set x264 to encode intra frame only".

How do I set the encode H 264 to be only in the frame?

Will I be able to get the same frame rates as in MJPEG?
    If you're using x264vfw, in the extra commandline box enter --keyint 1 . Or you can use small GOP sizes instead of intra only to improve compression, yet still have fast navigation

What do you mean by frame rates ? encode frame rates? decode frame rates? video frame rates ? Unless otherwise specfied, the source input frame rate will be same as output video frame rate

You can encode faster or slower by using faster or slower settings. In general, the slower the settings the higher the compression ratio at a given CRF level .

It's a complex encoder that is highly configurable. Here are some explanations for some of the settings
    http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

Did you try installing ffdshow? If k-lite doesn't work for that windows 7, the separate ffdshow might still be able to install over it

Changelog 7.5.0 to 7.6.0 ~ 2011-08-08
    Updated ffdshow to revision 3964
    rev 3964 can be downloaded from the old versions
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow/old-versions#download

But it might not be the encoder, it might just be your source characteristics causing the difference
    Quote Quote  
  13. I wanted to say frame rate of encoded with H 264 videos, is the same as that of MJPEG, i.e. with a H 264 to greater frequency of frames in the video stream footage themselves more and more dense, as in MJPEG.

For example, released a movie encoded with MJPEG and stop it on pause and start to rewind through the thumbnails, then each frame sees the picture, and when a movie encoded with H 264 is not the case, you need to fast-forward a few frames to see one picture.

Try to run a movie encoded with MJPEG with BSplayer Pro, stop it on pause, and scroll through the thumbnails, then run a movie encoded with stop H 264, he paused, and scroll through the thumbnails, I'm sure that you will understand what I mean.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pranjev View Post
    I wanted to say frame rate of encoded with H 264 videos, is the same as that of MJPEG, i.e. with a H 264 to greater frequency of frames in the video stream footage themselves more and more dense, as in MJPEG.

For example, released a movie encoded with MJPEG and stop it on pause and start to rewind through the thumbnails, then each frame sees the picture, and when a movie encoded with H 264 is not the case, you need to fast-forward a few frames to see one picture.

Try to run a movie encoded with MJPEG with BSplayer Pro, stop it on pause, and scroll through the thumbnails, then run a movie encoded with stop H 264, he paused, and scroll through the thumbnails, I'm sure that you will understand what I mean.
    MJPEG is intra only. The keyframe interval =1. When you use x264 with --keyint 1 it's the same thing each frame is encoded separately and not dependent on other frames .

I don't use bsplayer, I don't know what you're talking about "thumbnails"? What thumbnails? But you can do frame by frame navigation with other players even with long GOP videos (normal videos, not mjpeg). It's the function of the splitter and decoder. e.g. kmplayer, potplayer , mpchc, vlc can navigate frame by frame on any video . If bsplayer can't do that, consider using something else
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!