VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone have any idea how to burn rar video files to dvd to play on dvd players on Windows 8? I can only burn as data discs, not sure how to make dvd player compatiable. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Extract the content from the rar files with winrar or 7zip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. rar files are like zip files. They're not video files. The variety you're referring to are no doubt a file or several files, compressed to rar (much like compressing and creating a zip file) and split into multiple parts.

If you have one of the programs Baldrick mentioned installed and you highlight all the rar files, then right click, the menu should have options for extracting. Much like extracting a single zip file.
    If you highlight any extra or non related files in the same folder as the split rar file you may only find an option to compress to zip etc, not extract. With just the rar files selected you should be able to extract.

The files you extract could literally be anything, not necessarily DVD video files ready to burn.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to make such files ready to burn to dvd? I have WinRAR downloaded, but is there a way to go from there to burn to dvd? Not sure I am understanding correctly or not. Sorry I am not the most knowledgable about computer related things, but I would be interested in understanding more. Thanks for replies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. You can't burn with winrar. Google for winrar guides/tutorials....and after you extracted the data tell us what you got.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Un-ZIPping or un-RARing those files is only the FIRST step of MANY steps it takes to make what is inside those RAR files into a playable DVD.
    If you are willing to learn these steps and willing to download the software required to create a playable DVD....this is the place to learn.
    If not....this will not be fun for you.
    Long story short, you cannot just burn stuff/video files to a DVD to make a DVD that is playable by anyone on their DVD player that is attached to a television.....you need to create something else BEFORE you burn a playable DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Use winrar to unarchive the rar files to (hopefully) a video file.
    2. Install AvstoDVD. Since the video file probably isn't standard DVD compliant video (and DVD players are very dumb about the formats they understand ... they're not like VLC) it has to be converted first to DVD compliant.
    3. You'll now have a folder or .iso file with video a DVD player understands. Burn the contents to DVD.

Beyond that read the tutorials.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a video file of a fan subbed movie which runs 87-88 mins. Which tutorials would be suggested reading to better understand the process? Authoring, capturing, or converting? Sorry I am new to this, so I am uncertain which tutorials apply. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by cmeffa; 24th Jan 2015 at 12:39.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    A rar file is like vacuum packed coffee grind. You need to open the package first to get to the good stuff.

Thus you need to unrar the file first before you get to the video file.

7Zip is my favorite tool for that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cmeffa View Post
    It is a video file of a fan subbed movie which runs 87-88 mins. Which tutorials would be suggested reading to better understand the process? Authoring, capturing, or converting? Sorry I am new to this, so I am uncertain which tutorials apply. Thanks in advance
    Hmm. Well, cmeffa, like hech54, I'd have to say that you might have some tough going here. But we'll see....

First of all, telling us that you have "a video" is like telling us that you have "a car". Not much information, is it?

[EDIT] Oops. Forget it. You're using a Mac. Good luck.

How about moving this to the Mac forum, fellas?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    [EDIT] Oops. Forget it. You're using a Mac. Good luck.

How about moving this to the Mac forum, fellas?
    I don't see a Mac reference.....where is it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    In the O.P.'s profile.

MediaInfo has a Mac version, but it's not free (at the silly cost of $0.99).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Post #1:

how to burn rar video files to dvd to play on dvd players on Windows 8?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    According to the O.P.'s profile, he has Mac. I'm going by the user's profile. Maybe there's a Win8 computer somewhere in the user's life but he uses a Mac for everything else. Maybe the O.P. should update the profile. Maybe the O.P. should also give us more info. I have little hope of that, though. Looks like another drop by drop situation so far.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cmeffa View Post
    Anyone have any idea how to burn rar video files to dvd to play on dvd players on Windows 8? I can only burn as data discs, not sure how to make dvd player compatiable. Thanks in advance.
    Download WinRar & install it:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/search/results.cfm?q=winrar

At your file:
    right click on it > Winrar > Extract here

They are usually Data files (program, app. suite, etc.) that can be burn as data into a CD-R & some times burn as data into a DVD-R.

- Roxio, etc. can burn the CD-R or DVD-R.
    - But I / We think: you will not going to find any video in it.

Hope this help.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 25th Jan 2015 at 13:58.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I didn't mean to upset anyone by giving so little info. I am not sure what info to give on the rar file. I was asked what do I have when I open it up and extracted the data and what I got was a video file. Not sure what other info that is needed as I am new to this. Again I apologize. Also I used to have a Mac and now I have Windows 8. I opened the file with WinRAR so I accomplished that step. Do I install avstodvd or 7zip as suggested and go from there? Again I apologize in advance if I seem like I am not giving correct info. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do I install 7zip
    No.
    WinRAR already did that job(unpacking the RAR file).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should I install astodvd as Hoser Rob suggested and do the following steps they wrote down? Would this make it dvd compliant?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read some tutorials and I saw one about burning vlc player files to dvd. They recommended Wondershare DVD creator. Is this a good choice of software? I tried to copy and paste the article but it will not allow me to do so. Can you go about converting it to dvd this way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should I install astodvd as Hoser Rob suggested and do the following steps they wrote down? Would this make it dvd compliant?
    The level of your questioning is now getting to the point of annoyance.

Do what has been suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The level of your questioning is now getting to the point of annoyance.

Do what has been suggested.
    Me too. I'm thinking troll seeking attention. I'm done.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by cmeffa View Post
    Read some tutorials and I saw one about burning vlc player files to dvd. They recommended Wondershare DVD creator. Is this a good choice of software? I tried to copy and paste the article but it will not allow me to do so. Can you go about converting it to dvd this way?

I update my post > #15

Read it.
    thx.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 25th Jan 2015 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by cmeffa View Post
    It depends on the file you extracted from the rar files. What is it? An AVI, or an MP4 or an MKV etc?

Many DVD players will play AVI files (but not MP4 or MKV) after burning them to disc as data files.

If not, then a program such as AvstoDVD needs to be used to re-encode the video and audio and output it in a DVD-Video compliant format, and it then needs to be burned to DVD as a compliant DVD-video disc. A program such as ImgBurn will do that.

If you're using a Mac, I have no idea as far as software goes.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you to all those who were helpful and apologies to those who thought I was trolling as that wasn't the intention. Will give it a try. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It depends on the file you extracted from the rar files. What is it? An AVI, or an MP4 or an MKV etc?

Many DVD players will play AVI files (but not MP4 or MKV) after burning them to disc as data files.

If not, then a program such as AvstoDVD needs to be used to re-encode the video and audio and output it in a DVD-Video compliant format, and it then needs to be burned to DVD as a compliant DVD-video disc. A program such as ImgBurn will do that.

If you're using a Mac, I have no idea as far as software goes.
    I know that video can be inside a data file, but I never have it this way (delivery/send) and by abstracting, from abstracted file, then play around with it.

It will be nice if @cmeffa can share the file with us, maybe we can learn something new !?
    I don't think it will be in a piracy category, since is no $ gain to it !?
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 27th Jan 2015 at 15:48.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by DJ_ValBec View Post
    It will be nice if @cmeffa can share the file with us, maybe we can learn something new !?
    I don't think it will be in a piracy category, since is no $ gain to it !?
    Chances are it'd be a piracy concern, given pirated video is often contained in split RAR archives.
    It was done that way because the file could be split into small sections for uploading and downloading, and if there was a problem with a dropped connection etc, it'd just mean downloading one of the parts again rather than a whole large file. Split RAR archives also have built in error detection, so if one of the parts is corrupted, you'd find out when trying to extract the contents.

These days, with torrents being used so much, split rar files for video aren't as common. They're usually extracted before uploading, but not always.
    https://torrentfreak.com/unpack-rar-archives-before-you-release-a-torrent/
    Quote Quote  
  27. @hello_hello

Thx. for the lesson.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!