VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine bought this player and wants to watch some of the files I have which are in AVI format. Does anyone know if this player will read AVI files, like some of the dvd players use to do?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
    M
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AVI is a container....not a "format".
    And a 15 second Google search finds the answer:
    http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players/lg-BD640-blu-ray-dvd-player
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I didn't know that about AVI files. Thank you for the information. I did do a search for the file formats, I was actually wondering has anyone tried it.
    but thank you so much for your response. Much appreciated.

M
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The link provided seems to indicate that this player does NOT support AVI containers. Just wanted to be sure that was clear.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Someone at Amazon claims it does support Divx and Xvid (presumably AVI) even though the manual doesn't say it does. I would surprised if it doesn't since other LG players that support media files also support Divx/Xvid AVI. My BD670 certainly does.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Someone at Amazon claims it does support Divx and Xvid (presumably AVI) even though the manual doesn't say it does. I would surprised if it doesn't since other LG players that support media files also support Divx/Xvid AVI. My BD670 certainly does.
    The manual for the BD640 says it plays XVid in an AVI container, but says nothing about DivX at all. (I downloaded the manual to look.)

Support for XVid does not necessarily mean DivX is supported. At least one of this year's model BD players from LG ( BP220) supports XVid in an AVI container, but not DivX. Someone here at Video Help even tried a DivX AVI with a BP220, but it would not play until the foucc code was changed to XVID.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Jul 2012 at 18:18. Reason: corrected model number to BP220
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you all for your help. I really do appreciate it. I will probably try to get mkv files. they should work.

I appreciate all your time and comments.
    thank you again

M
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 LG610's and they both play Xvid & Divx.

Xvid is basically the same as Divx, Xvid is just the free alternative to Divx.

At least one of this year's model BD players from LG ( BP220) supports XVid in an AVI container, but not DivX. Someone here at Video Help even tried a DivX AVI with a BP220, but it would not play until the foucc code was changed to XVID.
    That does not mean it won't play Divx, it just means someone encoded it wrong.

I doubt they would make newer versions less compatible than older versions.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post

Actually it probably means that LG decided not to pay any licensing fees to Divx and that's the reason it requires an Xvid fourcc code. This was fairly common about 4-5 years ago but less common recently.

Sony makes new players that are less compatible than older ones.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jman98;2175741]
    This was fairly common about 4-5 years ago but less common recently.
    Okay, common 4-5 years ago, my LG bluray players are not even a year old yet.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Sony makes new players that are less compatible than older ones.
    LOL!!!

$ony is just a joke any way you look at it!!!

Back 10+ years ago they sold cd burners, sold cdr media, yet openly admitted that they made their standalone players, dvd & cd, so they would NOT play cdr media!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 LG610's and they both play Xvid & Divx.

Xvid is basically the same as Divx, Xvid is just the free alternative to Divx.

At least one of this year's model BD players from LG ( BP220) supports XVid in an AVI container, but not DivX. Someone here at Video Help even tried a DivX AVI with a BP220, but it would not play until the foucc code was changed to XVID.

I know that Xvid and DivX are virtually the same animal. However, if someone has enough expertise to know about FourCC, and knows what program to use to patch the FourCC code in an AVI file, what are the chances that they would do their testing with a file that had something wrong with it? I think it is as jman98 said, LG decided not to pay DivX licensing fees for some of its products that are capable of playing media files.
    Quote Quote