VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a solid method of determining whether a tape has been recorded using Dolby B noise reduction?

Could it be determined by looking at a spectrogram or spectrum histogram?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This is a joke right?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    This is a joke right?
    I do love it when you reply to posts with snide comments and no real content.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about audio cassette ? I could always tell be listening to it.
    If playing back with Dolby turned on removed all the high frequencies so that it sounded dull, most likely it
    was recorded without Dolby.
    Likewise if playback with Dolby turned off plays back with emphasized high frequencies, Dolby was probably
    used in the recording.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    And I think this topic is rather misplaced (a.f.a.i.k., Dolby NR is not video capture ).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right that this is probably better in the audio capture forum, my mistake.

I'm talking about Dolby B NR on VHS tapes, but it should be the same as on other formats too I guess.

The recording doesn't have many high frequencies, the frequency response goes up to about 10KHz. I was just wondering if there was a more quantitative way of determining this than just listening and deciding which sounds better. It seems that there really must be.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't even know there was a VHS deck that used Dolby stereo on the linear tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I didn't even know there was a VHS deck that used Dolby stereo on the linear tracks.
    Some did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vhs#Original_linear_audio_system
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My parents have a 1980 front loading jvc with linear stereo with dolby b,cost them $1100 at the time.It's currently stored away.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You MIGHT be able to determine the difference statistically based on expected vs. actual power distribution of the frequency spectrum, but that would never be even close to reliable unless the material in question was prefaced with accompanying Dolby calibration tones.
    And, as an old school analog process, it doesn't have any flags or metadata.

So your best bet is to do what was already suggested and guess.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is frakking obvious. Listen to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post
    I'm talking about Dolby B NR on VHS tapes, but it should be the same as on other formats too I guess.
    Dolby B NR on VHS linear track audio? Gosh a domestic machine for that is probably around 1980. Amazing if it's still working
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many many professional decks have Dolby B NR built in. This includes professional decks produced right up to the end of VHS's lifetime.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Except in real life, historically, it never has been OBVIOUS. That's part of the reason one needed to use calibration tones on professional masters. That's also the reason Dolby B was chosen to be used on the great majority of audiocassettes - it is relatively weak & doesn't change things that much (so it can't "ruin" it too much if it is misjudged, which it often could be).

If you aren't very familiar with the recorded material to begin with, and don't know the relative quality of your sound medium (tape material consistency), you have little way of knowing if the sound you were hearing was SUPPOSED to be mixed that way, or rather that there may have been some mis-adjustment with the playback head azimuth/interchange, and/or deterioration in the recorded sound.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dolby b sounds the best on the original deck it was recorded on,on other decks with heads that are misaligned then it would sound like crap.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Dolby b sounds the best on the original deck it was recorded on,on other decks with heads that are misaligned then it would sound like crap.
    VHS linear tracks don't quite have the issues with azimuth and alignment that compact cassette has.

That being said, tapes with Dolby NR on VHS linear tracks are rare. Unless you have a tape with dual linear tracks, you won't encounter it. The only consumer decks with linear stereo were produced in 1983-86 and were high end and uncommon. Professional editors had it too, but you won't run across too much of those outside of high school and university TV studios.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you ever worked on vcrs?They do have alignment problems especially in the ep mode and the linear audio tends to skew in sound.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post
    Is there a solid method of determining whether a tape has been recorded using Dolby B noise reduction?

Generally yes but it can be not conclusive (as level is variable):
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/tape5.html
    http://www.pacificav.com/library/dolbybcsnoisereduction.html
    http://www.hansvanzutphen.com/tape_restore_live/help/1.0/dolby_b_filter.html
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Except in real life, historically, it never has been OBVIOUS. That's part of the reason one needed to use calibration tones on professional masters. That's also the reason Dolby B was chosen to be used on the great majority of audiocassettes - it is relatively weak & doesn't change things that much (so it can't "ruin" it too much if it is misjudged, which it often could be).

If you aren't very familiar with the recorded material to begin with, and don't know the relative quality of your sound medium (tape material consistency), you have little way of knowing if the sound you were hearing was SUPPOSED to be mixed that way, or rather that there may have been some mis-adjustment with the playback head azimuth/interchange, and/or deterioration in the recorded sound.

Scott
    This is what I have found too.

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post

Generally yes but it can be not conclusive (as level is variable):
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/tape5.html
    http://www.pacificav.com/library/dolbybcsnoisereduction.html
    http://www.hansvanzutphen.com/tape_restore_live/help/1.0/dolby_b_filter.html
    Thanks for the links.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!