VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello just used AVStoDVD today and burned with imgBurn.

I encoded an 1.38gb movie and the folder came to 4.7gigs.

Why that big?

So what i want to do is make 13 episodes to a dvd.

I have some 8.5gig discs, so i know i am going to have use like 3 discs or so.

So what is the best that i can do for this?

4.40 gigs is the folder size for all my episodes by the way.
    Last edited by Erik419; 26th Feb 2014 at 19:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you were encoding wasn't a 1.38GB movie anymore, it was an uncompressed, xx Minute movie that you were encoding, and the result was 4.7GB (which size is totally under your control for most good softs). What a filesize was for a file compressed with Compression A has very little bearing on what that filesize might be when compressed with Compression B.

Filesize = Bitrate * running time.

13 episodes * ?1 hour each = 13 hours = 780 min. = 46800 sec.
    8.5G discs are actually more like 7.95GB = 8140.8MB = 65126.4Mb

65126.4 / 46800 = 1.39 Mbps. That's your target average bitrate (whether using VBR, CQ or CBR). Assuming you have 1hour eps.
    If files rate higher than this, they just won't fit onto one disc.

If you are using DL discs, your size limit is what I said above, NOT 4.37GB. That is for SL discs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Erik419 View Post
    I encoded an 1.38gb movie and the folder came to 4.7gigs.

Why that big?
    Maybe because, by default, it's set to fill a DVD5. Use a lower bitrate and make it any size you want.
    So what i want to do is make 13 episodes to a dvd.
    With 4 per disc except for one with 5? And these are hour-long shows, so roughly 45 minutes per episode? 180 minutes for 2 discs and 225 minutes for the third? Easily done with DVD9s. It shouldn't be a problem for AvsToDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. each ep is around 326MB-360MB with the last one 457MB

Now i using AVStoDVD so i go to Preferences and Video and change the bitrate there? I see lower and higher..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't under stand why you need to change the bitrate.
    A2D always picks the best bitrate to accommodate the disk size and assets run-time.

Just add enough episodes to the project, maximum 3 hours in total (4.7GB DVD), and let the program
    do it's thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Erik419 View Post
    each ep is around 326MB-360MB with the last one 457MB

Now i using AVStoDVD so i go to Preferences and Video and change the bitrate there? I see lower and higher..
    Again, source video filesize bears little relation to destination video filesize (particularly when you are converting to a different format with different compression efficiencies). It's the LENGTHS that are important. Bitrate can be adjusted accordingly to get you the size limitation you need. Understand that there is also interaction with how MANY aggregate clips you have/want and the quality of each on the final disc.

Following what has already been told to you should get you where you want to go.

Scott
    Quote Quote