VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to convert my VHS tapes to DVDs and want to know if this is possible using a DVD/VHS combo player (not recorder.) The model I have is Panasonic PV-D4733S. I have the red/yellow/white cables to connect it as it shows, but am not sure if it's possible or if I need more equipment. Will buy some blank DVDs when I know it's possible.

--> Page 35 of the manual seems to indicate I can do it, but the instructions are confusing.

http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/panasonic/pvd4733s.html?p=35
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That looks like a video recorder (VCR) and dvd-player combo so the answer is no.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Without a DVD recorder, you can't record your tapes. Period. I am puzzled as to why you even have to ask.

But to provide some more details, we don't recommend the use of VHS/DVD recorder devices around here. If your tapes are commercial or if they homemade and have various issues due to the passage of time, the DVD recorder part of the combo unit will freak out, assume you're trying to record commercial VHS tapes, and refuse to do so. The only way to get commercial tapes or damaged home made ones to record is to put a TBC (time base corrector) between the VHS player and the DVD recorder, so they have to be separate.

As I say all the time here, you are really late to be waking up to the idea that maybe now you need to start saving your precious tapes. The golden age of doing this was YEARS ago. You need to prioritize what you REALLY need to save vs. what would be nice to have and if you do start, start with the critical ones first in case your VCR doesn't last. We recently had a post from a guy who says he has 200 video tapes of personal movies to save and he's nuts. Honestly at this point, the fewer tapes you have to capture, the better. And trying to capture a boat load of (for example) Star Trek The Next Generation VHS tapes because you paid $30 each for them decades ago and got the whole set is nuts when you could just buy the DVDs or BluRays now and get better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I back what jman98 says from experience. About a year and a half ago, I purchased a Toshiba DVR620 VCR/DVR combination because we were moving and didn't want to move all of our tapes with us, and I was in a hurry to get it done. The VHS-C tapes copied, but I experienced false copy protection on some of my VHS tapes. These were not commercial tapes. Because the VCR/DVR unit doesn't provide any good editing capabilities to eliminate unwanted parts of my home videos I searched for a site to learn about editing software and found this site. I started to read the guides at this site and at www. digitalfaq.com and learned a lot about the equipment and cost required to correctly transfer VHS to DVD. Because I was in such a hurry when I made my DVDs I didn't compare the original VHS recording to the DVD on the same TV. When I did, I was shocked to find that the VHS was better than the DVD and in some cases much better. I highly suggest you read the guides before spending any money.

You didn't mention if these were home videos or commercial tapes and how many you have. If you have a small quantity of home videos, I would suggest finding a professional place to do the transfer because it will probably be cheaper than buying the equipment to do it right.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by garyg45 View Post
    You didn't mention if these were home videos or commercial tapes and how many you have. If you have a small quantity of home videos, I would suggest finding a professional place to do the transfer because it will probably be cheaper than buying the equipment to do it right.
    I concur with and jman98. Firstly if it is commercially available on DVD, and you really would like a permanent copy, then just buying it again is IMO better as you'll have a vastly improved quality version. If it is something that you might like to watch again, see if it is available on services like Netflicks etc. Finally, if it something not commercially available (home made family movie etc.) and you'd like to do it yourself, get a capture device and record it to your computer and then edit it as per a normal video clip, and then burn to DVD if you desire. I've used the VHS to DVD adapter by MAGIX and EASYCAP respectively, captured, re-encoded, and then edited. The quality was satisfactory, with MAGIX a little better IMO. As they were random home videos, this approach worked, but is a lot of effort, and I don't advise for generic movies etc. that are readily available elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Combo is Dumbo. I use a DVR and an independent VCR to do the job.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!