VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just burned some music videos to DVD with my Verbatim media and noticed that if you look edgewise at the media it looks like there is a slit all the way around the disks, (all of them not just some) and wondered why. No CD/DVD i ever saw has this. It looks like a cheap glue job on the disk halves, so I am posting a thread here to see if all the super knowledgeable people here on the forum may know why!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would be more concerned if I could not detect a 'slit'
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Seeing as how ALL optical disc media (whether pressed, burned dye or burned phase-change) are built with layers and those layers are glued together, you have nothing to worry about unless those layers start separating. Are they?

...Just check my most top quality media: ALL show the layers, so I don't know what you mean by "No disc I saw ever looked like this".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by yeoldmetalhead228 View Post
    No CD/DVD i ever saw has this. It looks like a cheap glue job on the disk halves
    You probably just never noticed before, or you've only looked closely at CDs.

CDs are one single-piece plastic disc with a thin recording layer covered by a thin protective lacquer. Viewed from the side, all CDs look like a single solid disc. DVDs and most other optical media are made of two thinner discs, with the recording layer sandwiched between them. Depending how carefully the mfr attends to cosmetic finishing, viewed from the side they can also look deceptively like a single solid disc.

Today, with blank media a profitless commodity mfrs couldn't care less about, it is more common to see what you noticed: an incredibly sloppy "glue job" obviously holding the two DVD halves together on the outer edges and in the hub area. It is very common for the hub area to show distinct separation between the two halves, with just a drop of adhesive holding the hub together. Which is probably not great at keeping the recording layer sealed from the elements. Even the vaunted Verbatim and TY 8x professional DVD-Rs look really sloppy today (and I've had more than a few TYs actually separate completely as I remove them from the package).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, that was very good info guys

Nope, none of the DVD"S look like they are coming apart.

I do have some cheap HP branded DVD's and they appear a solid piece, like CD's do. So I figured the higher end Verbatims would not look glued together.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!