VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I'm using Virtualdub to capture my tapes.

I have a raw file, that I want to encode and reduce the size to 2/3Gb. But with the best quality. I don't want to see the difference.
    What is the best way to do the perfect encode ?

I'd like to stay on Virtualdub, nothing else. x264 is the right choice ?
    I did a screenshot : what is the best setting to use ?

What should I know ? From what I learned, multipass is the best method.

THANK YOU
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	x264.png
Views:	37
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	63672  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You should not use x264vfw to try to put AVC video into the AVI container which does not support this video format completely.

VirtualDub2 still contains all the features you know (including capturing) but also has the x264 video encoder integrated, along with ffmpeg audio encoders for AAC or MP3, and can write MP4 files (recommendable file type: "MP4 +faststart"). Use 1-pass quality based encoding (CRF) and test which rate factor value creates a good compromise between quality retention and file size for your material. I would suggest a range of 15..18 for the first tests, there should be no obvious loss of quality (smaller RF = better but bigger).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the advice. Should I use x264 8bit or 10bit ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    8 bit is more compatible to different playback devices and usually suitable for real-life video content. 10 bit can have advantages in special cases, like cartoons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Image
    [Attachment 63711 - Click to enlarge]

Am I using the last version ? Let me know with the right link, if I need to upgrade.
    And what is the settings I need to change (if I need to) ? Note : it's always for "real-life video content".

update : is it possible to do ac3 audio, with the video ? I'd like to use this audio format
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    VirtualDub2 has not been updated often in the last time, but x264 has neither much, it is pretty mature. So yes, they are recent versions.

You may use preset "Slow" or "Slower" if you appreciate the extra efforts. Depending on your capturing and whether you scale the width in software or not, you may use SAR width/height ratios for correct deskewing. If your material is interlaced, then you should add --tff to the extra command line.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I attached a small part of the kind of file I have. This, is the raw vhs capture I have when I'm done.
    I just removed the audio.

I used the settings you told me to put.
    And I have the warning at the end of the process (is it important ?)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01.setting.png
Views:	13
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	63713  

Click image for larger version

Name:	02.warning.png
Views:	11
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	63714  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    This warning is not important, just telling you that a useful but less important feature does not work in interlaced mode, so it got disabled, yet everything else works fine.

Have a little patience, might be that other people with more practical experience have more good advice later...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you again LigH.de
    Quote Quote