VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I have used MPEG Streamclip before on my laptop, and it used to work fine but then stopped working.
    So today I installed it and QT Alternative (the version recommended on the MPEG Streamclip site) for the first time on my main computer, and the same thing happens.

I load an MPEG2 video file, and the Streamclip window immediately has trouble redrawing itself.
    The box for the video will show, and the video controls (play etc.) will show, but then it may start blinking in and out or not show at all. If the video plays (if I hit the play button just right), there is no video, but audio plays.
    The rest of the Streamclip window will slowly continue building, i.e. the buttons and sections will one by one come into view.
    But otherwise it is fairly unresponsive, and it uses 100% of one of my CPUs. I have to force quit it.

I just noticed that I had QT Lite installed (had forgotten about that), and I also have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed with ffdshow etc.

Are there any known issues between different codecs (e.g. QT Lite) or other programs with MPEG Streamclip?

If I import an AVI file, I still have no video (or it will flicker so fast that you can't see it), and the video controls flicker, but audio plays, and the program is responsive otherwise, so it seems to be an MPEG issue. I did install everything with QT Alternative, so the MPEG plugin should be there.

I don't have a job right now, so I can't afford to buy software, and I have heard from a relative that supposedly even professionals use MPEG Streamclip (but maybe the Mac version). So I'd like to use that unless I can find an alternative.
    I have tried MPEG2CUT2 but found that it will on occasion create broken or damaged MPEG files, and I'd like more control over my edit points (my TiVo creates videos with key frames spread pretty far...).

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "and I have heard from a relative that supposedly even professionals use MPEG Streamclip" ----- Your relative is wrong. Most professionals don't edit MPEG. When they do, I've found Womble to be the tool of choice, amongst peers. Most editing is done in a full NLE, like Premiere or Final Cut Pro. Most editing is cut on Windows machines now, too -- not Mac as the fanboys would have you believe. Again, deluded people. (Don't get me wrong, Mac is fine, good tools, excellent workflows --- just not the tool of choice for many, many years now.)

Anyway....

By installing a codec pack, you screwed up. All your problems are likely related to this. Removing all codec pack crap may fix it. If not, you may have to reformat the computer -- codec packs can make a major mess.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heh, I guess you're right - this particular person was very insisting that the "pro" she knows SWEARS on MPEG Streamclip - but she is not always the brightest bulb in the box... So please forgive my ignorance, and thanks for your information and advice.
    I personally prefer PC also (at least XP), but can work comfortably on Mac, too - if someone else buys it for me

When you say Womble, do you mean Womble MPEG2VCR ?

I have used Premiere a while ago, but I don't remember if it had issues with MPEG files or not...

What do you suggest to use to install codecs? Only specifically install those you actually need one by one?

Also, what video codec do you recommend to use for video editing?
    Both my TiVo and my TV capture card create MPEG2, and the end product often is a DVD - is it worth converting into an AVI just to edit and add effects and stuff and then reconvert?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I refer to Womble MPEG-VCR or MPEG Video Wizard, yes.
    The main site no longer has them for demo, but they are still available to be bought here:
    - MPEG-VCR for $19
    - or MPEG Video Wizard for $34
    - or MPEG Video Wizard DVD for $49.
    MPEG-VCR is best for TV shows only. The Video Wizard is better for editing, and the Video Wizard DVD also does AC3 encoding. I wouldn't use it to author a DVD, however -- just use it as the really good editor it is!

Premiere does not work well with MPEG, no. And it re-encodes everything. Not the best option.

Only install what you need, one by one, as you need it, yes. A playe rlike VLC doesn't even need system-wide codecs to play most formats. There's no legitimate reason to install a codec pack.

Your editing question really depend son what "add effects" means.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used VLC before, but didn't quite like it as much as Media Player Classic, but then I don't think that MPC can play anything unless the correct codec is installed.
    But then I didn't think VLC should be able to play anything without its codec...
    Is there a way to install codecs only to be used by MPC?

As for effects, I just mean editing in Premiere and using the Premiere built-in filters and effects and cross-over etc.
    If I have to use an AVI codec, which one is usually best for programs like Premiere? (Even though Premiere does re-encode it, anyway)

And I'll look into these programs and check if I can find an old demo still floating around somewhere so I can test it out.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, they (Womble) actually still have Demo versions on their site.

Thanks again for your help, so far the program looks nice!
    Quote Quote