VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So far I always coiled up my cables with access length and used cables ties to keep things neat and tidy. Power cables and audio cables. Now I read all sorts of things about electrical and magnetic fields. From fire hazards to audio distortion.

So 3-4 loops in a power cable ... and a few more on thin audio cables.
    What are the real life impacts / risks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My favorite color is blue because it is the best color ever.

Discuss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Where did you read such stuff? It reminds me of drivel written about high-end audio. It starts with reasonable things like making sure connectors are good, cable of adequate size, shielded when necessary. From there it goes off the deep end.

I don't suppose you also believe in $1,000 audio cables (by the foot!), cable demagnetizers, cable conditioning routines, and teakwood blocks ($) to get said cables off the floor?

Sorry, that last jab was unnecessary. Don't worry so much.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. sorry if that sounds stupid. here is the background:
    I looked at power extension cords on drums at a DIY market. They all have warnings to unwind them completely before using.

"If using a cable drum extension lead, it should be completely unwound to avoid overheating." (http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/electrical-items/extensions-and-leads/)

after a bit more google all sorts of "stuff" came up. that's why i asked:
    "[–]DonKnots 1 point 12 months ago Small coils, low power usually are not a big deal. 5 to 10 loops will only color the sound a bit, but 15 or 20 and 150 watts+ and you will start frying some amps."
    http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/1plbza/do_speaker_cable_run_lengths_effect_sound/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any device for which you need a heavy duty extension cord would typically draw a lot of current, and the extension cord often gets warm while in use. So yes, there is a danger of overheating if multiple layers are left coiled around the reel while the extension cord is in use. No such danger exists with a few loops of A/V cable. They do not carry enough current.

Speaker cables? I guess that depends on the speakers. All mine are low wattage.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A high current cable - especially if wound around an iron containing core - can overheat. But for audio/video level currents I wouldn't worry.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!