VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to this site and frankly it is making my head spin with all the info that is available. In the past I have always used DVD Fab to rip and Handbrake to encode but I am not happy with the results when I encode the .m2ts files using h264. I'm also using the mkv container which seems to be preferred by most. I have tinkered a lot with the settings of different encoding programs but always fail to get what I want for quality. I've come across some Blu-ray rips that have been encoded by other people and they are nothing short of awesome. At full screen playback the difference in quality as compared to the source is negligible. I'm experimenting on my own to get those results but need some advice on the best way to do it. I did give RipBot a try but came across this issue --->

I used the most recent version of RipBot to encode a Blu-ray file on my HDD which took around 10-12 hours and I'm having issues with playback. When I play the file back on Pot Player or Splash Lite I get a green screen but can hear the audio. I was able to play the file on VLC but at full screen noticed inferior picture quality. I could see pixelation in dark areas of the video. I used the mkv container with h264/AVC and a constant quality of 16. The profile [HI10 X.X] HD. PC Only. 10 Bit was used. x264 preset was set at default. I did not crop or resize. The output file size ended up being 7.6 GB. Why am I having problems with the other preferred media players? Did I not use the correct settings when I encoded? I would experiment but encoding is way too time consuming and resource hungry. Asking the right people is much more efficient.

BTW- I did use Media Player Classic and it seems to be the best for playback but still isn't perfect.
    Last edited by ot_welder; 11th Oct 2012 at 12:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Are you ripping with the most current version of DVDFab? I've seen weird encoding problems happen when not ripping with the most current version of a ripping program.
    2) Install MediaInfo and use it to open your problem file. Post the results here. We may be able to tell if an encoding option is causing your problems.

I like Xvid4PSP for encoding to various formats. Maybe you can try it and see if you like what it does better than the other programs you have used.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ot_welder View Post
    BTW- I did use Media Player Classic and it seems to be the best for playback but still isn't perfect.
    Did you mean Media Player Classic or MPC-HC? You should be using the latter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. General

Unique ID : 176605686871194892595285802042030265605 (0x84DD04A032BF3055B35C271A04379505)
    Complete name : D:\Video\video.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 7.61 GiB
    Duration : 2h 10mn
    Overall bit rate : 8 327 Kbps
    Movie name : video
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-10-09 12:29:52
    Writing application : mkvmerge v5.7.0 ('The Whirlwind') built on Jul 8 2012 20:08:51
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0
    Cover : Cover

Video

ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High 10@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 7 714 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.155
    Stream size : 7.05 GiB (93%)
    Writing library : x264 core 125 r2208 d9d2288
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=81 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio

ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 419 MiB (5%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

I'm using the latest version of DVDFab Blu-Ray Ripper trial. I've also used AnyDVD HD trial.
    Last edited by ot_welder; 11th Oct 2012 at 13:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by ot_welder View Post
    Did you mean Media Player Classic or MPC-HC? You should be using the latter.
    I meant MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote