VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured I would toss this out there because there are probably a lot of people in the same position that I am(was). The short version is that I was really worried that I would screw up this project in some form. I am 8 tapes in and everything is going very smooth. I decided to write up my experience and even posted a 10sec demo of raw video (with out audio to save on size) to show the quality that I am seeing. The clip is of what my room looked like as a kid after it was redone. You can read up on what I used and why below. The short version is I used a ADVC-110 and a consumer DVD/VCR combo and everything is working out good. I think this is because the quality of my tapes is still pretty solid.

Blog Post: http://www.geekwithopinions.com/2009/05/10/vhs-to-dvd-project/
    10Sec clip: http://www.geekwithopinions.com/media/Sample.avi

All in all, I am happy. I know that if I put more money into the project, the DVDs could look better. I don't have the money so I am going to have to settle. Thankfully everything is going well. I would like to thank VideoHelp for this going to so well. I am glad I stumbled upon the site because if I hadn't I have a felling it would have not went so well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oob
    All vertical lines in the image have "kinks" in them - this is what you get from VHS when using an ADVC110 without a TBC.

A TBC in the VCR would cure this. The processing built into certain DVD recorders would also fix this.

It's almost impossible to fix once captured. You're stuck with it now.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for pointing out what I already said...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This isn't restoration. Moving you to our Capture Forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I personally use a DVR for most of my transfers. But I use it for convenience, not because it's the best. I have/had 100s of tapes - a daunting task - unlike your dozen or so.

But with the ADVC-110, you will not find much better for the hobbyist. With the addition of a TBC (yeah you know ) you will have the best possible home solution your limited budget can buy - shop no further. The "next best" thing would be something much, much more expensive, and only really a bit better, and that is really for the professional houses that are actually in the business of doing this.

And yeah, I too have had lots of help from this site over the years - and even without asking anything for years previous before I even registered just by searches and reading. It took a while before I decided to jump on-board myself - so I give thanks (again!) to the community and I do enjoy returning the favor by helping others too.

VideoHelp has always been my top choice of general purpose video forums like no other - it's the first one I ever joined and still my favorite.

Geordie.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep Videohelp is the best!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree the next thing I should get a TBC but decided to see what the video looked like with out. I was happy with what I saw and just went with it. I know the "pros" will look at the sample and it will make them cringe because they know that a TBC would make it better. To me, I don't notice anything crazy so I am ok with it.

Basically the reason I do not have a TBC is because I could not justify to the family buying committee (aka my Wife). Just kidding honey....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oob
    Thank you for pointing out what I already said...
    With respect, I didn't see you say "there are wobbly lines clearly visible in my captures", or "if I'd bought a decent DVD recorder instead of an ADVC110 I might not have needed a TBC to fix the wobbly lines"

FWIW I've gone down the ADVC110 route too - I'm certainly not a professional - but I can clearly see that "VCR with no TBC" > "ADVC110" gives wobbly lines - worse than you see on a CRT TV when connecting a standard VCR to it.

For 13 tapes, I don't think I'd have spent any more money either - respect to your wife

btw, one thing you can fix: the levels are wrong. The ADVC110 expects correct video levels, but most consumer camcorders record "whiter than white". Most TVs will display this too, but PCs will clip it, and certain PC processing will clip it.

You could try this in AVIsynth...

Code:
    avisource("10 second Sample.avi")
    levels(0,1.0,255,10,235,coring=false)
    So while the duvet and the duck rug look "burnt out" in the typical home video way at present, with that levels adjustment you'll find that they exposure becomes correct and the details return to the "burnt out" areas.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you only have 13 tapes, it would be wiser to pay somebody that is using high-end equipment. You'll end up with a similar final cost, against buying all of it yourself. Then there's the obvious problem of knowing how to use the gear -- plus all the related time. Paying somebody else removes these burdens.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was an option I considered and should have put it in the post. I decided against it. Mainly because of my irrational fear of the mailing system.

@2Bdecided (David): Sorry about that comment, I was probably mad at my intern and took it out here or something I should have been more polite. I know the video can/could be better however for me I am good with where I am at. I will check up the suggestion with AVIsynth.
    Quote Quote  
  11. AviSource()
    Videoscope()
    preview in VirtualDub:

AviSource()
    ColorYUV(gain_y=-20)
    Videoscope()
    preview in VirtualDub:

Regarding the wavy edges and the need for a TBC: all those wavy edges will eat up bitrate when MPEG encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be bumping up this old post, but I have just been starting a similar project, and was amazed with your results.

could you please post your avisynth script ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ido22
    Sorry to be bumping up this old post, but I have just been starting a similar project, and was amazed with your results.

could you please post your avisynth script ?
    Who are you talking to?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Oob posted the original video, but any of you can help as well I suppose.
    I haven't started recording yet, just doing small tests, trying to create my personal workflow.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Everyone who mentioned AviSynth included their scripts already.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what other generic settings would you recommend using in the script for home made vhs-c videos ?

other then levels
    Quote Quote  
  17. It depends on what's wrong with your videos. You wouldn't use ColorYUV() or levels() unless your video needs it. I couldn't find the OP's blog post anymore. I don't remember what he might have done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try that blog link again tomorrow.

For some reason a crapload of servers are down today, including both of mine (diff providers, diff continents even). Totally sucks. Few of my friends in the same boat. Online vacation day.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote