VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I tried to run the portable version today downloaded from the tools section.

It attempted to install StrongVault backup. This is the first time I've ever seen a
    Potentially Unwanted Program piggy-backed on AVStoDVD.

Whether it came that way or not I don't know, but I thought I should mention it.

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure you downloaded the Portable Version?
    There's no StrongVault Stuff in there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I agree it seems strange.

A little while earlier, I had downloaded and installed 7-zip version 9.20 from Filehippo.
    I installed that first; nothing out of the ordinary was noticed.
    Shortly after I used 7zip to decompress the AVStoDVD archive - everything OK there,
    nothing strange observed.

It was when I clicked on the main A2D executable that it got weird. A box came up telling me StrongVault was being installed, at the same time the A2D wizard appeared, as it normally does for a first run.

The StrongVault install box allowed me to hit "cancel", but I had to do it 5 or 6 times, it kept
    reappearing, one right after the other .

I don't think it successfully installed - I'm now running malwarebytes to see if anything shows up.

It doesn't mean that it's definitely the AVStoDVD download, but I wanted to mention it because of the
    sequence of events.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    StrongVault was in the system, but was activated when certain exe files were opened.
    Not sure how that mechanism works, or how it got into the system, but I found a removal tool
    and it appears OK now. Of course, the AVStoDVD download is fine
    Quote Quote