VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to download from youtibe and convert the flv file to a compatible format for a powerpoint presentation. I've been following previous threads and have downloaded SUPER. Firstly I can't find the file once it's been converted (converting to MP4) any ideas.

The other thing I've notice is the quality is very poor when you blow it up. Is there a better way of doing this without spending money?

The presentation needs to be completed by Friday. Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers

Wattsy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First and foremost, if you just grab the lowest quality flv available through youtube then blowing it up will give you crap. Not much you can do about it.

While Office 2007, especially on Windows 7, offers better compatibility for more formats, including MP4, the easiest and most compatible is WMV. One of the simplest tools to download and convert in one hit is Any Video Converter Free. Beats SUPER hands down. Just set it to encode to WMV keeping the original resolution and a bitrate of 2000, then click on the Youtube button and paste in your URL.

If you want to get better quality videos (if available - remember that many older clips don't have high quality alternatives) then I suggest you use Video Download Helper with firefox to locate and download the highest quality format youtube has to offer, then convert this instead.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI SUPER will, by default, put the converted file in the root folder of you hard drive which will normally be "C:\"

You can change that by right-clicking the main screen and selecting 'output file management'

But saving/converting any file you are at the mercy of the original source and the coversion process of the site. You could get better results by using screen capture software as long as your connection will stream the clip without interruption.

You could also, if the site supports it, try HD mode playback and use Real-player which will down load the clip at the higher quality
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. It's worked the quality is propbably the best I'm going to get.

Thanks Again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    . . . try HD mode playback and use Real-player . . . . . . .
    Which unfortunately requires installing Real-Player
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    . . . try HD mode playback and use Real-player . . . . . . .
    Which unfortunately requires installing Real-Player
    I take it then you are no fan of Real-player ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was crap but necessary in the early days of streaming video, but has long been surpassed by other methods that don't require the installation of invasive and over bloated software. Real Player is to video playback what Nero is to DVD burning. Too big, and completely unnecessary.

That is just my opinion, of course
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    ...........Real Player is to video playback what Nero is to DVD burning. Too big, and completely unnecessary.

That is just my opinion, of course
    Fairy nuff.

I am no fan of real-video as a playback format. Videos tended to be of the 'postage stamp' size. Never use the beast for ANY playback unless absolutely necessary.

I was merely suggesting to the OP an alternative method of downloading at the highest available quality.

BTW. Thanks for the tip about Any Video Converter. I will certainly try that out instead of Super as there are a few Youtube vids on my radar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My first port of call for YT vids is video download helper. I would rather get the best possible version (if it exists) and convert it later. Any Video Converter should try to get the best version of the source, but I am not convinced. However it is certainly a simple solution for those in a hurry.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote